Volvo owners good expereices -- bad experiences?

Volvo pas axé performance? Ils ont vendu des tonnes et des tonnes de Volvo T5, alors que chez BMW ils devaient vendre 10 320i et 323i pour deux 330i (à peu près de puissance égale à une T5 mais sans potentiel tuning facile) et une M3.
I think.... That I'm starting.... To

Like Broody.

J'ai jamais été décu de la performance de mes volvo b230ft/T5. Manque pas de support aftermarket non plus.

had a 2004 xc70 and loved it, now my GF got a xc90 v8, damn he is nice, and not too thirsty, maybe my next one will not be a VAG!!!!!
IMG_20140802_163119216_HDR.jpg

i own a 2009 volvo s60 2.5t awd. Bought it in 2011 and never had any issue with it, only regular maintenance like any other cars. Currently for sale since im switching back to a suv. The new volvo polestar is one mean car

J'ai un C30 T5 6 vitesse 2011. C'est faux de dire que c'Est chere en pièce. Entk pour le voiture avec la plateforme P1 c'est plutôt raisonable. C'est pas la voiture la plus fun à conduire, les rapport de vitesse sont très espacé et la clutch feel vague. Le T5 est fun a bas régime mais s'essoufle vite. Bonne voiture overall.

avec le 2.3 turbo @ 23lbs c'était plus rapide que ma Fox body 5 litre.
+1 en tabarnak. Ça se réveille très rapidement une fois que l'on "ose" faire qqch.
Faut jamais sous estimer car.. On pourrait avoir du plaisir !!!!

Désolé drunk post envoyé de quelque part dans le nord.

Great cars, 09 v70 is very good, they fixed up the little flaws from the previous Gen, it's also the new body and new interior in those. If memory serves me right, they ditched putting t5s in that body so it available with the i6 or t6. Mixed reviews on both engines, personally I love the 6, it was developed in 1993, similar engine to the 2jz (design wise). Very smooth and reliable but again, aluminum bloc so be sure to go religious in the oil changes.

S40 t5 is solid as hell, the motor is the same as you had in 850 s70 v70 xc70 c70 xc90... Best thing is simply to check for recalls (like any newer car). C30 is a very good car only thing is that body parts are very expensive. Transmission are very sturdy and like any other very easy to tune, elevate, heico, adr, polestar.

Can't really go wrong.

V40 are very decent cars, very hard to tune however since they run a pricey Siemens ECM which requires a wizard to run higher boost.
However the newer generation v50 which is the same body type is available with the legendary t5 and in awd and in manual transmission. You can't really go wrong with that combo.

The v40, keep in mind in which year it came to North America, was available in Europe as of 96... Using a Mitsubishi motor 1.9 or 2.0 t, we never got the 2.0 which actually has the easily tunable ECM.

Other great platforms are 98 v70R, loads of power, leather and suede...

Thank you for your knowledge.

I was really just looking for a reliable daily. Is it true that any V40 will end up having electrical issues? That's what I hear the most. If it hasn't been dealt with already, it will happen.

I was always afraid of turbo engines just because they're forced-induced; I'm guessing the Volvo T5's are bulletproof?

I was really just looking for a reliable daily. Is it true that any V40 will end up having electrical issues? That's what I hear the most. If it hasn't been dealt with already, it will happen.

I was always afraid of turbo engines just because they're forced-induced; I'm guessing the Volvo T5's are bulletproof?

J'ai eu plus de 15 voitures en 8 ans. Mes 3 dernières sont des Volvos T5 manuelles...

Frankly, this is the first time I hear of electrical issues on V40's. Electronic's wise, all I know is that the SIEMENS system is a PITA if you want to tune it and or upgrade turbos.

If I were in your shoes (since wagon seems to be of choice) I'd look more into V70/V70R/XC70/V50 since they run the real deal, non SIEMENS system and they sport a motor that is actually made by Volvo (v40's motors are designed and fabricated by mitsubishi)(if you scout Garaget a little, you'll see a lot of V40/S40 owners swapped with Saab motors or going a bit more hardcore and putting in T5's *which is a hell of a job*).
Don't get me wrong, even when I ran shop I had 4-5 customers with V40's (youngest was 04) and they were all cars with over 250k km. Regular maintenance, one customer had an issue with a rear passenger window that fell because his son was an idiot. Other than weird rust appearing on the trunk lid I really can't say these were problematic cars in any way.

Have no fear, boost is here. Turbo engines are as prone to failure as N/A engines, it's all about the oil man! On my cars, flush or ''pre-lube service'' as garages like to call it, every two changes. I've found out with time and by dicking around that Turboed Volvos have much better fuel efficiency than NA.

Common failures are the flex pipe (at the end of the downpipe) on all Volvos, since it's there to prevent stress hitting the manifold/collector/turbo. But hit up a spot like Federal Muffler or Silencieux Gallo and you can get it replaced for under 60$ (VS going to a garage that tells you you need to replace the exhaust manifold because the flex pipe comes with it lol, woohoo 800$ plus gaskets plus labor plus your left nut).

