Interesting technical documentation about toyota's D4S motors 2GRFKS

kahos

I came across some technical documentation about toyota's 2GRFKS engine used in the new 2016 Tacoma I found rather interesting.

http://www.toyotareference.com/guts/tacoma16_engine.pdf

This engine uses both traditional port and direct fuel injection as well as variable valve timing (VVT-iW) with an atkinson cycle which makes for an interesting combination

The document goes in depth and explains some of the benefits as well as how tit all comes together.

It's highly technical and very specific but I figured some of you might enjoy the in-depth look into some technologies such as direct injection and variable valve timing.

Many manufactures are switching back to tradition port injection in combination with DFI as it avoids carbon build up on the intake valves that has plagued most DFI engines.

Many manufactures are switching back to tradition port injection in combination with DFI as it avoids carbon build up on the intake valves that has plagued most DFI engines.

Mazda's line of Skyactiv engines are an example of direct injection design which runs colder than average, effectively eliminating carbon buildup.

Carbon build up is nasty. IIRC Ford's only "remedial" for some ecoboost engines with excessive carbon build up calls for a straight up cylinder head replacement. Old school alternatives such as using seam foam won't work and would wreck the turbos.

But hey, it probably allows them to get 2%* better figures on the EPA tests so it must be worth it!

*totally made up number

I thought it was neat to read how and why port and direct injection are used in combination at low to medium load vs direct injection only for high load.

At first I thought this system was too complex for no reason but then again, considering the benefits it affords in tweaking emissions and power output, it's probably worth it.

Mazda's line of Skyactiv engines are an example of direct injection design which runs colder than average, effectively eliminating carbon buildup.
They got that down now they should make theyr engeneer work on rust prevention.

They got that down now they should make theyr engeneer work on rust prevention.

Not a fanboy, but show me a 2010 with any rust on it.

The first generation of Mazda3s had just about the worst just problems ever. Then they were face-lifted in 2007 and most of the corrosion issues were "solved" with better sheet metal & better galvanization. In 2010 came the 2nd generation, and I kid you not; I'm always checking these things out to make sure they aren't rusting (you know, because my car is the next gen in line...). To this day, I haven't seen a single one rust in the rear fenders. I'm crossing my fingers, but I think Mazda became so synonymous with rusty cars that they sought to solve this, and in the process became well above average amongst Japanese for rust prevention.

Google search mazda 2010 rust ends a diffrent result but i thunk they are trying to fix it at least.

Back