Anyone done a road trip in Ireland?

Mastermis

All,

Anyone done a road trip in Ireland?
I have been to Dublin before and need to go back on biz in June - I am good for Dublin so don't need any input on that. However, plan to stay an extra week with the wife and rent a car.

Any input on things to see/do are appreciated.

My very initial list is:

- Giants Causeway
- Titanic in Belfast (Northern Ireland)

Any recommendations on castles would be appreciated. Wife loves visiting castles!

Please keep me (us?) posted - I'm headed to the UK/Portugal in September, looking for some nice spots to check out!

Was thinking of flying into London for a few nights, then fly to Dublin, few nights there, rent a car to drive around Ireland, fly Dublin to Portugal for a week or two, come home.

Si tu va dans un pub, oublie pas de chanter une chansons de beuverie irlandaise

I followed the coastal road around the bottom half of Ireland, going from Dublin, to Galway, then back through the mainland. Best suggestion I could give you, is to rent a narrow car. The rest of Europe is spacious compared to Irish country roads. Most of Irish roads are lined by stone walls that were built before motor vehicle existed. Alot of roads are built on these ancients paths. And there's bushes and vegetation that grow on those walls or on the side of the road that encroach onto the lanes. So just to make your trip more enjoyable, get a narrow car, driving a fullsize and hearing branches and vegetation scratching up the side of your rental, every time you move over for an oncoming truck, is not super fun.

country-road-with-stone-wall-near-Oonagh-Bridge-Enniskerry-Wicklow-Ireland.jpg

img_3885.jpg

These were the notable stops in my trip:

- Cork, beautiful city, nice restaurants and bars
- Dingle peninsula and Slea head drive, by far, the most beautiful scenery
- Conor pass, absolutely epic drive
- Moher cliffs
- Gap of Dunloe
- N67 from Kilkee to Galway

Hope these help a bit. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, Ireland is really one of those places where it's the drive and not the destination that matters:bigup:

Back