Is there any way to legally register a right-hand drive car anymore?

Snail

Banned
Gents,

I know we've probably beaten the dead horse more often than required for thorough decomposition, but I overheard some say that a Kei car, a miniature Japanese car with a 660cc engine (at it's largest) and only available in right-hand drive configuration, could potentially be registered as motorcycles.

I want to know if there is any truth to this.

And furthermore, is it possible at all to successfully register any right-hand drive vehicle in Québec, that has previously not been registered here? Any way to bend the rules?

Kit car status?

Thanks!

James

Oui, tu peux plaquer légallement n'importe quel voiture RHD qui passe l'inspection s'il a 25 ans et plus. Tu peux importer n'importe quel RHD de plus de 15 ans, mais ne peux le plaquer que lorsqu'il a 25 ans ou plus. Pour les kei cars, je ne sais pas honnêtement.

That motorcycle thing is bullshit. At some point the government restricted kei cars to roads with speed limit of 70kmh or lower (like antique cars or scooters) but now they have all their rights I think.
I'd buy an Alto Works 4wd or a Honda beat in a heart beat...
Otherwise, motorcycles from Japan can still be imported as long as they are 15 years old. There is a nice market of early 90's 250 and 400cc sport bikes (small plates and usable power). There is a small market for these bikes in Ontario but nobody seem to care about it here.

But now I read that all RHD cars are banned; the only ones being the ones already previously registered in Québec. I'm assuming that's still in effect, so there's no longer a possibility of importing any more Japanese cars...unless I'm mistaken of course.

I'm satisfied with my daily driver, as a daily driver. But I'm looking at getting something more sporty and responsive in the near future.

But now I read that all RHD cars are banned; the only ones being the ones already previously registered in Québec. I'm assuming that's still in effect, so there's no longer a possibility of importing any more Japanese cars...unless I'm mistaken of course.

I'm satisfied with my daily driver, as a daily driver. But I'm looking at getting something more sporty and responsive in the near future.
a little research wouldn't hurt
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road_safety/vehicles/righthand_drive/index.php

In case you are too lazy to click:

Exemptions
This new order provides for the same exemptions as the previous orders, with one exception. Thus, the following right-hand drive vehicles may be operated in Québec:

Vehicles registered outside Québec (visiting Québec);
Vehicles manufactured 25 years or more before the date of the application for access to the road network;
Heavy vehicles, tool vehicles and vehicles required to make frequent stops along a road in performing work in connection with a public service;
Vehicles belonging to a driving school;
Vehicles purchased before April 29, 2009 and registered before March 31, 2011.

IF the vehicle is over 25yo when you make it enter the Province.
IF the vehicle is less than 25yo but was imported and/or registered before the ban took effect.

Want to import a 1990 Skyline? Go on.
Want to import a 2000 Skyline? Move to Ontario or NB. Or wait like everybody else.
You can also circumvent the ban by importing a Daihatsu Midget II that is equipped with a manual trans. It is a single-seat kei truck with the 4spd and is legal even though it came out in 1996. With the automatic it gets another seat and thus becomes illegal.

A genertation where Google is at your finger tips and people still don't know how to use a search engine...

Guys, I'm simply asking around if there's a loophole I don't know about here. I've read on the SAAQ's website. Don't like the thread? Don't click on it.
Why not just register that shizz in Ontario man? There are ways to do that you know....

In case you are too lazy to click:

IF the vehicle is over 25yo when you make it enter the Province.
IF the vehicle is less than 25yo but was imported and/or registered before the ban took effect.

Want to import a 1990 Skyline? Go on.
Want to import a 2000 Skyline? Move to Ontario or NB. Or wait like everybody else.
You can also circumvent the ban by importing a Daihatsu Midget II that is equipped with a manual trans. It is a single-seat kei truck with the 4spd and is legal even though it came out in 1996. With the automatic it gets another seat and thus becomes illegal.

Nuance, pas plus de 25 ans, 25 ans et plus, le monde ont de la misère avec ça...

So basically, you could import and reggo a rust free 1990 Eunos roadster instead of buying whatever we can find here?

Essaye pas, pas mal sur que c'est l'année de fabrication qui compte, pas le moi ou même le jour hahaha.

De mémoire c'est à partir du mois de fabrication que c'est calculé. Je vais tenter de retrouvé l'information.

Voila sur le site de transport canada: "Le véhicule a 15 ans ou plus (à l'exception des autobus). L'âge d'un véhicule est déterminé d'après le mois et l'année de fabrication, et non d'après l'année du modèle. " http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-fra.html

Au Québec il ne semple pas avoir aucune mention. S'ils utilisent l'année du modèle pour les taxes, j'imagine que c'est semblable pour plaqué un RHD.

Last edited:
So basically, you could import and reggo a rust free 1990 Eunos roadster instead of buying whatever we can find here?

Useless.

You'll pay a lot more for your insurances on a RHD Miata for basically no reason at all. The car is EXACTLY the same. The only reason I,d buy a JDM is to have a model we never had in North America.

There are plenty of clean Miatas available here. Just gotta do your homework.

Back