AWD family car or SUV - Tiguan or Escape or A4 Avant ?

Watever

Legacy Member
With my outlander 2005 now at 280k and getting some small mechanical problem.

+ The fact that a first baby will come in summer, I am looking to replace the car. I will go with a used one, money is also an issue since we will be selling the apartment and looking to purchase a house in the next few months.

I want to keep it AWD or 4WD, once you go on that side you just can't go back :D

I know you can put kids and stuff (like my GF is saying) in a sedan or even a small compact but I am not interrested in. We also plan on increasing the family to 3 kids, but it will take time and when we get there, my gf car will probably be the one replaced.

I plan on keeping this car as long as it's reliable (cost and breakdown) and safe, just like the one I currently have.
I usually do approx 30,000 km per year (probably drop with young kids, but still going to work and my parents cottage in vacation), so fuel efficiency is an issue.

First I wanted an A4 avant, but the price is high and still few out there. Not sure on reliability and cost.

I like the escape 2009+ (for 6 speed transmission) cause the used price are good and ford is still reliable from my experience.

I prefer the Tiguan look, just doesn't like the high octane requirement, but it's a turbo, probably better to drive than the other ones. A bit more expensive also.

I discarded the CRV cause I hate the look, the RAV4 is an option for it's reliability and efficiency, just expensive and doesn't like much of the look. The new gen of outlander is too big I think. They tried to please too many and don't think it worked.

What's your opinions and recommandations on theses ?

Also, would it be worth it to grab a "transfer lease" on a tiguan. Like one with just a few months left, and then buy the balance ?
Seems like the balance is quite often lower than the used sale value. Am I right ?

Tiguan is a very small vehicule for it's class.
A4 avant probably offer the same space, but with more fun to drive factor.
I personally wouldn't buy an Escape so...

My choice would be a wagon over Tiguan, and if you go with a small suv, I'd take a look on the SantaFe last gen. (20k$) or 2012- (16k$ and less).

You did not mention $ range

Mitsubishi RVR would be a pretty good option.

But you ask for something that requires more informations like price range? Year? etc

Ceux qui ont des Escape, ils conduisent comme des imbeciles en bonne parti. Vas y au look, parce que je pense pas que l'utiliter a de l'importance dans ce que t'as reelement besoin.

[QUOTE='SeCuRiT]I'll get flamed for this, but Outback.[/QUOTE]
The 3.6r would be a good option. I'd stay far from the 2.5 just to avoid any reliability issues.

Price Range?

A CR-V would be the most rational choice but if you don't like you don't like it.

Tiguan is really small, especially the trunk. + turbo engine
A4 wagon is nice, trunk space is better than the Tiguan but it will be more expensive to buy and run.

Did you think about a 4cyl equinox or terrain? Forester? Outback? Legacy Wagon?

If you go V6 an additional option would be a Journey.

Price Range?

A CR-V would be the most rational choice but if you don't like you don't like it.

Tiguan is really small, especially the trunk. + turbo engine
A4 wagon is nice, trunk space is better than the Tiguan but it will be more expensive to buy and run.

Did you think about a 4cyl equinox or terrain? Forester? Outback? Legacy Wagon?

If you go V6 an additional option would be a Journey.

Journey R/T AWD 2011 + j'avoue que c'est un excellent choix rapport qualité/prix.

ahh tu vraiment détester tant que ca ton outlander???

puisque question fiabilité garantie et espace il devrait revenir dans tes choix

tu peut facile avoir un outander V6 avec le 7 passager (ok c'est back up mais anyway tes kid vont etre dans des banc de bébé pour un bout anyway
pour le prix et fiabilité/garantie tu peut pas te tromper....mais yas des coté négatif.....interieur fade a mort (tu sais de quoi je parle.....lol

si tu veut un meilleur intérieur, mais laideur extérieur tu y va avec nouveau modèle et l'inverse, avec précédente génération.....
tu as le budget pour le XLS...go for it, best AWD system on VUS....for real

Mitsubishi RVR would be a pretty good option.

But you ask for something that requires more informations like price range? Year? etc

a pars pour la petite économie de gaz le RVR et outlander sont tres prêt en valeur dans le used, moi je dirais opter pour outlander VS RVR pour n'importe qui puisque c'Est presque le même prix (dans le neuf par contre le RVR reviens un moins cher et est vraiment plus beau)

Les petits SUV du genre sont souvent batit sur une plate forme automobile et l'espace intérieur est minime.

Magasine avec ton siege de bébé pcq tu pourrais faire un criss de saut.... (la coquille je parle)

Les petits SUV du genre sont souvent batit sur une plate forme automobile et l'espace intérieur est minime.

Magasine avec ton siege de bébé pcq tu pourrais faire un criss de saut.... (la coquille je parle)

X2

Je voulais garder la coquille dans mon A4 jusqu'à ce que mon fils ai 2 ans (Plus sécuritaire face vers l'arrière) et j'ai du changer pour un siège qui fait face vers l'avant à 15 mois vu que ces pieds touchais au bancs...

Escape, best bang for the buck.

J'ai un Escape 2014 pour la compagnie et j'aime bien, j'avais essayé le Tiguan et le fuck it est venu assez vite.

Last edited:
3 flows dans un tiguan avec la bonne femme et tout le nécéssaire, oublie ça. Ma chums en a 3 (4,2 et 1) ils ont un outlander avec un hamburger sur le top et le truck est loadé.

Ca va sonner vraiment weird la, de toute facon je suis pas une reference (tout le monde le sait, regarde ce que je possede) mais une sienna v6 awd? Je la trouve malade cette minivan la, la tenue de route je la trouvais tres surprenante. Je trouvais la mini van agile pour sa taille. Je la trouve tres belle egalement.

A toute personne trouvant la suggestion trop loufoque, dont bother replying, passez par dessus.

Last edited:
Ceci dit, pour un petit SUV neuf, all-around je trouve vraiment que le Mazda CX-5 GT AWD est le meilleur bang for the buck.

Pour ma part, quand l'usine à bébé va partir, je compte me procurer un Acura MDX SH-AWD used second gen, c'est des méchante beasts, fiable et très performant (awd wise)

J'ai eu une Acura TL pendant quelques années et j'ai adoré la fiabilité et la qualité des produits Acura.

Get a Mazda CX-9 and call it a day!

Personally, I love the A4 avant, and a better buy than the Tiguan. However, since you are budget and reliability minded, that should be taken into consideration. See my suggestion above! They can be found in AWD, have a very reliable motor, take 87 octane, etc.

Having a price range would help with the suggestions.

Back