Article: Why no one will own a car in 25 years

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
There is an article on Business Insider which predicts that almost nobody will own a car in the next twenty five years. The author makes a descent case and I like the horse comparison she has come up with. I have a feeling it might be more like 50 years rather than 25 years but she’s probably right. Why would anyone own a vehicle if the kind of automation that we know if coming makes that expense obsolete?

0715-driverless-cars.jpg

In just a few short decades, owning a car could be a lot like owning a horse — mostly for hobbyists and really unnecessary for transportation purposes.Technologies such as self-driving cars paired with transportation networks such as Uber will pretty much kill the need to own a car in 25 to 30 years, Jamais Cascio, a futurist and senior fellow at the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, told Business Insider.

And that will completely change how we think about cars.

"It is going to be a more cultural shift even more than a technological shift because we have this romantic culture around cars and we are going to look back at that in the same kind of wistful way that we looked back at the relationship people had with horses," Cascio said.

"You will probably have school girls with all kinds of model cars around the room instead of model horses. You will have people who really enjoy personally owned cars, but for the same reason people own horses today. It's not a utility; it's something that is a romantic hobby."

While it may be hard to think of parting with your car right now, the truth is, trading ownership for a service model may actually make more sense in the long-term.

Cascio argues that the traditional car model will become more or less obsolete because self-driving cars are simply more efficient. People will not own cars because it makes more sense for them to use a network of self-driving cars that will show up on demand when needed.

"It may not be the vehicle that brought to you where you are and you may not be in that vehicle later in the day, but transportation is a service that is almost without notice," he said. "It's individualized without being individually owned. It's individual without being personal. It's no more individual than a sidewalk. Or no more personal than a sidewalk. It's just a tool."

In just 15 years, by 2030, the self-driving car market is expected to reach a whopping $87 billion, according to a recent report by Lux Research. That helps explain why, in addition to the tech giants Google and Uber, just about every car manufacturer is working on the technology.

While only a handful of states have passed laws addressing autonomous vehicles on the road, more than 10 states are considering legislation related to self-driving cars.

Cascio, however, said this sort of on-demand service model would most likely be confined to regions such as towns and cities. To travel from region to region, other advanced transportation systems such as high-speed railways will be adopted.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-no-one-will-own-a-car-in-25-years-2015-6#ixzz3f7cg5y7u

Les gens vont toujours avoir des voitures que ce soit comme passe temps ou par nécessité. Probablement quelle vont pouvoir nous reconduire chez nous seul lorsqu'on est trop soul mais il va toujours avoir des enthousiaste de voitures.

Plus personne roule a cheval dans la rue de nos jours, mais il y a toujours des gens qui achetes des chevaux comme passe temps.

The insurance industry will lobby the fuck out of this.

These articles are nothing more than communist utopia, rapid totalitarian change does not happen in a capitalist democratic society.

The insurance industry will lobby the fuck out of this.

These articles are nothing more than communist utopia, rapid totalitarian change does not happen in a capitalist democratic society.

lol I think that's a bit overkill. Most people don't enjoy driving and it's a part of their daily grind they'd happily get rid of. The article is just predicting where the market will go and I agree with them. Self-driven cars will become a novelty like horses.

C'est vrai que c'est réaliste.

Dans 50 ans on va dire a nos petits enfant qu'on conduisait nous meme notre voiture, pi tout ce qui nous réparait de la voiture qui vient a sens inverse c'étais une ligne jaune peinturer sur le sol.

La face qu'ils vont faire! on va se faire traiter de malade si on y repense un peu.

J'espere qu'on va toujours pouvoir conduire nos auto de rêve, mais avec un option vallet qui pourrait mettre la voiture a pilote automatique, ca serait le top!

ok, how about self driving planes ? haven't seen these yet, but technology exist for more than a decade ago...

why ?

regulations.... public opinion... etc.

I don't see at all why poeple won't own cars... The opinion of the author seems a little narrow minded... MANY people rely on owning a personal vehicle... I do agree that cars may become more and more automated as time progresses, but to not own one? Not sure...

Taxis and buses exist already, and have been around a long time, most people still own cars. If cars become self-driving, why wouldnt you own your own self-driving car? Personally, I still need to go get groceries, see friends/family at various times, get to work at different times etc... I don't see why I would regress and need to call and wait for a self-driving car to show up to bring me somewhere. Especially a car that is not mine, smelly and/or dirty...

What I rather think that will happen is 25-50+ years is personnaly owened self-driving car, so people with money will by a self-driving BMW with leather interior, A/C, even iced-tea dispenser and a big ass TV while less fortunate people will have a self-driving Kia with cloth interior and a kool-aid dispenser and a medium sized poor quality TV.

For Enthusiasts, race tracks, some toll roads and "country" roads will probably still exist for "normal" driving. For a long time there will probably be an overide for driving in parking lots, around your home driveway/proprety, trailers, moving etc... 100% fully automated driving for EVERYDAY carious uses is far from happening soon.

How would one take a road trip in a self driving car? The article says that inter-city travel will be done through high-speed railways....we are nowhere near having such an infrastructure and it will take a whole lot more than 25 years to get it done. I agree there is some truth to the article, but it's probably more like 50 years and even then, I don't think car ownership (for transportation purposes) will fully disappear.

Brb buying toyota tercels and storing them so I can sell them to "hobbyist" 50 years in the future that have ever owned a car before lol.

Srs tho, unfortunately I sure that day will come. A day when world governments and people forsake cars for more "efficient" forms of transportation. And the highways of the world come crashing down.

but-it-is.jpg

33883bd93f3e5a1a5d2777403d2719be963b3b81fb1cfa4ac011b69f4aba4daa.jpg

lol I think that's a bit overkill. Most people don't enjoy driving and it's a part of their daily grind they'd happily get rid of. The article is just predicting where the market will go and I agree with them. Self-driven cars will become a novelty like horses.

Those people can use public transportation or move in the city.

La vision du journaliste est juste pour les gens qui habitent en ville.

Même dans 25 ans, ceux qui habitent en région vont avoir des voitures.

Mais bon, le journaliste est probablement un ''gars de ville'' alors c'est trop difficile pour lui de s'imaginer qu'il y a des traces de civilisation humaine en dehors des métropoles.

I'd say we are in the final hoorah for internal combustion. 10-15 years. Totally self driving cars in 20-30 years, I can see some cars having "driver assist" in 5-7 years.. Most cars with radar guided cruise control can sorta self drive themselves already.

The utopia she speaks about in the article is for an entire new generation.. The massive amount of money required for those ideas is astronomical.

I think the self driving/ride share car is a great idea. People who communauto or such are already a danger on the road

Back