Porsche to offer the next gen GT3 with a manual transmission

Jeremi01

-- STATISTICIEN --
There's faith in humanity afterall.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/02/porsche-911-gt3-manual-transmission-report/

Porsche may have offended some of the purists among its customer base when it rolled out the current 911 GT3 with only a dual-clutch transmission. But according to Car and Driver, the next GT3 will get a stick again. The development comes as the good folks at Zuffenhausen (and Weissach) attempt to balance the instant-shifting benefits of a DCT with the direct involvement of a conventional manual transmission. On the one hand, Porsche introduced a new seven-speed manual with the 991-generation model. On the other, it didn't offer that manual (or any manual for that matter) on the GT3 or even the more hardcore GT3 RS.

In response to customer demand for a more back-to-basics approach, Porsche is preparing to introduce a new variant expected to be called the 911 R, with a manual, no turbos, and skinnier tires for a more linear driving experience. And the Cayman GT4 was launched only with a manual instead of a DCT. "The GT3 is full of systems that make sense on the track, but for the purist, there may be something lost," Porsche GT chief Andreas Preuninger told C/D. "It is our long-term goal to have the customer decide between the two approaches." In addition to the DCT, the current GT3 also features a four-wheel steering system.

The shift (so to speak) back to a manual option in the next GT3 will undoubtedly come as a welcome development for those purists offended by the DCT-only option – to say nothing of Porsche's movement towards SUVs, diesels, and hybrids. That manual option may not, however, offer all seven forward cogs available in the stick-shift Carrera. One way or another, though, we don't doubt that most customers would still go for the dual-clutch option over the single on they can actuate themselves.

They did so because people started buying older 997s, the values shot up. Porsche makes money selling new cars, not used ones. So it was a natural business decision

They did so because people started buying older 997s, the values shot up. Porsche makes money selling new cars, not used ones. So it was a natural business decision

I think they're doing this so the very vocal minority of manual enthusiasts get off their soapbox and STFU. Meanwhile they'll sell just as many DCT equipped GT3 and the fanboys can go back to bragging porsche makes real cars for real drivers.

This should correct the 996/997 GT3 used car market a bit.
Will they release aircooled models next as well?

I think they're doing this so the very vocal minority of manual enthusiasts get off their soapbox and STFU. Meanwhile they'll sell just as many DCT equipped GT3 and the fanboys can go back to bragging porsche makes real cars for real drivers.
Perhaps

They are doing this because many wifes do not like driving manual! ;) :p Funny how things change. For example, the UrS4/UrS6 was only available in MANUAL in North America! Go figure! :dunno:

Chris Harris would be so happy. He wouldn't shut up about it for a while, which is very understandable nonetheless.

If only 997's had 993 interiors.

Mehh to me 991 are the only nice porsche interiors.

To me a coupe sports car MUST have a full console that separates the driver from the passenger, to give you that "cockpit" feel.

Most porsche just have a standard stick shift to the ground and that's pretty much it, to me I feel like im in a golf lol

331-e1301912706358.jpg

VW-Mk6-Golf-GTI-51.jpg

To me, a nice sports car has a complete console for a better cockpit feel lol :

P15_0067_a4_rgb.jpg

2016-audi-tt-interior-3-1500x1000.jpg

But hey that's just me lol I am kinda weird sometimes.

I guess the US really loves manual transmissions for sportscars. 997 Prices are completely stupid with people paying above sticker of a new GT3RS in 2012 to get one with 6-10k miles on it...

What are the numbers for the Corvette ? It would be interesting to know the manual vs automatic sales for the higher end trims like the Z06

Back