Being a RWD guy, I've enjoyed T5's in family member's cars, friends cars and bought an 855 T5 Sportswagen last year... I couldn't believe how well it was going considering the mileage, loads of power accross the dial with boost coming in early and keeping up until cut-off. I've seen people mistreat, beat and try to kill these motors with little to no success. Depending on the platform they are in the system that runs them adapts itself very well, they take 12-15psi over stock setting... Completely stock internals/head/intake + exhaust manifold and on the same injectors.

So i figure if in the hands of a nut and it's long lasting: it's more than enough on a DD.

Told my self, If there is ever a gun to my head and I am obligated to get a car newer than 1996, I'd go for a V70R 1998-2007, I wouldn't even care if it was standard or automatic :p

Best advice I can give you is to go try a few models to see what fits your needs and what brings a smile to your face. If you want to try out some newer models and see certified models, check out Volvo Laval, ask for my buddy Louis, it would be his delight to find you the right car (he deals with a large network, so he can even get an out of province car).

A bit late but as a Volvo Owner since 2006, I can confirm that they are great cars. Much more reliable then a bunch of annonymous posters claim on web sites.. that or they came from a 1992 Honda Civic/Accord or Jap box with 2 computers in it. Comfort and safety are known values for Volvo. I personnaly drive a 1998 S70 T5 SE, which is over 17 years old (made in April 1997) and I am still in love with my car. As Marek stated, it's good to know someone who can work on the car you will buy for basic maintenance, just make sure you keep a copy of your bill for any "warranty" work if your car is less than 4 years old or has less than 80 000 KM. If you are buying a 7+ year old Volvo, make sure to get it checked out, because a good Volvo is one that has been well kept, (like any luxury brand that is).

We went to check out a few 2009 V70's for my gf (we're in Toronto btw). I like the car but my gf has long legs and they hit the steering column when she's positioned comfortably.

Here's the deal, we're getting ready for a huge month long road trip this summer (15000km) and are looking to buy a nice big comfy car. Her and i can lie down in the trunk of the car with the seats down and we fit, so we can sometimes sleep inside the V70. I'm also looking at XC60's, do you have any insight on those? Best years and so on. I told her i would like to avoid SUV's or CUV's but she's has a say in it too..

A bit late but as a Volvo Owner since 2006, I can confirm that they are great cars. Much more reliable then a bunch of annonymous posters claim on web sites.. that or they came from a 1992 Honda Civic/Accord or Jap box with 2 computers in it. Comfort and safety are known values for Volvo. I personnaly drive a 1998 S70 T5 SE, which is over 17 years old (made in April 1997) and I am still in love with my car. As Marek stated, it's good to know someone who can work on the car you will buy for basic maintenance, just make sure you keep a copy of your bill for any "warranty" work if your car is less than 4 years old or has less than 80 000 KM. If you are buying a 7+ year old Volvo, make sure to get it checked out, because a good Volvo is one that has been well kept, (like any luxury brand that is).
+1

We went to check out a few 2009 V70's for my gf (we're in Toronto btw). I like the car but my gf has long legs and they hit the steering column when she's positioned comfortably.

Here's the deal, we're getting ready for a huge month long road trip this summer (15000km) and are looking to buy a nice big comfy car. Her and i can lie down in the trunk of the car with the seats down and we fit, so we can sometimes sleep inside the V70. I'm also looking at XC60's, do you have any insight on those? Best years and so on. I told her i would like to avoid SUV's or CUV's but she's has a say in it too..

XC60's are odd, like any brand, stay away from the first generation. Any engine in it is good and proven.
Personally I do not like these ''crossovers'' whether a Volvo or anything else.

I find it a bit odd that your GF's legs touch the column, I'm 1,93cm and my legs don't touch, yet I usually slam my seat as low as possible and as far back as I can, I do not enjoy driving with my legs bent.

Check out the xc90, if you can try to find a Premium Package one, they are simply awesome, 2.5t, t6 or V8 (surprisingly the v8 is the most economical one). Stay away of course from the first gens, they really enjoy chewing up wheel bearings for some reason that is still unknown to humanity...

My uncle recently bought a 2013 Xc70 with the premium, cappuccino interior, the car is a delight, T6, I've never seen him as happy in a car (he's an engineer) and just turned 66, first thing he said is ''damn this thing is fast'' and proceeded to give me a semi heart attack by driving towards a wall not holding the steering and the car stopping by itself.. Your left or right ass cheeck also vibrates when someone is in your dead angle. At first I thought I was just happy to try a new Volvo lol.

I know I'm not sticking to bricks when I say this: check out 2003-2008 Mercedes E350 E550 wagons, they are also freaking amazing cars w211 and up. Again, V8 scares the masses, but it's a VERY economical engine combined with an 8 speed gearbox.

Back