How Long Before Print Magazines Are Gone?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering what the consensus is on this? Back in the day we had Sport Compact Car, Import Tuner, Super Street, Performance Auto & Sound, Turbo, Quebec and many more. Does anyone here still currently subscribe to automotive print magazines?

I don't....it's been a few years I get C&D on Zinio only.

I think print magazine days are numbered....maybe 3-4 years?

In the office tower where I work, there is a small convenience store and the lady completely shutdown the sale of "paper anything" returning from Christmas because it was taking up space and was not selling at all.

Does anyone here still currently subscribe to automotive print magazines?

No, it's fun to read sometimes, but anything I want I get it live from the Intrawebs with many sources for cross-reference and validation from more than one input (not only for cars, but in general).

Searchable content works best for me.

Print works for airplane travel sometimes. It's the only situation where I can see the usefulness.

Call me nostalgic but I will miss the print editions. I prefer the GT Porsche print edition over the digital edition.

le seul magazine que je vais garder à jamais en souvenir, les panorama de PCA

à chaque mois j'ai hâte de le recevoir et de le lire d'un bout à l'autre. C'est vraiment, mais vraiment bien fait et les images sont sublimes

2015.01_Cover.jpg

2015.02_Cover.jpg

For starters, the printing process is extremely expensive so that's a huge deterrent for lots of companies and the reason why so many have perished.

I work for a relatively new Magazine company that exists solely online because quotes came in between 25-100k to print the magazine with a minimum of XXXX orders.

If you have a decreasing readership, you cannot afford to raise your price but you also can't afford to lower it so it puts a lot of companies between a rock and a hard place.

As a result many are now gone.

However I don't think they'll ever die completely.

I heard this quote somewhere, can't remember the specifics but you get the gist of it:

anon said:
You can see boobs on the internet so does that mean you no longer need them in real life? No of course not because sometimes you just want to touch them and feel them; there will always be a sense of touch involved which is why print media will never die

Sure you have all these companies that offer services where you can pay a subscription to get access to a bunch of mags but ultimately people are still going to want a hard copy. Perhaps not in the same demand as they once were but it will always be there.

I guess you could say the same thing for books really.

However the argument here isn't about books, especially considering magazines are 90% photos.

Which is another problem because every other Joe Blow thinks he's a pro photographer because he spent $1000 on a DSLR.

Anyways what I'm getting at is that I don't think they'll completely disappear.

People are going to always want a hard copy (tactile feel, easier on eyes, some people collect...etc)

However, I do think that the magazine content will drastically change to a more scholarly, scientific approach.

As stated above many of those mags were just pictures of really cool cars, a basic DIY, perhaps an informative tuning article, a hot girl and lots of ads and you can easily eliminate 90% of that stuff thanks to the internet and every wannabe facebook page.

The scholarly articles, tuning articles, reviews...etc are still things people want.

Sure people have video reviews of cars and ELI5 articles regarding tuning over the internet but a well written, thought out piece of text is better than 90% of the videos/brief info there is out there on the internet.

Most of these things aim to entertain not inform, sort of like how TG is ragged for not being informative.

People still get entertained with well thought out reviews that incorporate scientific information, credible sources and lively language.

So it may be a struggle for the remaining companies but those that make it will most likely shift to this sort of attitude.

tl;dr: they won't completely die out but those that do stay around will transition into a different form of magazine.

It's still nice to hold and read a tangible object. So it will never completely die IMO.

But I'd say 90% of the business will be in the form of interwebz

Je suis encore abonné au Monde de l'Auto, avoir un magazine entre les mains ça a un certain charme et je trouverais ça dommage que ça disparaisse. C&D, Maxim et plusieurs autres magazines je les reçois sur Zinio, comme le journal que je ne reçois plus à ma porte. Par-contre, il y a des magazines français que je préfère avoir en version papier, du genre Charge Utile, Autorétro, Sport Auto... Je vais peut-être m'abonner si un jour j'arrive plus à les trouver nulle part...

I used to buy 5-6 magazines every month, now it's 1 every 2-3 months. When I fly I'll usually grab a couple.

I do still enjoy reading magazines, but the quality and quantity of the content usually leaves me wanting more. 6$ and I'm bombarded non-stop with ads. 2/3 pages are probably advertisements now in magazines. If I want to be slammed with ads, I'll go online and get it for free thanks.

I wouldn't be shocked if magazines were completely gone in 10 years, but I think there will always be a market.

Print works for airplane travel sometimes. It's the only situation where I can see the usefulness.

Same here. I always stop by the newsstand before I hop on a flight and buy 2-3 magazines. When/If in flight wifi becomes more prevalent then I'm not sure I'll be so inclined.

Most mainstream magazines are garbage anyways. Simply re-hashing the manufacturer's press release is of little to no value to me. Odds are if I care, I read all about it the internet already seeing as magazine exclusives are few and far between nowadays. Pictures are nice but I'd rather watch Chris Harris powerslide the car around a bit. Reader's rides features are lame considering I could look probably look up their build thread on the internet vs 2-3 pics and a paragraph or two dumbing down the mods that were made.

There are however some magazines that are still worth buying for the in-depth analysis and curated content. I don't think they're all going away anytime soon because swiping at your small, smudged up ipad screen is no match for the premium magazine experience IMO

Its sad. Pretty much half of my career was spent working for magazines and one by one Ive been loosing clients due to magazines shutting down. The truth is that magazines are dying due to lack of advertising dollars since now a company can spend a bunch less to purchase adds on the web for a great return ( more eye balls will see the add ) vs spending the money for a print add that will be only seen by a smaller audience. People often complain about the amount of add in magazines but no adds no magazine since it does cost a butt load to print a mag. As time goes on more magazines will be cut but I don't think its the end completely. Specialty magazines like ones dedicated to Hot Rods or Ferraris etc and yearly special editions will stick around. One new version that I enjoy is online magazines like what Wrecked Magazine does.. Has a paper magazine "feel" to it yet you can view it on your comp or tablet.

Little list of that magazines that I used to shoot for that are now gone : Quebec Tuning, Turbo Mag, Honda Tuning, ADDX, Euro Tuner,Modified Luxury and Excotics Auto Mag, Modified Mag,Moto Mag and Few other smaller ones too. Now I only shoot for Pas Mag, Super Street and I have my own section in Le Monde de L'auto.

Times have changed!

le seul magazine que je vais garder à jamais en souvenir, les panorama de PCA

à chaque mois j'ai hâte de le recevoir et de le lire d'un bout à l'autre. C'est vraiment, mais vraiment bien fait et les images sont sublimes

THIS, panorama c'est la seule revue a coté de ma toilette :D

Je me suis abonné à Hot Rod magazine pour 1 ans @ 22$ au boxing day. Je m'ennuyais de lire papier et je suis bien content.

Who cares about ricer mags?

As long as i keep getting C&D and R&T i'm a happy camper, and they seem to be doing ok.

I gave up on magazines years ago. I felt cheated paying for 70% of the content that is advertisement and the rest that is product placement for the most part. I still buy books though.

Back