How to sell a old car ? tips and tricks ..

The Overclocker

hey I'm trying to sell my old car and its been a good 6 - 7 years i didn't have to sell a car so i kinda lost the touch !

basically i shampooed the interior and decontaminated the outside + quality wax , she look really pretty now

any suggestions on where i could safely park my car in a certain parking lot to advertise it on a busy blvd ?

tried kijiji but not getting any luck

the car is a 2000 golf 2.0l ... not much but works great, even any specific area to put it ?

thanks folks

You've already got the making it clean and pretty part done, make sure you get NICE quality pics. That will help attract attention. Write a concise, but informative ad and finally, have a good price. Instead of marking the price higher assuming it will be negotiated down, set it a the price you want it to go for, and if someone wants to negotiate, throw in the extra set of tires/wheels for free.

good point , im going to take new dslr pics instead of iphone pics

what should i expect a 2000 golf 2.0l in $ wise ? 265k but lots of new parts

Muffler neuf
transmition rebuild a 230,000km
bushing a grandeur neuf ( urathane & audi tt mix )
2 x cardant neuf
2 x tie rod complet
2 x bearing avant
2 x ball joint
1 x radiateur
2x fan de radiateur
1 x pompe a lave glace
1 x moteur de wiper arriere
1 x coil pack
1 x support a moteur
brake neuf depuis 5,000km

I'm with 4frnt, $2000 seems fair considering mileage and age (and as long as it isn't rusted and falling to pieces). The replaced parts help keep that value a little bit as it would normally be less than that.

thanks for the help

btw any places where u could recommend me parking the car there for advertising and not having vandalism and towing as a surprise

Last edited:
Usually MR members say that nothing breaks on their cars, not even oil changes... I see you had a shitload of problems.. or just regular maintenance for a vw

Usually MR members say that nothing breaks on their cars, not even oil changes... I see you had a shitload of problems.. or just regular maintenance for a vw

aside from the transmission rebuild ( which was probably the second gear synchro or reverse gear failure )
That all seems like regular maintenance for a 265km, 16 year car... especially if prior owners didnt do shit and drove a clicking, thumping, rattling timebomb...

try advertising the car out on craigslist, vwquebec and VW PARTS / CARS on FB...

Les photos et une belle description sa aide beaucoup.

Et si c'est un Volks, je te suggère fortement de l'inscrire sur le forum VWQ.

+ ses 2 groupes facebook(il y a beaucoup de roulement!)

Volkswagen Québec. Vente/Échange/Recherche

VW Québec

Pro tip:

Make sure it smells decent. Not to strong to make the potential buyers weary of some smell being hidden, but enough that it shows you care that it smells good.

When i was shopping for cars back in the day, i'd stay away from cars that reeked of air freshner=smokers car or worse.

J'écrit le plus de détails possible dans mes annonces (positif ou négatifs), souvent c'est les acheteurs sérieux qui appellent ou envoie des courriels, on dirais que c'est moins de niesage...

http://www.vmrcanada.com/canada_makes.htm

Établis la valeur.

Fais une bonne annonce, bien rédigée sans fautes, de belles photos (pas de l'an dernier, pas du jour ou tu l'a eu) fresh du jour svp!

Tu la pompe sur un forum VW et sur MR (tu offre un petit rabais pour MR par exemple) tu la fou sur kijiji et sur Craigslist.

Sinon, swap un moteur diesel et vend la pour 8000$.

Moi je dis téléphone seulement, je dis que je parle pas anglais ( pas vrai je me débrouille très bien en anglais ), c'est simplement pour pas pogner toute les colons ontariens qui pense avoir une perle rare à 800$ et passer le safety avec, j'en ai vu de toute les couleurs.

C'est juste que si tu mets tous les details t'as toujours une extreme partie des appels qui vont te poser exactement la meme question a laquelle tu reponds deja dans la description.

Genre:

2003 golf 2.0L, manual avec 180.000km, a/c, CD player, mecanique va très bien, je vien de changé les 2 springs arrière, bushing de table en avant et le thermostat. Chaussé sur des très bon pneus d'hiver
Je demande 2300$ NÉGOCIABLE

Appel: Combien t'as de millage?

C'est tu manuel?

As tu l'air climatise dessus?

Moi ca me mettait en furie... je suis pas trop triste de pas avoir de char a vendre pour un bout.

Don't forget you are selling a 2000 golf with 265k. These cars are known for being unreliable as they were the first mk4 generation. Not a lot of people are looking to buy an old vw. I don't follow the market anymore but I remember seeing these cars sell for as low as $500-$1000 2~3 years ago, keep that in mind. Be realistic , take nice pics and be willing to let it go

Last edited:
good point , im going to take new dslr pics instead of iphone pics

what should i expect a 2000 golf 2.0l in $ wise ? 265k but lots of new parts

Muffler neuf
transmition rebuild a 230,000km
bushing a grandeur neuf ( urathane & audi tt mix )
2 x cardant neuf
2 x tie rod complet
2 x bearing avant
2 x ball joint
1 x radiateur
2x fan de radiateur
1 x pompe a lave glace
1 x moteur de wiper arriere
1 x coil pack
1 x support a moteur
brake neuf depuis 5,000km
Give it away for 1000$ while you can and move on

2000 c'est trop, il y a très peu d'intérêt pour les 2.0 8v et il en pleut des Golf 4 vu qu'ils les ont vendu pendant 12 ans. Sauf si elle a pas une trace de rouille là c'est ok.

OP if your car sells for 1k mine will go directly to scrap lol. Rusted mk3 with 178k on the clock though.

Golf are like good wine, the older the better. A clean golf mk1 with 200k would probably go for 4-5k.

Pour comparatif j'ai vendu ma Civic 1999 rouillée 700 dollars avec 8 bons pneus et rims, mais elle consommait de l'huile.

Back