Volvo owners good expereices -- bad experiences?

Frankly, this is the first time I hear of electrical issues on V40's. Electronic's wise, all I know is that the SIEMENS system is a PITA if you want to tune it and or upgrade turbos.

If I were in your shoes (since wagon seems to be of choice) I'd look more into V70/V70R/XC70/V50 since they run the real deal, non SIEMENS system and they sport a motor that is actually made by Volvo (v40's motors are designed and fabricated by mitsubishi)(if you scout Garaget a little, you'll see a lot of V40/S40 owners swapped with Saab motors or going a bit more hardcore and putting in T5's *which is a hell of a job*).
Don't get me wrong, even when I ran shop I had 4-5 customers with V40's (youngest was 04) and they were all cars with over 250k km. Regular maintenance, one customer had an issue with a rear passenger window that fell because his son was an idiot. Other than weird rust appearing on the trunk lid I really can't say these were problematic cars in any way.

Have no fear, boost is here. Turbo engines are as prone to failure as N/A engines, it's all about the oil man! On my cars, flush or ''pre-lube service'' as garages like to call it, every two changes. I've found out with time and by dicking around that Turboed Volvos have much better fuel efficiency than NA.

Common failures are the flex pipe (at the end of the downpipe) on all Volvos, since it's there to prevent stress hitting the manifold/collector/turbo. But hit up a spot like Federal Muffler or Silencieux Gallo and you can get it replaced for under 60$ (VS going to a garage that tells you you need to replace the exhaust manifold because the flex pipe comes with it lol, woohoo 800$ plus gaskets plus labor plus your left nut).

Being a RWD guy, I've enjoyed T5's in family member's cars, friends cars and bought an 855 T5 Sportswagen last year... I couldn't believe how well it was going considering the mileage, loads of power accross the dial with boost coming in early and keeping up until cut-off. I've seen people mistreat, beat and try to kill these motors with little to no success. Depending on the platform they are in the system that runs them adapts itself very well, they take 12-15psi over stock setting... Completely stock internals/head/intake + exhaust manifold and on the same injectors.

So i figure if in the hands of a nut and it's long lasting: it's more than enough on a DD.

Told my self, If there is ever a gun to my head and I am obligated to get a car newer than 1996, I'd go for a V70R 1998-2007, I wouldn't even care if it was standard or automatic :p

Best advice I can give you is to go try a few models to see what fits your needs and what brings a smile to your face. If you want to try out some newer models and see certified models, check out Volvo Laval, ask for my buddy Louis, it would be his delight to find you the right car (he deals with a large network, so he can even get an out of province car).

Wow I seriously appreciate all of your help. I was looking at V40s due to their lower gas consumption being a small 1.9T. No performance needed; just a fairly reliable daily for my wife, that I can use on weekends to work, instead of my lowered e46. My e46 already costs me quite a bit in maintenance, so I was hoping to get a reliable wagon other than a Jetta/Passat.

I was looking for a v70 2.4L and passed on a few cause of the bigger engine. I kind of regret passing on the ones I've seen.

Once wild Marek appears in a Volvo thread.

There's no stopping him!

How's your dads Volvo!? And when you getting your own!?

Once wild Marek appears in a Volvo thread.

There's no stopping him!

How's your dads Volvo!? And when you getting your own!?

I need to get back in the game... Would love to find a 1992-1994 940 wagon, turbo or not. It take a whole 5 hours to turbo it anyway lol.

My pop's Volvo is rocking, he wants to get an S60 now, he actually hates the new body so it's really hard to find a super low mileage 06/07. I've been hunting them in Florida. Spotted one that sold immediatly, 2007 S60 T5 ASR package with... wait for it... wait for it.... 13 000 miles on the clock. for 10kUSD.

If can't find that for him he might leave the Volvo game :( he is just fed up of seeing it and wants change.

Marek, you make me want to buy an old as fuck Volvo and keep it.

Dude, they are so fucking fun!!!! Worse thing is even at 350 000km you'll bring it to 550 000km and be like ''Watafak!!''.

They love bewst, they have about 37 spots on which you can open a beer bottle...

In my 240 Wagon I once had a washer, a dryer, shelves, a TV, a folding table and chairs ... And boost... I schooled a Turbo Integra on my way from Ottawa to Montreal, we pulled out at the Flyin J for gas the guy was like ''yo what do you have in that thing???? Iz So fast'' I just fucking popped my trunk... The guy's face was priceless...

Ohhhhhhh Wagon Whoring Time!!!!!

IMG_3484.jpg
[/IMG]
I KNOW I HAVE A VOLVO PROBLEM OK.... DON'T F*CKING JUDGE ME.

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

Damn I loved that car...

Non wagon whoring
IMG_2176.jpg

Just a quick engine swap in the driveway
IMG_1488.jpg

b*tch so sturdy you can stand on the fender to take a f'n picture
IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Picture264.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Picture256.jpg

Picture254.jpg

Red was at 247k km in those pics...

