RUF CTR Yellow Bird - The full 19min onboard video

He also deliberately throw the car sideways entering many curves.

I'm not too sure he's going for lap times, he's driving like a hoonigan :p

a good demonstration of expert driving and an extremely well balanced car

One of my old time favs. You can feel the how heavy the rear is just by the way the car slides. I used to do Yellowbird Nurburg laps on gran turismo all the time and man was it unforgiving.

One of my old time favs. You can feel the how heavy the rear is just by the way the car slides. I used to do Yellowbird Nurburg laps on gran turismo all the time and man was it unforgiving.

it looks very forgiving to me in this video, that dude is just throwing the car everywhere and "saving it" like it was nothing

Il la "garoche" dans les courbes en esti. Pas nécessairement le plus rapide, mais le plus fun...

I'm not too sure he's going for lap times, he's driving like a hoonigan :p

a good demonstration of expert driving and an extremely well balanced car

Have you ever driven a turbo 911 from that era? These cars are everything but well balanced... The extra power and narrow body of the Yellow Bird makes it even worse.

I saw this car when it was in for servicing last year... Amazing to see a piece of automotive history in the flesh.

it looks very forgiving to me in this video, that dude is just throwing the car everywhere and "saving it" like it was nothing

heh

Purists said that the BTR handled “predictably”, and yes, it was very predictable...in the same way that if you were to put a loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger, it wouldn’t take a crystal ball to know what would happen. RUF however were not put off by the faults in their masterpiece, and went back to the drawing board to etch not only a newly modified 911 Turbo, but also a harsh lesson for Ferrari. And then in 1987, Ferrari’s lesson was complete: it was the birth of the CTR.

It looked exactly the same as the BTR, albeit, with a slightly sleeker body - but this was a very different animal to its predecessor. “What did they do to fix the BTR’s dangerous handling?” I hear you ask. What they’d done is bolted to the 3.4L engine another turbocharger, which subsequently added 100BHP…oh, and they’d also narrowed the width of the front tyres by 20mm down to 215 section, and kept the 255mm rears. That was it; that was the extent of their ‘improvements’. On the face of it, their alternative remedy was rather like trying to cure a tickly cough with an entire bottle of laxatives; there you’d be, one hand over your mouth, one hand over your methane exhaust, sweating profusely in the knowledge that if you dared to cough, it’d end in a smelly disaster.

With the extra power ready to charge to the rear wheels, cornering stopped being a dangerous exercise and became something only undertaken by the psychologically unstable.

[...]

Thinking of the handling traits I’ve gone to rather troublesome orating lengths to describe, you’d think straight lines were where you’d want to keep the Yellowbird. It’s natural territory; the place where car and driver felt comfortably safe. The absolutely last place you’d want to thrash it is on a circuit. But in 1989, German nutcase…I MEAN racing driver, Stefan Roser took a CTR for a shakedown at the most fearsome and dangerous racetrack in the world: the Nurburgring.

If you’re a motoring enthusiast, you’ll have most probably seen the famous video linked above of his lap and thought “that man is a complete lunatic!” Truth is, he was just trying to keep the car under control. Every one of the 148 corners of the 2 laps he did is taken with blue smoke pouring off the rear as he recreates the motoring equivalent of a stunt plane display. But somehow, even though the car behaved like it was in cahoots with the laws of physics to assassinate the driver, a new Nurburgring lap record was set of 8:05 - not a second of which was anything other than perfectly controlled craziness.

1344459697909704009.jpg

http://therevlimiter.kinja.com/ruf-ctr-yellowbird-blast-from-the-past-1718284669

just notice in the video whenever he gives a slight steering kick the car just go ' well fuck you too SCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEECH ' it's rather amusing

Back