Porsche 991 GT3 RS Specs leaked

At least offer the 6 MT as a 25k option or whatever

it goes again the design of the car. They built the engine with the tranny in mind.

pretty sure that why they're offering the GT4. Less of a handfull to handle and more of a fun track car than a track weapon.

Mclaren wont make a 650s with a stick,, when was the last ferrari with a stick ? you know where I'm going.

That means recalibrating the entire traction control system, amongst potentially a bunch of things. Considering the volume, it's unreasonable.

Most current 991 GT3 owners that I know fell in love with PDK and simply wouldn't go back to a 997 GT3.

I don't know MANY gt3 owners so I can't comment on that. But I would say to probably many 997 owners that sold them for a 991 are crying at night when they see how crazy the prices went in the last 6months

I dunno why people complain about the PDK on a 991 gt3. Of course with the old 997 it didn't make sense since the car was introduced in 2006-7. The game has changed since.
If they want their flagship car compete with the other big names like mclaren and Ferrari it HAS to be PDK. They need to extra tenth to sell cars and play the WAR of numbers and track time.

I agree. The move towards PDK is motivated by bragging rights, among other things. However, since these cars are street driven and offer a warranty, I suspect a PDK in full auto mode will see a whole lot less broken synchros warranty claims.

However, the "it's faster" argument is totally moot. These are not racecars, and only a fraction of them will ever see a timed event. Most will see trackdays however. I fail to see how an ordinary gentlemen will need to be 1 second a lap faster in a point-to-pass, untimed track day. No way he will know the difference. However, Porsche knows this and does not want to see a bunch of their cars on Youtube being slammed backwards in the armco because the gentleman did not rev match properly. That I suspect is THE reason PDKs are mandatory.

Ill take my supercar with a PDK please. So I can keep both hand on the wheels and not destroy it or kill myself

If you are not able to deal with what your car can dish out, I would advise against tracking, or even purchasing it in the first place. Simply put, it's not the car for you.

But I understand that cars can also be vanity items, and that for some only the fastest car will do. This is a dangerous things, as high end street cars have capabilities well beyond what was considered racecar territory a decade ago. The only thing keeping those cars on the road are the driving aids, and I see PDK as such an aid.

But you can't stop progress, I guess.

I agree. The move towards PDK is motivated by bragging rights, among other things. However, since these cars are street driven and offer a warranty, I suspect a PDK in full auto mode will see a whole lot less broken synchros warranty claims.

However, the "it's faster" argument is totally moot. These are not racecars, and only a fraction of them will ever see a timed event. Most will see trackdays however. I fail to see how an ordinary gentlemen will need to be 1 second a lap faster in a point-to-pass, untimed track day. No way he will know the difference. However, Porsche knows this and does not want to see a bunch of their cars on Youtube being slammed backwards in the armco because the gentleman did not rev match properly. That I suspect is THE reason PDKs are mandatory.

If you are not able to deal with what your car can dish out, I would advise against tracking, or even purchasing it in the first place. Simply put, it's not the car for you.

But I understand that cars can also be vanity items, and that for some only the fastest car will do. This is a dangerous things, as high end street cars have capabilities well beyond what was considered racecar territory a decade ago. The only thing keeping those cars on the road are the driving aids, and I see PDK as such an aid.

lets just say the real things...there's a market for 200-300k cars and the buyers are not profesionnal race car driver.

99% of porsche owners should sell their cars and get a FRS if we follow your logic.

There's probably as much to enjoy driving a race prep E36 m3 10\10 than driving and 991 gt3 7\10 on a track.

Lots of pure speculative non-sense.

Porsche did not implement the PDK because of GT3 owners crashing their cars on YouTube; that is truly the crappiest argument I have seen for it.

Buyers in this segment want the latest and greatest, manual transmissions are past their prime and limit a car's ability to perform even in the hands of the best track drivers out there. These buyers care about bragging rights, ultimate pure speed and performance, without even knowing if they, themselves, could actually do it.

Nobody will tell these guys to step away from purchasing these cars because they can't handle it; again pure non sense. At the speed these cars are going, no one but pros could actually drive these on the track with a manual and have any fun. They rev too fast, have too much cornering grip and simply reach speeds that make shifting your own gears an excess process.

The paradigm has shifted with the 991 generation; the GT3 has become the halo pure speed sports car of the brand. The "fun" track toy has been relegated to the GT4. Arguably I still think the GT3 can have more fun factor because of its engine, however that is solely my opinion, thanks Porsche for giving the option this time around.

Lots of these discussions tend to underestimate the fun in rifling gears with a PDK at 9,000 RPM when it wails like no 997 ever did and smacks into the next gear with a spine tingling gunshot sound.

I'd take a GT4 with PDK and chase 997.2 RS guys anyday :)

W

Last edited:
tumblr_inline_neyjcsJf4p1s6m44z.gif

Downshifting multiple gears under severe braking while doing perfect rev match is a rewarding feat in itself. Even more so at higher rpms.

At the speed these cars are going, no one but pros could actually drive these on the track with a manual and have any fun. They rev too fast, have too much cornering grip and simply reach speeds that make shifting your own gears an excess process.

The paradigm has shifted with the 991 generation; the GT3 has become the halo pure speed sports car of the brand. The "fun" track toy has been relegated to the GT4. Arguably I still think the GT3 can have more fun factor because of its engine, however that is solely my opinion, thanks Porsche for giving the option this time around.

