WTB for 5000$ or less? / Quoi acheter pour 5000$ et moins?

Whenever I want to buy a new car I always write everything down on paper to weigh the plus's and minus's, so I can see which makes sense. Then I narrow it down and go test drive a bunch of those cars (even if I can't afford it) so that I can compare all of them and use certain things as barometers. That way even if I don't know the car very well, I'll know something is up after having driven more than a few.

I'll make you a mini list to help visualize things.

Cobalt SS

The good
- Cheap to maintain
- Good on fuel
- Cheap replacement parts

The bad
- SC isn't fast or reliable, TC is out of budget
- Cheap "plastic-y" interior
- Small trunk opening and small trunk space
- Rear leg room/head room is minimal in coupe
- Demographics who own are young and they're thrashed

SRT4

The good
- Fast
- Easy to work on
- Lots of available parts

The bad
- Not the most reliable
- Demographics who own are you and they're thrashed
- Cheap "plastic-y" interior
- People brand you as a Neon driver

Mazdaspeed 3/6

The good
- Very refined high quality interior
- Fast
- Lots of cargo space
- Easy to mod (accessport)

The bad
- Pre 2007.5 Mazdas are WAY MORE prone to body rust
- Bad PCV/smoking turbo (speed 6 is more prone to issue)
- Usually thrashed as well

BMW E46

The good
- Good fuel eco
- High quality refined interior
- RWD
- Great handling

The bad
- Known to have body rust
- Known to consume oil
- Vanos issues?

Miata

The good
- Fun to drive
- Good on fuel
- Easy to mod (potential)

The bad
- Will rust or already has
- Minimal space for cargo
- Cold in the winter (soft top)
- Handling issues in snow? Non LSD and no weight over rear axel?

From skimming this thread these seem to be rather debated, so hopefully that can help you weigh your options a little better. My write up was brief and not very conclusive though haha.

You're looking for a blend of interior quality, performance and utility and frankly there aren't that many cars out there that offer all that WITHOUT some form of compromise so it's up to you to figure out what you're willing to sacrifice on!

Honestly man if I were you I'd look at B6 A4 Wagons. Great cars, just stay away from the allroad. Heck even a WRX wagon would be nice. They're around that range in auto and sometimes if youre lucky a single owner old lady will be selling hers, I've seen it on more than one occasion.

Best of luck.

Expliques-moi en quoi une BMW (e36 ou e46) est une best bang for the buck?

C'est pas comme si les pièces et le coûts d'entretien étaient parmi les plus abordables.

ratio Fun/$$
le handling debile, le freinage super et le power plus que suffusant.
la consomation tres correct
pour ce qui est des parts, il y a bcp de support after market, et aussi bcp de pieces used sur le marcher..
bref moi acheter une auto RWD avec 5000$ ca serait fort probablement un e36,
il y a aussi bcp de e46 interessant dans ce range de prix, mais jai deja un e46 330i et je veux changer pour un e36 :)

ratio Fun/$$
le handling debile, le freinage super et le power plus que suffusant.
la consomation tres correct
pour ce qui est des parts, il y a bcp de support after market, et aussi bcp de pieces used sur le marcher..

bref moi acheter une auto RWD avec 5000$ ca serait fort probablement un e36,
il y a aussi bcp de e46 interessant dans ce range de prix, mais jai deja un e46 330i et je veux changer pour un e36 :)

Tout ce qui est gras s'applique aussi à la Cooper S. Je vois pas encore que c'est le best bang for the buck si tu prends pas les coûts et la facilité d'entretiens en considération. Et une BMW à moins de 5000$, c'est un miss parce que ce sont, pour la plupart, des vidanges qui demandent de l'entretien qui a été précédemment négligé. Toutes les allemandes de grand luxe ont toutes ça comme symptômes: manque d'entretien hérité des précédents propriétaires.

Cobalt SS
- Good on fuel

Le model supercharged est moyennement bon pour l'économie d'essence... je me suis promener longtemps avec un ion redline S/C et pour faire de la route sa boit quand meme beaucoup... Mais c'est vraiment le fun comme char et c'est un peu sleeper pour ceux qui connaissent pas sa :p

ca vaut tu la peine de regarder les Cobalt SS

Oublie pas que c'est un ''upgrade'' de Cavalier.....

En tk touche pas a un Srt4 un Néon déguisé, le pire FAIL de Chrysler de tout les temps qu'est le NéRon !

Si tu veut pas de ''bobos'' et un nice ride, va falloir mettre plus que 5000$.

Last edited:
Back