1.8T 25 - 30psi vacuum but no boost .. ??

i mentally set my brain to do the work .. because im broke and .. no choice !

now im going to go disassemble the cars turbo and see the damaged parts

then go to kenny-u-pull

what car other then the b5 audi i can take this turbo assembly from ?

Jetta , golf , passat, audi ? if so what year to what year

if the turbos are bad , im just going to take the hot side

Only a A4/Passat k03/s will fit (longitudinal instead of transverse)

you got the 150hp .. take one from the 180hp . K03s insted of K03

Doesn't change anything power-wise, it flows just as much as a k03.

If you want to change your turbine housing make sure you get the SAME version.
You probably have a K03-0005 on right now, if you're planning to change the turbine housing i suggest you don't mix parts with different turbos.

K03 for 150hp engines;

Borg-Warner#: 5303 988 0005
OEM#: 058145703*

K03 for 180hp

Borg-Warner#: 5303 988 0052
OEM#: 06A145713D

I would check by removing the downpipe first, just to make sure it's a wastegate flap problem before going through all this.

Vanclyde you've been very helpful !

I now understand more how a turboed car works

I will go and remove what ever i need to remove to have a good hold of that waste gate shaft, i never had the chance to feel if its loose

Now that i understand its job , i understand that it cannot have 1mm of play and needs to be shut tight !

I will report back

If i can only find a long spring to help close the wastegate then if i get more boost i would know i simply need a wastegate adjustement !

Now i understand it completely so im going to work hard on it for the couple of hours , i have the car in the garage heated to the perfect temp ! Its time to get dirty !!

took me freaking 2 hours to install a spring i found ...

but the result is quite impressive actually ...

i hold boost way better

instead of 12.5 sec to 0-100 it now takes me 10.5 sec .. i definitely feel boosting tough more range of rpm

i now know the flap is there because it woulnt of pulled like it did ..

if my internal waste gate flap was broken like most vw's i would have close to 0 boost , i do feel more , cannot tell how much but more for sure

im going to go add a other spring and see if it helps to shut down the flap even more

edit : i make sure to compress air in the wastegate and see how she reacts and there is no differance on power or lenght travel on the wastegate's shaft when spring is applied before and after. i can consider this a safe and good solution

its just veeeery tuff with the turbo in place ...

not my setup but just like mine

SAM_0853.jpg

i know its BS ... but it freaking works perfectly !

source --->

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5700226-Wastegate-Actuator-Spring-Mod

Last edited:
Only a A4/Passat k03/s will fit (longitudinal instead of transverse)

Doesn't change anything power-wise, it flows just as much as a k03.

If you want to change your turbine housing make sure you get the SAME version.
You probably have a K03-0005 on right now, if you're planning to change the turbine housing i suggest you don't mix parts with different turbos.

K03 for 150hp engines;

Borg-Warner#: 5303 988 0005
OEM#: 058145703*

K03 for 180hp

Borg-Warner#: 5303 988 0052
OEM#: 06A145713D

I would check by removing the downpipe first, just to make sure it's a wastegate flap problem before going through all this.

wasnt the hot or cold side a litle bit bigger ?

thats gettho lol

Totally ... But it works !

I need a new heavy duty waste gate with a nice adjustment

But i need to take the turbo out to do the work and im really trying to avoid that since im broke for now

When ill have 300-500$ loose ill do it directly

you are stock no ???

No point of cranking full spring on this ..

Ok maybe one but 2 might be a little to much

i now know how a turbo car works so for my next one, trouble shooting will be much easier + i will receive my ross=tech cable this week so i will be hooked up !

no more garages ! more money in my empty pochets ! yeahh ! haha

thanks all of u guys for the help !!

Yeah its ghetto, but I used to have an helper spring like this on my old wrx when i upgradded the turbo.
I was a couple psi short of the target boost, wastegate was tired and would open prematurely.
A 5$ fix that worked wounderfully when there is no adjustement on the wastegate shaft !

actually there is a adjustement on mine

but its not recommended to crank it up , u could damage the diaphram , this way it dosent put any stress on the wastegate

btw the car holds its boost wayyyy better ...

don't think i reached the 16-18psi but im just over stock for sure maybe 10 psi instead of 8 psi stock

but i don't like the guess work so im going to plug it when i have the new gauge

Back