The Short History of an Old BMW (2002 project)

pix for clicks

I heard he got some new wheels
I heard he totaled his car in a ditch
I heard he sold it and bought a Porsche
I heard he lost it in the divorce settlement

What happened to this car???

I heard he flat spotted a tire on the BBS in dramatic fashion and instead of changing the tire he threw everything out and got a new set of wheels.

ok, I've got to give my fans what they want!

Here's an update from May 2019.

Intro
I initially had a wide-band A/F digital gauge installed in my dash, hidden in the fasten seat belt box. The wide-band was made by a small independent company, I liked that the digital screen was so small that I could hide it but the readings didn't seem to be reliable and would change way too much to get an accurate reading. I might have also had some other issue with it, I can't remember, old age. So, to fix that issue and help with carburettor tuning I bought the AEM wide-band.
/Intro

Since the AEM gauge is bigger than the digital display I had, the best solution I found was to hide it in my glove box. Obviously, this is not ideal because I should have a better line of sight to the gauge but I wanted to retain my OCI (old car interior).

Using some cardboard I made a template for the housing. I designed the housing so that the gauge would face the driver and while at it, I incorporated a 12v lighter port, plus a digital battery gauge (I had lying around). I traced the template on to an old plastic planter and cut it up, recycling is important, kids.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep the photos of the pieces being assembled or the next steps using body filler... but here are photos I have of the finished housing.

The housing.
20190524_095907_re.jpg

With the gauges + outlet installed.
20190524_114245_re.jpg

Installed in glovebox... like a glove.
20190524_re.jpg

...more to come as we catch up!

what did you build this with a planter?
Did you shape the plastic or it was the right shape you just cut it?

Back