Damn needed to get that out... Sorry guys

Where does a person can get a wagon 240 like that in good shape? How much do they go for?

I sold mine for 4800 If memory serves me right.

Quebec doesn't have any left.
Ontario however
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...le/1044214883?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
if you get it, hit me up, I have all those missing trims, some are even NOS
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...on/1043187620?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

not wagon but hard-on, such rare colour, so wow, many happy
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...an/1038873616?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...an/1024372134?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

BC
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...on/1046768650?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Marek est ce que tu habite a Beloeil? Le driveway du swap moteur me fais penser a une maison que j'ai vu avec 3-4 Volvo devant.

Marek est ce que tu habite a Beloeil? Le driveway du swap moteur me fais penser a une maison que j'ai vu avec 3-4 Volvo devant.
Non monsieur, je viens de la ville-ôni-dpoules

Je pense que tu pense à un ami à qui je pense.
2a7a0_1310235.jpg

Ce ne serait pas à La Prairie par hasard le driveway dont tu parle?

Nope c'est bien a beloeil pres du bord de l'eau. Il y a donc un autre fan fini de Volvo dans la région lol.

Hahahaha!
Jte jure, once you go volvo, you can't go back.

Man à mon moment le plus sombre de ma Gearhead life... J'en avais 7...

Généralement ce sont des voitures fiables? C'est sur que c'est vieux ça je le comprends mais côté moteur tranny etc? Ça se dd tu sans avoir trop de pépins? Est ce compliqué de faire rentrer une auto de l Ontario?

A lire Marek, il donne le gout dans posseder une et d'avoir une confiance pleinement aveugle en la fiabilité des produits de Volvo.

Hahahahahhhaha les volvo Red block rwd vraiment... C'est une joke de travailler dessus, timing belt pompe eau 45mins si tu est moindrement équipé et tu as de la bière froide, préférablement de la grolsch. Moteur... Intuable sérieusement, tu peux sûrement le sauter si tu met une cam aggressive et un turbo trop gros mais bon, non lol, je n'ai jamais réussi. C'est aucunement capricieux, entretien minime en coûts ça ne prend que 4L d'huile, tranny en prend 10, les filtre respectif sont sous les 10$. Franchement le pire trouble que tu aura sera un mass air flow défectueux, un engine coolant temperature sensor, ou un idle control valve sale...
Ça se DD les yeux fermés, consommation d'essence dépendra du poids de ton pied, turbo sera plus économe.
Si la voiture roule et est plaquée en ontario elle passe ici à 99% du temps, l'importation ne prend que les papier d'enregistrement du proprio, aucune lettre, aucun proxy, tu remplis un simple formulaire à la saaq et il t'envois passer une inspection.

Regarde à la première page pour les fournisseurs de pièces, achète tes bougies uniquement chez VOLVO. Met du suprême, car étonnement elle consome moins avec de l'essence de qualité. (perso je met de la 94 dans ma tondeuse).

D3STRO, j'aurais toujours confiance en une voiture qui a cachée sa radio sur mon siège arrière en me faisant rentrer dedans... Sortir de la voiture avec les larmes aux yeux et... RIEN sur ma voiture (la rouge) pourtant la Ford taurus qui m'a rentrée dans le cul avec les deux roues plié, le hood plié en deux, 4 liquides qui coulaient parterre, airbag ouvert et le gars était sonné.

Mais je vous le dis, je suis un gars de Benz aussi, donc mon opinion n'ai pas trop trop biaisé. Je donne mon input ici pour vous aider :) je suis une personne straight up et croyez moi je n'ai aucune raison de vous raconter de bêtises.

Enzo731, s90 Wagon you mean v90 bitch! Awesome car... So refined... Last Rwd volvo ever made... It's simply sweet over designed and delightful to drive or be driven in. I6 irs, and you can slap a t6 head in and TT that ass anytime. motronic system so it takes boost welll, no need to change or dick with the ecm

Lol, ca donne le gout encore plus tes posts. Sont tellement pas cheres en plus surtout pour l etat. Tu parles d'un setup turbo sur un 240...meme turbo ca reste fiable? Rien de bien fou la, un setup de base pour y donner un tantinet de power...Ca implique quoi comme couts environs? Honnetement les volvos je pense que ca doit faire depuis toujours que je les trouves super belles, vieilles comme recentes mais j ai tjrs eu tres peur des couts d entretien, de reparation et la fiabilité. Honnetement, j aimerais vraiment seulement rwd et wagon. A moins de tripper solide sur un 240 pas wagon... C est ecoeurant, toutes les volvos qui sont pas cheres ont 220-250-300-400 000km....!! Un moment donné je pense que ca prouve la fiabilité.

Edit je viens de voir entre 5-800$ pour turbo.

Back