Road bike thread

Je suis juste un peu chicken d'amener un bike à 10k là bas.... remarque, ça doit être super smooth

Je te comprend, je suis pareil. C’est ça le problème quand t’as de trop belles choses; à un certain point ça peut t’empêcher de l’utiliser.
Un bike doit être assez hot pour te motiver à l’utiliser, mais pas assez beau pour te restreindre à l’utiliser (pluie, neige, transport, …)

un ptit sneak peek ! encore 1 mois à attendre !!! ça va etre un beau projet de montage de noël

Sauf qu'au lieu d'être standard config, il va etre thru-axle full internal

Gibraltar-D.jpg

Attachments

• Capture d’e?cran 2017-11-23 a? 07.41.30.jpg
    Capture d’e?cran 2017-11-23 a? 07.41.30.jpg
    698 bytes · Views: 66
Passé de 140mm rt805 à 160mm rt900 Dura ace

Avant
bd3d1747b215b3e51385797415a3c076.jpg
4fee55970ba93abbbd26ce3175e43e90.jpg

Apres
6b77d18d5f6208103e994e35af198538.jpg
b0c1022375702d9946f76f9181da6e96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pourquoi? Meilleur freinage?
Perso j'aimais mieux le look des anciens.

Probable disons que marauder est pas tout a fait monter sur un frame de chat comme beaucoup de cycliste (no offense marauder nways tu sais que je suis encore moins frame de chat)

140mm etait pas assez puissant pour moi, je les faisait overheat en descendant camilien houde. J’ai vu une grosse grosse difference avec les 160mm, et les rotors dura ace ont du cooling intense

I think it depends. Titanium frames got way overprice.

But for steel, to get a custom geometry, steel choice, custom paint, fully internal. At 3K USD the price is fair. Especially when the final result give you something as stiff as light as titanium and as stiff as carbon

But if you look companies like Saffron, Speedvagen or others that will try to sell you a steel frameset for 5K USD, that's insane.

The tube set for Columbus spirit cost 330$ Canadian, and it takes about 12 hours to build a frame completely with hand tools, let alone cnc mills. These 3k steel frames are just for your typical upperclass roadie with no concept of value.

You can get a custom geometry Marinoni with a fork for about 1200 last I checked.

merci !

On verra, je veux garder la surprise, mais il va etre tubeless en 1x11. Je voulais une geo vraiment compact et stiff (style tarmac) mais avec assez de clearance pour rentrer du 32mm, un peu dans le même style que le bike du gars de GCN.

The tube set for Columbus spirit cost 330$ Canadian, and it takes about 12 hours to build a frame completely with hand tools, let alone cnc mills. These 3k steel frames are just for your typical upperclass roadie with no concept of value.

You can get a custom geometry Marinoni with a fork for about 1200 last I checked.

You can't compare some cheap colombus spirit to reynold 953, TTS3 or even colombus xCR that are more expensive, but much lighter, much stiffer. Thoses tubeset will go for around 1K to even 2K. Also, you simply cannot compare a soft lugged marinoni to builders like Rob English, Stinner, Stelbel, Donhou, etc.

It's the same as comparing a company like Blade or Falco carbon fiber wheels to Zipp, bontrager, Enve, etc.

Working in the cycling business, I've had the chance to tests a lot of different bikes in the past 5 years and nothing was at my taste. So I've looking for a custom framebuilder for the past year or two and after all the research I think I have a very good concept of the value of well made steel bikes. For me, it's a good value since it's pretty much the same price as any big brand high-end carbon frameset. As stiff if not stiffer, almost as light and custom geo, specs, paintjob. I agree that the fact the bike is unique goes in the price, but I'm happy to pay for a bike that I'm going to keep for years and that I won't see anywhere else.

In my eyes, the ones who have no concept of value are people who buy 8-10K italian frameset like pinarello or colnago.
I thought of titanium, but a good one with the specs I want will go for minimum 5K US and I'm not even talking about custom carbon like argonaut, festka or tsubasa.

Last edited:
naah I think you need an update on steel tubing... The gold standard of steel tubing for frame making are wide size, double or triple butted is Reynold 953, True Tember S3 and Colombus xCr. That's why most framebuilders uses those.

Colombus spirit is still a good bang for your buck quality steel (especially for lugged frames). But the best colombus steel you can buy on the market is the xCr series (branded as SLX back in the days).

Xcr is stainless. Spirit is carbon. The difference is about 100g for a frame, and the xcr will have better corrosion resistance.

Xcr is a poor choice for a filet braze frame as you need to use silver instead of brass.

All this to say, these 3k steel frames are guys jerking themselves off. Like I said, I build frames, and these guys are riding a trend.

Oversize shaped Columbus tubes, integrated tapered headset, stainless disc dropouts, stainless top mount cable guides, stainless bottle bungs, powdercoated.

1400$

IMAG0223.jpg

it's alright, you have your opinion, but I'm not only talking about colombus. Reynold and True Temper is more expensive than colombus and there must be a reason why 90% of framebuilders don't use spirit. Maybe there is a reason for that. In any case, I'm not a framebuilder so I needed somebody to do it for me and for all the options I have on the bike and I'm ready to pay for something unique.

I'm paying less than S-works, Project one, Supersix, or any other high-end carbon frameset and I get a fully custom bike to my specs and paintjob that will deliver similar performances. Anyway, there is nothing on the carbon fiber market that offer what I want for now, so this was my options. Although, I agree that it could be less expensive, in the same matter everything could be less expensive : carbon components, powermeters, etc.

I don't doubt any of what you say, but I think you can't compare a simple powercoat with only 1 kind of tubing and standard options to something fully custom and if you tell me that without adding 1 more penny I can get everything I want at 1400$ well it will be my loss.

Nice frame btw

Back