X1 rear brake Pads

BMWX1

Hello,

I noticed in my X1 2012 ,that the rear brake pads are due in 1200 Km , the car has 36000 KM . Is it normal to have the rear brake changes at this low mileage ? or it is a faulty sensor ?

The Car still under warranty but of course the pads are not covered , do i have to change the pads at BMW ? or Can i change it at an independent shop ?

Thanks

in most cases you can reset the warning and you will be fine

mine came on twice before i had to really redo them (i obviously had them checked out by my mechanic)

if you do alot of highway I think it skews the projection... or at least thats what I think

I don't think the computer did a great job of guessing your wear.

Best to look at them, the rears last a lot longer then the front. 36000 km seems low.

The only time the rear pad sensor should emit any signal, is when its touching the disc, other then that, any other warning you get related to brakes, is the onboard computer guesstimating when you need to have the pads checked, which is more often then not, as more service=more $$ for BMW, so they want you to come in often to "check".

PS: My rear brake sensor went bad on my mini, the warning i got was of a STOP NOW OR DIE nature on the dash, but after reading the code it was throwing out i figured out it was just a malfunctioning sensor, brought it into mini to see if they would replace it as the car was still under warranty... and they didnt as its considered a wear\tear part, they had the balls to charge me 45 mins labor to take the wheel off so they could inspect the brakepads (CLEARLY visible through wheel, or on a lift), even though i told them no need to check since i already verified i got plenty of pad left..... point of the story, DIY.

PS#2: Some bmw\minis do have insane rear pad wear, some people say its because of the DSC braking all the time while cornering trying to keep the open diffs working on the wheels that need it, particularly during winter.

Those rear pads aren't very thick and the DSC system/ Electric E brake system wears them out fast. I would not to reset the warning light but rather have all the brakes inspected. To change the rear pads you need software to back off the rear calipers

I can have a look at the pads this week if you wish and we can see exactly what's need. PM for details.

Back