Dirt : PC Early Access

Practiced a bit more today and tried to be a little less insane. Going what felt like terribly slow, I got a 9:41. With a couple of stalls, and running off. Then I pushed it a little, but stayed conservative during tricky parts and got a 9:25.61, by far my fastest. The secret, as always, for me is to go slow to go fast!

Now I just have to do that without any restarts! :)

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah191/Joe_Makkerh/photo 1_zpsclgh2qwj.jpg
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah191/Joe_Makkerh/photo 3_zps29p5w2nz.jpg

09:25 holy fuck man!!

The best I could do was 10:19 and I thought I was going fast :)

I tweaked my car to loosen the diffs a little and lengthen the gears a lot. The suspension might be a tad softer too to absorb bumps a bit better. The biggest improvement, however, came when I stopped thinking about speed and thought more about safety. It's remarkable how many seconds one loses recovering from small mistakes caused by slightly-too-fast corner entry.

09:25 holy fuck man!!

The best I could do was 10:19 and I thought I was going fast :)

Earlier in this thread, 10:19 was my exact time too, and I felt the same way back then. It was PhotoshopAddict's videos that inspired me to improve my time further - his run was so tidy, calm and under control compared to mine. My first reaction to his vid was that he could go faster in places, which is exactly what usually got me in trouble.

You need to start recording your runs :D

Bug2k practices a lot, i see him everyday in dirt rally on steam hehe

Ha! Since the last challenge ended, I only got on on Friday for the first time. And then it's only 20 minutes to an hour at a time. Just when the wife is out, I don't have the kid, or everyone's asleep. :)

11 hours in 14 days, according to Steam.

Last edited:
You need to start recording your runs :D

I will be building two new rigs next week. They will have the horsepower for me to run shadowplay finally, and have a video of the runs. Right now, I am using a CPU that is 5 generations behind the current crop, and a GPU that is 4 generations old. My frame rate is definitely slower than those of the other vids in this thread, which seem buttery smooth.

Well that was an intense 1h! Sat down for a bit of practice (haven't run hillclimb in a looong time) then did the whole event in one "stint". Got a 9:37 on the 1st run of the last stage then on the 2nd run I said fuck it, I have a good time, I'm going all out! Despite two major run off and one minor run off I managed a 9:28, not bad! Didn't beat my practice time though (see below). Was a fun event, first time I practiced a bit before an event because you all seemed really serious about this one haha.

What should be the next event? A bit of Group B?

2015-11-01_00001.jpg~original

Wow, convincing victory there. I'm just glad I finished the event before you started it, so that I was at the top for a little while! :)
Great job - you continue to raise the bar here. 9:20!!

As for next week's runs, any chance we could do two events simultaneously?
That way people can choose an event that suits them, or ideally do both.
I haven't driven any Group B cars at all, except the Audi for a few runs, so that would be pretty new to me.

How about Group B Wales and tarmac Pikes Peak?

Was a fun event, first time I practiced a bit before an event because you all seemed really serious about this one haha.

I have no idea what you're talking about. :) :dunno:

Last edited:
I'll try to run two events at the same time but last time I think it didn't work. Let's do this, Group B at whales and PP tarmac, I'll set up the events tonight.

Just tried, I cannot have two events at the same time, they have to have 3hrs between each event. So I went with Group B at wales starting tonight 21h45. Good luck everyone! :)

J'adore l'update sur les Group B! Elles sont beaucoup plus facile à controler et placer à l'endroit que tu veux. Avant elles étaient pas mal twichy/imprévisible mais maintenant tu peux vraiment sentir que les pneus sont d'une autre époque et tu sens plus le transfert de poids qui se fait.

J'ai juste eu le temps d'essayer la Citroen et Mitsu R4 jusqu'à maintenant (j'ai trop passé de temps à tripper sur Group B). La citroen est vraiment trop stiff pour Finland, faut jouer avec la suspension pour pas finir dans le décor quand il y a 3-4 jump un à la suite de l'autre. Autre ce détail elle est très l'fun à conduire, elle est rapide, précise et agile. La Evo, ça m'a pris 3 stage avant de me rendre compte qu'elle était RHD haha. J'arrivais pas à mettre le doigt sur ce qui était différent des autres. J'aime la 5e gear qui est très longue, très l'fun à conduire!

J'ai décidé de me concentrer à faire les achievements de championnat master, va assez bien a date pour les années 60 :)

J'ai décidé de me concentrer à faire les achievements de championnat master, va assez bien a date pour les années 60 :)

Which cars did you guys use to get through the championships? I used the 1960s Mini for Open and having problems right now with 205 Group B in Clubman. AI is too good.

Back