Just a FYI. Importing a car from Ontario

Matt01

Hi Guys just to tell everyone clearly the steps to bring a car back from Ontario, and so you don't have the same trouble I did.

Step 1. Get the VIN from the owner, insure the car with your insurance company, bring a paper with your policy info. Ontario requires this to issue a special permit (transit plate).

Step 2. Bring PASSPORT and/or BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Ontario will not issue a transit plate without this ID. You need this to prove your legal name. If you're like me on your health card and QC drivers license it's only my fake name that is written on it, Ontario will not accept it.

If you're clever like me, you'll meet the seller at the Service Ontario office. Give the car a quick test drive, and do the transfer. The seller needs to sign the back of the car registration, and you need to fill out the rest (the new owner section) It's like 15$ for the special permit.

Step 3. Drive the car home with the transit. Fix whatever problems the car might have.

Step 4: Get appointment at the SAAQ inspection center. I've passed 2 cars at Mazda Longueuil, they're pretty good, if the car is safe, you'll pass. Don't know about modded cars however.

Step 5: Once you get your inspection papers from the SAAQ Inspection center, bring the paper + completed Ontario registration to the SAAQ office, and pay pay pay!

P.S. wait time in Service Ontario is absolutely ridiculous, plan for 1- 2 hours here. Also if you buy a car in Toronto, the traffic is also ridiculous, so plan for 2-3 hours here, if you leave after 3pm.
Overall my experience with Service Ontario + the city of Toronto was completely crappy.

Good Luck!

You don't even need to do any of that if you are bringing back the from Ontario on a trailer or if the car is already here. The owner just needs to sign/fill out the back of the regi certificate and you bring that to the SAAQ. You can get a temporary transit for inspection

You don't even need to do any of that if you are bringing back the from Ontario on a trailer or if the car is already here. The owner just needs to sign/fill out the back of the regi certificate and you bring that to the SAAQ. You can get a temporary transit for inspection

I guess its good to know for those who want to drive it back, on a trailer its indeed really easy.

You need a bill of sale at the saaq too, the lady told me the signed registration wasn't enough

I guess its good to know for those who want to drive it back, on a trailer its indeed really easy.

You need a bill of sale at the saaq too, the lady told me the signed registration wasn't enough

Its funny I offered to show the bill of sale to the saaq but she didnt want to see it. I didnt however try and claim the price as 1$

I had to drive it back, I don't have access to a pickup or a trailer, renting would be expensive for me.

I drove mine back on the seller's license plates. He was nice enough to let me do that while the agreement was to send them back to him once the car arrived at Montréal.

In my case the lady at the SAAQ counter never asked for a bill of sale. Instead she asked how much I paid the car and looked lost with all the papers I gave her so I don't think she was used to do those kind of things.

1. Just ask the guy to meet you at the border of Quebec,

2. get a transit paper from Saaq

3. go to Revenue Quebec to get a VD-87 form

4. inspect vehicle

5. go to SAAQ with the following documents :

- inspection
- bill of sale
- ontario registration
- VD-87 form
- Drivers license
- money

All this can be done in 2-3 hours...

1. Just ask the guy to meet you at the border of Quebec,

2. get a transit paper from Saaq

3. go to Revenue Quebec to get a VD-87 form

4. inspect vehicle

5. go to SAAQ with the following documents :

- inspection
- bill of sale
- ontario registration
- VD-87 form
- Drivers license
- money

All this can be done in 2-3 hours...

The transit paper from the saaq is not valid to drive in Ontario?

The transit paper from the saaq is not valid to drive in Ontario?

Le transit de la SAAQ c'est fait aujourd'hui pour ramener un véhicule chez toi, pas se promener avec. C'est pas pour rien qu'ils l'ont diminuer à 4 jours. En plus je suis pas sûr que c'est valide sur les routes d'Ontario vu que tu payes pas une contribution d'assurances comme sur tes plaques.

Toronto! 3X more people there. SAAQ in Vaudreuil, in and out. Here at service Ontario, in and out! SAAQ downtown Montreal. In and out? I doubt it.

I insured my car and got my 3-day transit from the SAAQ before I picked it up. I told the clerk at the SAAQ that I was going to ON to pick up a car and that's why I needed the transit; he didn't object.
I then went to ON, gave the seller the rupees, took his signed registration and then bombed it out of Ontario and to my SAAQ inspection garage.

Back