VW's pre-historic 2.0L 8v is soon getting axed

Dubweiser

The 2016 Jetta line-up becomes all turbocharged with the introduction of a new 1.4L TSI engine, replacing the naturally aspirated 2.0L 4-cylinder. The 2016 Jetta S and SE will now be powered solely by the lightweight 1.4L TSI, the same engine used for several years in the Jetta Hybrid, but without the Hybrid's electric motor and battery pack.

Compared to the former 2.0L engine, the EA211 1.4L TSI engine delivers:
•More Horsepower
•More Torque
•Higher Estimated Fuel Economy
•Lower Emissions
•Stronger Acceleration
•Better Throttle Response

The 1.4L TSI engine replaces Volkswagen's 2.0L inline-4-cylinder engine as the powerplant for Jetta S and SE trims. Transmission choices will continue to be a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic®. Here is a comparison of both engines:

2016 EA211 1.4L TSI

2015 2.0L 4-cylinder

Layout
Turbocharged, 16V, DOHC, TSI

Horsepower

Torque (lb.-ft.)

Fuel Economy (city/hwy, est.)
TBD (manual)
28/39 (6-speed auto)
Fuel requirement
Regular unleaded

The MY2016 Jetta 1.4L TSI volume engine is expected to launch third quarter, 2015. Here's the MY2016 Jetta line-up:
•Jetta S – 1.4L TSI (new; replaces 2.0L I-4)
•Jetta SE – 1.4L TSI (new; replaces 1.8L TSI)
•Jetta Sport – 1.8L TSI
•Jetta SEL – 1.8L TSI
•Jetta GLI – 2.0L TSI
•Jetta Hybrid – 1.4L TSI/electric motor

The 1.4L TSI engine is built using EA211 modular gasoline engine matrix (Modularer Ottomotoren Baukasten) or MOB. This modular strategy provides cost efficiencies through standardization, and includes these features:
•Compact, lightweight design
•4 valves per cylinder, dual overhead cams (DOHC)
•Variable valve timing for top performance at all engine speeds
•High-pressure Turbo Straight Injection (TSI) for low emissions and efficient combustion
•Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
•Compact turbocharger designed for fast response, high torque at low engine speeds
•Crankshaft vibration damper for smoother, quieter operation
•Aluminum cylinder head with integrated exhaust manifold
•Belt-driven camshaft with automatic tensioning rolle

I never hated on the 2.0l 8V but it's time to upgrade. The 1.4t is well known in europe so it should be problem free...but a timing belt, really?

It was about time, lets hope the entry level Jetta will remain affordable. And 150hp is quite a lot, only 20hp less than the 1.8 (it used to be 122hp in Europe for a while). It would make sense if they raise the 1.8tsi output to 180 horses

It was about time, lets hope the entry level Jetta will remain affordable. And 150hp is quite a lot, only 20hp less than the 1.8 (it used to be 122hp in Europe for a while). It would make sense if they raise the 1.8tsi output to 180 horses

elle doit rester abordable mais a de la place pour monter de prix légèrement si on compare les modele de base de 2 marque ex:

Mazda3 GX pdsf= 15995$
Jetta Trendline pdsf = 14990$

le modele de base peux facilement monté de 10%

1.4L is a good engine power wise. Had an A3 rental in German with said engine and fuel economy was excellent! Shuts down 2cyl on the highway

This thing is about twice as old as me, and was never worthy of discussion. Good riddance, I wonder how they even manage to only get 115hp out of a 2l engine...

Very nice upgrade from VW. Now, can they work on the styling department and design better looking cars??? The only nice car in their current lineup is the Golf and its variants.

Need a new Jetta, the Euro Passat Wagon, new Tiguan, new Coupe, etc...

1.4L is a good engine power wise. Had an A3 rental in German with said engine and fuel economy was excellent! Shuts down 2cyl on the highway

Agreed! The 1.4TSI is plenty powerful. I even tried the 1.2TSI with 125hp in a Seat Leon and it didn't feel unpowered at all!

This will totally transform entry level VW's!

This thing is about twice as old as me, and was never worthy of discussion. Good riddance, I wonder how they even manage to only get 115hp out of a 2l engine...

Not competitive now, absolutely. Never worthy of discussion? Hardly. That engine (in non-crossflow guise) was a refence and the one to beat for the longest time.

Agreed! The 1.4TSI is plenty powerful. I even tried the 1.2TSI with 125hp in a Seat Leon and it didn't feel unpowered at all!

This will totally transform entry level VW's!

Le line up de chez Seat est nice aussi, ca pourrait etre intéressant de voir VW faire un peu comme dodge/chrysler/Fiat et vendre des voitures Seat.

Bon move de VW de faire un deuil du 2.0L NA et d'offrir de quoi un peu plus moderne et performant.

SEe my Nickname,

i used to say i drive a GTi, people would ask does it have a VR6 ?
i'd answer with , like bro Extremes (club) last night was crazy

at one point i was just saying i have a GOLF...

I never hated on the 2.0l 8V but it's time to upgrade. The 1.4t is well known in europe so it should be problem free...but a timing belt, really?

belts :

chains :

qzluvlolghztvktp1ljl.jpg

:D

The 1.4L TSI engine replaces Volkswagen's 2.0L inline-4-cylinder engine as the powerplant for Jetta S and SE trims. Transmission choices will continue to be a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic®. Here is a comparison of both engines:

really??? 5 speed ???? common almost every cars have 6 gears nowaday

Le 2.0L 8v était conservé car ça ne coûte rien en maintenance. Sachant que les gens qui achètent une jetta de base veulent surtout un char pour aller du point A au point B, le moins de maintenance, le mieux.

Now je veut ce moteur dans la golf ! Baissé un peu le prix :) haha

Pas besoin de plus que 150hp anyway . Daily driver c'est bin parfait

Back