2008 impreza 2.5i problems or what to look for ?

Watever

Legacy Member
Looking to purchase a new car since my escape was destroyed in accident.

The 2008+ subaru impreza 2.5i is probably the best car in size, fuel consommation and price.

But I am worry on the engine problem, oil leak, gasket etc...
Should I be ?

What should I look for in a used car and how to avoid it ?

Thank you guys/girls !

No, just like any other car it has its problems. The 2.5 is fine as long as it's NA and has had regular oil changes and maintenance. Have it inspected if you don't know what to look for, but usual suspects are:

-oil leak from valve covers (it has two) gaskets. Easy to fix, 1hr each in driveway.
-oil leak from spark plug gaskets, same fix as above.
-head gasket usually lasts 200.000km or so on those but in some cases it goes as early as 50k so make sure that's tight
-rust tends to come out of the rear wheel arches, inspect there throughly

Look at brianmobile1 s youtube channel. He's been a great resource.

Post pics of whatever you wind up getting okay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rust, they do rust pretty much everywhere.

Oil: it drinks, and sweats if it wasn't maintained properly.

Cooling: make sure coolant was well taken care of

Brakes: premature break wear, you'll be changing pads often...

Gas consumption: expect stupid numbers, in winter you won't be doing anything better than 11-12L if you do only city. Summer I get 7-8L on the highway and 10-11 in the city.

Rattles: it rattles from everywhere, known heat shield problems, the downpipe heat shield gets loose and rattles like a butch.

Bearings...

You'll need to make sure all the maintenance was done religiously as the EJ25 is a very "fragile" engine...

It is a 7 year old car after all so yeah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this car brand new back in 2008. It now has 125 000 KM on it. The brakes where replaced once under warranty with the pads. Thats pretty much it...
This car is really cheap to maintain, max I had to spent at the dealership was 235$ for the 120K maintenance.

Oil: Like any other car, I do my oil change at every 8K (vs. 5k as recommended by the dealership)

The car is really solid, motor runs great, and honestly I dont agree with this engine being "fragile" its a tank as long as you dont strap a turbo on it.

Rattles: As mentionned by OG the car will rattle for the known heat shield problems (the heatshield rust out)

However, the 2.5 is a really solid car, and if you fix the heat shield problem, there is absolutly no rattle, very solid car.

Make sure you look into a well maintenained one and you should have no problem.

However, the gas consumptions sucks. I get 10/100 on average.

BTW, I plan on keeping it for another 100K. Car drives like if it was brand new.

Back