Article: Do Some People Store Their Cars Because They Think It’s Cool?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
0415-storage2.jpg

http://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp...store-their-cars-because-they-think-its-cool/

Have you ever seen someone store their not so hot car and wondered to yourself why that person would go through the trouble and expense of doing so?

I suppose that anyone who wants to keep their car clean and rust free could justify storing it but let’s be honest – how many of us really plan to keep that stored car for more than 20 or even 10 years?

Rust could start to show through after ten winters or even less but if the vehicle is properly protected, this can be negated and when it comes time to sell it’s a non-issue.
Lowered cars don’t’ fare well in the snow but a replacement suspension will probably run you less than a replacement vehicle when it’s all said and done.

A good detail after the winter could erase any salt stains. So where does that leave us?

Unless you drive an exotic, a classic, or a car you plan to keep for twenty years, it’s probably best to just raise it, put some snow tires and drive the thing.

Full Disclosure: I’ve stored my Type R every winter since I bought it so maybe I fall into the category of storing because I think it’s cool, haha. I can tell you, however, that I hated storing it and dreaded every December like it was the end of the world but I did plan to keep the car for decades.

Who do you know who stores their car and maybe shouldn’t?

Y'en a qui ont 10 paires de soulier et prenne leur beau soulier seulement lorsqu'il fait beau. Alors si t'as l'argent pour faire la même chose avec une voiture, pourquoi pas. Peut importe l'auto.

C'est vrai qu’au printemps ont commence souvent a revoir des grosses dompe avec des fartcan(J'imagine donc qu'elles était entreposé). Chacun a droit de faire ce qui lui plait, personnellement, je n'ai ni l'argent, l'espace ou l'envie d'avoir un beater, donc je roule ma voiture a l'année.

Low temp thermostat
Forged piston with non-oem specs (thermal expansions)
Large Throttle body without idle valve
Custom tune
Car height

Decreased operability starts around 0-5 degrees C.

Aside from the reasons you mentioned Danny, there's one major factor that has been left aside. Winter is the time when there are the most fender benders/accidents. Even if the owner doesn't have the intention of keeping the car for 10+ years, an accidented and repaired car will lose a good 30% of it value compared to completely original cars of the same mileage/year. It's a way of greatly reducing risks, hence the term "beater" for winter cars.

I also think that we shouldn't judge what others find valuable or not. We may not think a Honda Civic (or ITR) are cars that are worth putting in storage, but as you obviously know from having been in this situation, what others think of your car doesn't affect how YOU feel about your car. You store it because you want to. That's all.

I'd turn the question around; Is one of the reason why people do not drive a shittier car in the winter that they are afrais of not looking cool in a beater? Clearly...

There was also the fact that cheap 500$ econobox from the 90s were reliable and a hell of a lot of fun to beat the piss out of in the winter in the early 2000s.

Je comprend les personnes qui store leur voiture RWD sport qui ne peuvent meme pas avancer a la lumiere quand il y a de la neige ou une exotique mais ceux qui store des econobox qui prendront jamais de valeur ou un awd c'est incomprenable

this fascination of storing cars is stupid. You buy a car to drive it, so drive it.

Only exotics that can't drive in cold weather / snow should be stored, and only as a safety precaution. If it were safe to drive them in winter, do it!

Ca fait 10 ans jai mon mustang et que je le serre l'hiver. Il est rester propre et sans rouille.
Pis ca me donne l'hiver pour lui faire les modifications que je veux.

Cest pas un exotic ou un auto dispendieux mais jai les moyens de le faire alors pourquoi pas?

There are other reasons:

I store the Sidekick because frankly it would be a PITA to spend the winter trying to move it around so that the snow removal contractor can do his job, it's a PITA with two cars in the driveway, let alone three. I don't want to get rid of it for several reasons. It's 17 years old and has been paid for over a decade, owes me nothing in terms of maintenance, insurance is cheap and I have future plans for it as it will be my daughter's first car.

Next winter will be a different story with my her driving it, this was probably the last winter it spent off the road. I still have winter tyres and steelies for it although I don't think I'll put the hard top back on it, it's too much of a hassle. As long as the heater works right?

I hear you! I own a UrS4. Why do I store it? It's Quattro right? It lasted 21 years and is in pretty good shape. Why? Because i want to conserve it. Probably one of the most iconic sedans out there from it's time. Ur is short for ursprünglich. Meaning original. Not to many C4's were shipped to NA and they where only available in 5 speed transmission and loaded to the nuts. It even has a hands free cellphone! LOL

So, yeah, i can understand some people storing their cars for the winter to keep them clean and free from rust. In 4 years it will be 25 years old.

yep im so cool dawg!

i drive a Honda civic 1998 dailydrive all year long and i store my RHD silvia for the winter.

save gas and drive like an asshole (because civic problem)

Back