I might need a copyright lawyer

lord_galathon

Anyone here knows one or is one?

I imagine everyone and their moms are familiar with this:

I wasn't. I heard it for the first time this morning on the radio across the hall from my office.

This is mine. Listen to my bassline throughout the track.

Yes. It's copyrighted from 1993 when I came up with it, and then registered with SOCAN since 2010.

PM me if you can help. It's not the first time a popular song has parts from some of my old music but this time it's a bit too obvious. I became upset when I heard it earlier.

Before someone says "they don't sound the same at all": They don't but the hook on the popular song is definitely my bassline. Whether they play it on a bass, sing it using "do do do do dooo dooo doo" with a baritone or use a flute the line is there.

In all honestly, I'm no expert, but I doubt you'll have a case. While I can see where you'd think they are similar, copyright infringement for music requires a certain minimum number of notes and harmony to be recognized as legitimate copying.

Your base-line sounds something similar to C-F-D# and Bruno Mars' sounds more like D-G-F, and they are both played on different time signatures and sequences.

Would be interested in seeing how this plays out though.

They're not sampling anything of yours, i don't see how this can go anywhere? The whole Pharell Williams thing saying it sounded like Marvin Gayes track, is this what you are trying to impose?

Should I be vexed that it won song of the year and all I got was this shitty video?

Hopefully it won't get flagged because I say the lyrics "Beatles" and "Rolling Stones" and used a Microsoft computer, Casio branded MIDI keyboard, Behringer microphone, Steinberger guitar and Gibson bass to record the ORIGINAL song.

"Song of the year" lol.

ÇA c'est le genre de thread que tu devrais quoter dans YLYL, pour une fois tes posts serait drôle.

Back