Road bike thread

Je me suis planté exactement là il y a 2 ans avec mon ancien bike. Je m'en venais a 45-50km je voulais faire un PR sur le climb. Je dois avoir slider un bon 40 pieds pour finir arrêté par le trottoir de la bretelle pour remonter. J'avais le cul en sang et j'ai pas été travailler pendant 3 jours
Dammm, cest dangereux ce coin, jai le gout de revenir et passer un balais la bas lol

Ton bike etait scrap?

Отправлено с моего CLT-L04 через Tapatalk

J'ai cassé une pédale, bare tape finit et guidons était magané.

Dès qu'il pleut, tout la marde se ramasse là
Ah ouin, faut faire attention next time.

Puis cest quoi ton PR sur CH?

What's the least expensive bike that comes equipped with Di2 that is worth it? I love the feel of my CAAD12 but man having shifting gremlins that I can't shake is making me think about electronic... might just be gadget lust

Upgrading the CAAD12 to Ultegra Di2 wouldn't make sense right?

The problem is not the frame quality itself. The CAAD serie is in my opinion the best aluminium bike you can get on the market and it's even better than a lot of carbon bikes and upgrading a CAAD12 to electronic shifters is not a bad idea. But you have some things to consider.

1. Is your CAAD12 frame built for Di2 ? (internal routing, seatpost routing).

2. are you running disc break ?
If yes, you could consider it
If no, I would consider waiting or selling since disc break is becoming a new standard.

And in the end, would it be worth it ? imo, no. Electronic gear will not give you 1500-2000$ worth of upgrade, but it's nice to have.

I would also consider Sram Force AXS. A bit more expensive than Ultegra, but less maintenance, less parts, etc. I used both and I prefer by far eTAP. Less parts, less maintenance. The only good thing with shimano Di2 is the shifter look.

what size bike are you riding ? I'm selling my S-works tarmac SL6 on etap with all the goodies possible... it’s going to be cheaper then any new bike on di2

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200709/9a997ddf04b5ba469b504d1ca8ddf850.jpg

56, but I'm isolated because of my gf's health situation so can't do a bike fit or anything like that this summer. I can and have arranged socially distanced WORK on my bike, but realize that I can't ensure that I don't break isolation whilst acquiring a new ride.

Why you selling?

The problem is not the frame quality itself. The CAAD serie is in my opinion the best aluminium bike you can get on the market and it's even better than a lot of carbon bikes and upgrading a CAAD12 to electronic shifters is not a bad idea. But you have some things to consider.

1. Is your CAAD12 frame built for Di2 ? (internal routing, seatpost routing).

2. are you running disc break ?
If yes, you could consider it
If no, I would consider waiting or selling since disc break is becoming a new standard.

And in the end, would it be worth it ? imo, no. Electronic gear will not give you 1500-2000$ worth of upgrade, but it's nice to have.

I would also consider Sram Force AXS. A bit more expensive than Ultegra, but less maintenance, less parts, etc. I used both and I prefer by far eTAP. Less parts, less maintenance. The only good thing with shimano Di2 is the shifter look.

Thanks! The CAAD has internal routing through downtube, seatpost not so sure

56, but I'm isolated because of my gf's health situation so can't do a bike fit or anything like that this summer. I can and have arranged socially distanced WORK on my bike, but realize that I can't ensure that I don't break isolation whilst acquiring a new ride.

Why you selling?

In any case, I can help you with a online fitting. (like by zoom).

When you're gonna be able to come out of isolation I can help you also with mecanic if you like.

When you're gonna be able to come out of isolation I can help you also with mecanic if you like.

He’s cool and he’s good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer I may take you up on it one day. My gf's friend from high school who I'm buds with now owns a bike shop actually so he's got me covered in terms of my day to day stuff.

UNRELATED... but I'm already thinking towards an isolated Fall/Winter and am thinking about blowing my brains out on a Smart bike. I've done the low end smart trainer thing and it's ok once it's all set up and calibrated, But we live in a condo and I have my "office" which serves as a my actual office with 2 desks, 3 pcs and 3 monitors etc etc, but also has my squat rack/bumper plates etc. etc. etc., I'm actually quite proud with my space management. I say all that because I can't have the trainer and bike set up and do strength training at same time, have to tear it down every time and re-calibrate when I want to use it again. Alternating days between cardio and strength this becomes annoying as ffffuck. I'd just set up in the living room but we have 3 curious cats and no way to lock them out of there, one paw in the chain and that's that (they would do it I love them but they're retarded some times). SO all that to say that having a system that can be wheeled out of my office when I'm doing weights and then wheeled back in with virtually no set up required (or fucking calibration) would be pretty sweet.

I've looked at the Kickr Smart, the Neo and the Stages... I'm leaning towards the Kickr because I'm likely going to sell the thing one day and I think it'd hold up better in the used market. Also it's set up process looks the easiest and the incline is admittedly kind of cool. But it's 5000 fucking dollars (again I'd sell it probably within a year and lose maybe $1,000 bucks but still). I could just get a rower but it'd barely fit in the space and I won't be as motivated as when I'm using Zwift. So in "leasing" the Kickr I'd be paying like 100 bucks a month in depreciation I'd estimate... not awful but still feels wrong somehow?

