Civic expert help me ... Engine no compression

2.8L

Pour faire une histoire courte

Mon chum park son char ( il fonctionnais sans probleme ) ... Reviens le lendemain pour le partir ... Ca vire dans le beurre ... On dirait que la timing belt a lache

Le char a 20-10-10-20 de compression

La timing belt est correct ... Le char est timer ... Jai lu que si la belt skip une dent cest assez pour que le moteur parte pas car yaurai pu assez de compression ... Mais ca pas lair detre le cas ... Pis jtrouve que la compression est vraiment basse ... Pis non jai pas de leakdown tester sinon jaurais fais un leak down

Le moteur a pas overheat

Y chauffe en grand pere ... Pas de risque davoir miss shifted ou dekoi

Des idees avant douvrir ou de changer le moteur?

Civic 1999 ... 1.6L

Merci

Sent from my LG-D852G using Tapatalk

Will do ...

I just find it odd that over night the valve would of bent

My freind told me that he was cranking ... Then he heard a noise .. And now it soudns exactly like if only the crank is spinning .. But the cam and crank are spinning and everything is timmed ... And no compression on all 4 cylinders

Im confused

It's the timing belt, it could have let go just as the motor was turned off. It happens and you have a 50/50 chance one or more valves are bent.

Thats the thing ... The engine is timmed .. It defenitly dint skip a tooth

Could the belt be streched enought to have so low compression? ... I mean if the timing is off... Its only a few degrees ... I cant believe the valve are opened enough to have such low compression

Let me simplify this, your timing belt snapped and most likely just as the engine was shut off. Now if you crank it over you must be getting an engine thats turning over fast. Either your able to do the job or send it to a garage. Also the water pump is driven by your timing belt, replace it at the same time. What can also happen, the water pump seized and that is another possible cause for the belt to snap.

What's the km's on this car and when was the timing belt replaced. Normal replacement to prevent such issues is every 100,000km's

Timing belt covers are off already

The timing belt is FINE ... It did NOT snap or skip ...the engine IS timmed ...

Thats what confuses me

When you say the cam and crank are turning are you looking at the cam sprocket or did you open the oil cap and look to see the cam spin? Could be the pin that prevents the cam sprocket from turning that broke

Timing belt covers are off already

The timing belt is FINE ... It did NOT snap or skip ...the engine IS timmed ...

Thats what confuses me

Never mind, lack of information and not answering questions.

Good luck

Sorry if im not clear

Let me clarify

My friend calls me up as the car is not starting ... When we crank the car ... It sounds like the belt is snapped ... The engine is not compressing ... I removed the upper timing cover on the spot to make sure the belt is still in one piece

I get the car towed at my place

I set the the crank at TDC ... The cam IS lined up

I do a compression test ... 20-10-10-20

I remove the other belts and valve cover ... I remove the lower cover to be 100% sure the engine is timed ... And it is .. The crank and the cam are lined up ... If they are not ... Its not even one teeth off which should be normal considering the belt is not new

Now how can i have such low compression since nothing points to a skipped timing belt ... Therefore bent valves

I never saw a timing belt skip ... Bend valves .. And set itself back at TDC

Like i said earlier ... The car was running ... He shut it off .. The next day there is no compression

I have trouble believing the rings on 4 cylinders disintegrated over night

He says the car did not overheat ... Maybe it did and the head warped or lifted ... I dont know

I dont want to open the engine ... No time and my friend probably wont want to pay

Im coming to the conclusion that if i want to solve this issue i will have to open the engine

I just wanted some input before i open the engine or send the car to the scrap

Last edited:
leak down test is the way to go. youll know if the intake ,exhaust valve or the rings are leaking...

just put air into your cylinder and bring to compression by turning your crank. youll hear a whistle in the intake if its the intake valves, a whistle in the exhaust if its the exhaust valves and remove your dipstick to see if it leaks in the bottom end

dont rule out that the headgasket cracked between the cylinders.
i also agree for a leakdown test.

dont rule out that the headgasket cracked between the cylinders.

cracked headgasket usually you get low compression on 2 cylinders side by side... all 4 his pretty rare for an headgasket. my first bet id say he mishifthed it over-reved and bent all 8 exhaust valves

cracked headgasket usually you get low compression on 2 cylinders side by side... all 4 his pretty rare for an headgasket. my first bet id say he mishifthed it over-reved and bent all 8 exhaust valves

I agree its rare. So is the head cracking or something of that nature. If it was a cracked head or headgasket it could be fixed.

i think a engine swap D16 will be cheaper , faster & more time efficient than spending all these time to diagnosis haha. How expensive can a D16 be anyways.

check si ya de la compression dans la base sinon check les valves

check le camshaft le keystock peut etre strippé

la poulie du crank sur le d16 a 3 coches assure toi que c'est timé sur la bonne

80-1994_accord_timing_marks_2b925d270feab28e6266a6ea04d20e75a637b066.jpg

leak down test is the way to go. youll know if the intake ,exhaust valve or the rings are leaking...

just put air into your cylinder and bring to compression by turning your crank. youll hear a whistle in the intake if its the intake valves, a whistle in the exhaust if its the exhaust valves and remove your dipstick to see if it leaks in the bottom end
Je sais .. Je lai ecris plus haut .. Si javais un leakdown tester ca srai deja fait

Anyways ... Ya pas 10000 options ... Le moteur est scrap

Juste jaime pas ca etre dans lincertitude ... Jaurais aime savoir exactement cest quoi le probleme

Reste a voir si mon chum va vouloir changer le moteur ou scrap le char

Merci du input a tout ceux qui ont contribue

Je sais .. Je lai ecris plus haut .. Si javais un leakdown tester ca srai deja fait

Anyways ... Ya pas 10000 options ... Le moteur est scrap

Juste jaime pas ca etre dans lincertitude ... Jaurais aime savoir exactement cest quoi le probleme

Reste a voir si mon chum va vouloir changer le moteur ou scrap le char

Merci du input a tout ceux qui ont contribue

Peut importe laquelle des 2 option qu'il choisi, ça n'a pas d'impact si tu t’amuse à "ouvrir" le moteur pour savoir ce qui c'est passé. Au pire tu va trouver un problème réparable...

On veut des photos!

Moi si ca me chatouille mais jai pas le temps ... Jpeux pas occupe mon garage 1 place par simple curiositee

Le char sen va demain

Back