The Short History of an Old BMW (2002 project)

Je t'ai fait une suggestion pour le siege arr. sur 2002faq. Je pense que les pneus en série 50 sont aussi responsables d'une ride ferme. A suivre ton tread j,en ai appris beaucoup sur les produits et méthode pour de ruster des pieces de 40ans et aussi sur la persévérence.

merci beacoup Pierre... et merci pour l'info sur le banc e24.

oui, les pneu sont 195/45/15

BBS RM Center Caps
BBS center caps have always been a thing with me ;)

Oh really?

grimacecopy.jpg

Beautiful work Ant, I salute the amount of dedication it takes to build such a project.

I think a smaller lip would look better than the unpainted IE spoiler in the front.

Something like the mk1 duckbill you had in mind or something like on the alpina racecars

bmw-2002-alpina-title.jpg

By the way congratulations on the project, you did some really great work!

I have some random questions, what kind of radio did you install? I see that it's a modern radio, but it looks pretty "period correct", like it has a vintage look.
Also about the rear bumper? Is it an Ireland Engineering as well? If so, thats just a plastic shell, how did you install it?

I will probably have a ton of questions for you in a not so distant future!

By the way congratulations on the project, you did some really great work!

I have some random questions, what kind of radio did you install? I see that it's a modern radio, but it looks pretty "period correct", like it has a vintage look.
Also about the rear bumper? Is it an Ireland Engineering as well? If so, thats just a plastic shell, how did you install it?

I will probably have a ton of questions for you in a not so distant future!

Yes, it's a rear IE bumper... a thick fiberglass shell. It has mounting tabs on the back of it, you can drill holes through them and use threaded rods to secure.
There's a discussion here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...-front-what-goes-on-the-back/#comment-1136262

The radio is a Japanese market Panasonic CQ-VXxxxx, MiniDisc / CD / Tuner / Aux

LB3fTzw.jpg

I just saw this thread and went through all 8 pages, post-per-post.

FUKKEN awesome dude!

At the beginning when you mentioned that you were not necessarily mechanically inclined, I thought to myself "Oh boy, what has this poor basterd gotten himself into...LOL! Hats off to you for sticking through it, and as far as I'm concerned...you did a hell of a job*tu*

Congrats!

I just saw this thread and went through all 8 pages, post-per-post.

FUKKEN awesome dude!

At the beginning when you mentioned that you were not necessarily mechanically inclined, I thought to myself "Oh boy, what has this poor basterd gotten himself into...LOL! Hats off to you for sticking through it, and as far as I'm concerned...you did a hell of a job*tu*

Congrats!

Thanks a lot! I enjoy getting in to these things and learning new "skills."

There were many doubters out there, who were saying I wouldn't get it back together. Although, I think the ones who weren't saying it were thinking it :p

I thought your wife would have killed you by now....

I wasnt doubting your skills.... I was doubting her patience with this project!

Hats off to her! hahahaha

car looks beautiful... ! real jelly right now

I thought your wife would have killed you by now....

I wasnt doubting your skills.... I was doubting her patience with this project!

Hats off to her! hahahaha

car looks beautiful... ! real jelly right now

Good point! I'm certain my wife would not have been as accommodating.

I was a doubter from day 1 not ashamed to admit it. I also thought you would get divorced for sure!
Pleasantly surprised on both points :bigup:

My 123Ignition Tune+ just arrived in the mail :)
Very excited about this thing and it should resolve the distributor phasing issue I was having with the Crane Fireball ...but won't install it until spring :(

It has Bluetooth connected to iPhone or Android devices... you can tune the advance curve via your device in real time, view vacuum, engine speed...etc

The have distributors for other classics, if you're interested.

Last edited:
Awesome! Great work on the car.
Love it, its very unique and I cant express how much I respect a build on a car that you dont see everyday. Congrats.

You should clean up the valve cover and hang it in your garage :) that's what I would do.

or you could always give them to me :)

Parts update, because I like posting photos.

Carburetors:
98% of stuff I read, stated that it was extremely difficult to tune mismatched DCOEs. So since my Italian Webers were mismatched (different progression holes). I decided to order a new pair of Spanish DCOEs during the fall, will see how this goes..

I managed pick up some new gutter trims from my cousin at BMW West Island (the left side is considered to be NLA). Waiting to pull the tarp off to install them, apparently it's a biche.

I also managed to score a cluster from the Netherlands which had a functioning speedo in KPH :) Mine's broken. Just cleaning it up and repairing the odometer.

I also ordered some other bits which aren’t photo worthy...
- hoses and fittings for vacuum signal at the 123tune distributor.
- 3 point adjustable belts for the rear, still need to find a rear bench.

keeping the thread alive :p

Over the weekend, I took the cover off...

Installed the re-re-upholstered sun visors.

I had originally covered them in the same fabric as the headliner but did a crappy job sewing them and they looked a little weird in the same material as headliner.

Sun Visors. They were originally beige vinyl with beige hardware (and falling apart foam).

old photo of first re-upholster

Installed. I had a hard time finding the mounting points through the new headliner, thankfully I put the screws in to make it easier.

Rain gutter trim

I put some grease along the rain gutter seam to protect it from rust once the trim was back in place. They went on pretty easy, no kinks :).

Hi Mr. mild seven this is a great build, I can't believe that someone in my backyard is doing something I have been wanting to do for over twenty years. I wish I would have found this build in the beginning and I would have loved to have offered to volunteer to help with your build if you were interested. I have been following so many builds
on rev3 and stanceworks etc. I live in Pierrefonds, I would love to see your car one day and maybe I will pick-up an 02 of my own and work on it. It would have been a
great experience to learn from your build. I hope you will update more on your build. Congrats.

Back