Anyone have a smart bike and put me over the edge either way? I'm waiting until the weather gets too cold to ride in jacket and tights so hopefully prices get more competitive between now and then.

Have you thought of buying a Powermeter for your bike and magnetic rollers ?

I ride feedback sport Omnium for my indoor training and I think that with a Powermeter on my bike it would be the best of all world. Super transportable, you have your power during the full season.

The feedback sport Omnium is super realistic in terms of road feeling since they’re rollers and the magnetic rollers will give you up to 700 watts with 700x23 tires. I use 700x28 tubeless tires and at 70 psi I’m pretty sure to be close to 850 watts of resistance which is plenty enough for indoor training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an interesting option, I ran InsideRide rollers before Zwift existed but sold them. The resistance wasn't progressive it was just 3 settings like low med hard...

Those rollers with progressive resistance are interesting but actually having the resistance change on the smart trainer/bike is what I prefer. I know it'd be similar with progressive resistance but not quite the same.

Any recommendations for a power meter? I run speedplay pedals

Thanks

That's an interesting option, I ran InsideRide rollers before Zwift existed but sold them. The resistance wasn't progressive it was just 3 settings like low med hard...

Those rollers with progressive resistance are interesting but actually having the resistance change on the smart trainer/bike is what I prefer. I know it'd be similar with progressive resistance but not quite the same.

Any recommendations for a power meter? I run speedplay pedals

Thanks

Stages power crank arm are a good option especially if you consider switching groupset but staying in the shimano brand. Bang for the buck they are the best on the market imo.

This is the space I'm working with for indoor training, it's a wide angle shot so it makes it look bigger than it is lol.

20200711_182331.jpg

I think I'm getting a Tacx Neo (whichever model is best value this Fall), because it won't require calibration and will cost less than half than the cost of the Smart Bike (at least Wahoo's variant). The Neo collapses into a small footprint and not needing to calibrate the fucker is the MAIN thing. That part was a bitch with a glitchy tacx app with the wheel on trainers like the Vortex Smart.
I'm going to aim for 3 days bike 2 days weights this Winter (it'll likely be 2 and 2 most weeks though because I tend to push myself). Default set up of the room will be "bike mode" with the bench pushed towards the window and the bar placed vertically against a wall. When I want to lift weights I'd need to take the bike off the trainer and plop it somewhere with the rear wheel off (probably just flip it upside down in the hallway or something, or hang it from the front wheel if I can figure something out in this cramped space), I'd tuck the trainer folded up into a corner along with the riser block. One of my top monitors can come forward via arm mount and with desk chair tucked in under desk it should be a clear viewing angle.
So twice a week I'd need to tear down and build back up the bike, not too bad with the no calibration. I assume I won't need to reindex my rear derailleur everytime I do this but maybe some small adjustments here and there.
What are some ideas for hanging a bike with the rear wheel off? just a J hook? This place is a rental so I can't got crazy.

I ride an insideride roller with the dumb resistance (0-1-2-3) and I love it. I don't mind to adjust my cadence or gears to reach target power. My only problem with my setup is that I use a 1X bike with wide spread cassette so sometime on the lower end of the powerband I have holes.

I prefer a road bike on a trainer-roller than those dedicated inside bike because it is more simple, takes less space and is less expensive. The CAAD is a great bike, but watch out for the corrosion. Ensure to wipe it after hard indoor sessions, and wash it with water at time to time.

As for the pedals, I really don't like speedplays. The cleats are complex and theses pedals don't support sand AT ALL. There are many options available. Personally, I had SRM in the past (before quarq exist lol), now I am on my 4th QUARQ and I love it. They removed the SRAM branding if you want to use them on a Shimano groupset. Shimano crank are the best for front shifting, their chainring are the best in the industry and the front derailleurs are solid. Still, I would (and am) buying a QUARQ because they are fairly innexpensive.

As for the groupset, ensure your actual gruppo is well tuned before making significant investment in a new group. Even old 105 (5600) was nice back then. New cables and housing can make a good difference on shifting performances. A clean (new) chain, new cassette and this will most likely improve your bike by a lot. I prefer a mechanical group because I am cheap (and old fashion I guess), and I prefer the lever feeling of the SRAM as they feel much more precise. Even the Rival feels better than Dura Ace in my opinion. The lever travel before something happens is less, no loose. Still, 105, ultegra, +++ are great group too.

I would love to try a sram one day,never had a chance yet

To do a comparison

Sram is like a VW golf

And Shimano is like a toyota corolla

Both are good, but one is more fun to use, while the other is more reliable, but boring.

Je rgardais pour un Aller Sprint aussi en 105. Disons que les grandeurs et couleurs sont limitées. Ca va attendre à l'an prochain finalement.

Le marché des bikes (surtout en 105) est complètement ridicule cette année. D’après moi il va en avoir un gang à vendre pratiquement neuf dans l’usagé cette hiver

Owning a bike shop won't ever make you rich, but my buddy who owns the shop says things have been outstanding this season. Makes sense, lots of people investing in fitness this year with money left over from vacation budgets or whatever. 50% of them will be on used market within a year like you said.

Back