Lots of these discussions tend to underestimate the fun in rifling gears with a PDK at 9,000 RPM when it wails like no 997 ever did and smacks into the next gear with a spine tingling gunshot sound.

I'd take a GT4 with PDK and chase 997.2 RS guys anyday :)

W

What I am saying is speculative nonsense... And then you prove my point.

Ok, then... We are saying the same exact thing: this Porsche has become too much car for the average GT3 buyer. This is why they have to make the car more manageable. The prospective buyers are much too caught up in them selves to realise this and will want to have tip-top cars.

Oh, and for the record, Porsche got a LOT of grief about the Carrera GTs clutch, which was too much car for their owners. Also, a few people got in trouble with then as well, some of it on camera, too (Youtube it, you'll be surprised at the amount you'll see). It didn't reflect too well on the car, and Porsche is acutely aware of this and I'm certain this had a lot to do with the fact this 991 is PDK only. But I just speculating, of course.

La je suis un peu mélangé. Je donne des réponses sérieuses et tu dis que je troll? Pas trop sûr de comprendre mais bon.

Ok...si des reponses serieusese...d'abord voila mes raisons:

* you show us a video d'un gars qui cherche des views on youtube. The guy says 10-15% wrong things. Somebody warned him about it and he decided to write some "notes" thanking people that corrected him. Of course, writing --adding notes!!! it was very hard to make another "correct" video. *
* for simple objects with geometric symmetry, one can often determine the moment of inertia in an exact closed-form expression. This occurs when the mass density is constant, a wheel for example.
Solid cylinder of radius r, height h and mass m. This is a special case of a cylindrical tube, with r1 = 0. I_x = I_y = \frac{1}{12} m\left(3r^2+h^2\right)

Note : I'm not arguing on the fact that " une roue plus grande est pénalisée".
When I say 10 kg or 15 kg is the same... it means not a big difference for that level. Meaning, that....stopping the car 1 meter further might not be that important if you can achieve faster times on the lap.
Again, don't interpret my words, wrong. If let's say all cars in that category for example need 30-35 meters to stop from 100 km/h to zero and this car does it already in 28 meters, making it stop in 29m instead of 28 , but better stability which translates into better lap times....oh well...slam 22 instead of 21 !

manual transmissions are past their prime and limit a car's ability to perform even in the hands of the best track drivers out there. These buyers care about bragging rights, ultimate pure speed and performance, without even knowing if they, themselves, could actually do it.

I agree 100% with this statement. There is just too much going on now with these cars and you need to be paying attention let alone shifting gears.. These cars will be turning 1:43s if not 1:42s at LCMT.. That's racecar territory which is freaking scary..

However that being said there will always be the purists who will lust after the raw driving thrill of a P96 GT3 or P97 GT3.

Meanwhile for le sace

My question and comments are about this actually - if I paraphrase the zen riddle: "if your car is 2 seconds faster in Tremblant but nobody is timing, does anybody care?"

And I know I am in the minority thinking that It doesn't matter. But If the only way to keep these vehicles on the road or track passes through evermore automation, then I feel that this is an evolutionary dead end for vehicules that are meant to be not practical in any way but are meant first and foremost to be enjoyed, to provide feeling for drivers.

Going a few seconds faster around a track is pointless if it is done at the expense of the owner's enjoyment. These are not racecars, the enjoyment does not come from overcoming opposition, by being faster than anybody else. It comes from the feeling of driving itself.

But that's just me, I guess.

My question and comments are about this actually - if I paraphrase the zen riddle: "if your car is 2 seconds faster in Tremblant but nobody is timing, does anybody care?"

And I know I am in the minority thinking that It doesn't matter. But If the only way to keep these vehicles on the road or track passes through evermore automation, then I feel that this is an evolutionary dead end for vehicules that are meant to be not practical in any way but are meant first and foremost to be enjoyed, to provide feeling for drivers.

Going a few seconds faster around a track is pointless if it is done at the expense of the owner's enjoyment. These are not racecars, the enjoyment does not come from overcoming opposition, by being faster than anybody else. It comes from the feeling of driving itself.

But that's just me, I guess.

There is always someone timing (even though it won't be admitted) and lap times are big bragging rights. You should know that!.... but yes the only way to keep these cars on the road is through automation. When an average driver can buy a production car that produces down force you need to have software keeping him in check.. I believe engineers now realize that the days are number with internal combustion and are going wild.. or they are starting to finally to produce real life Gran Turismo..

I don't care about lap times. I don't find lap times to provide a sense of accomplishment but nailing the shifts to downshifts heeltoeing and controlling the car does give me that. Oh well, #slowandIenjoyit

There is always someone timing (even though it won't be admitted) and lap times are big bragging rights. You should know that!....

Well, yeah, you are 100% right... But I was never a big fan of bragging rights through "undercover" means. I think that if you are a hot enough driver, you will not be afraid to go agaisnt others in a properly timed competitive event.

I am also aware that this approach lead to many a deflated ego! :)

but yes the only way to keep these cars on the road is through automation. When an average driver can buy a production car that produces down force you need to have software keeping him in check.. I believe engineers now realize that the days are number with internal combustion and are going wild.. or they are starting to finally to produce real life Gran Turismo..

As much as I want it not to be true, I think may very well be what's happening. Better to go out with a bang than with a whimper...

Back