Article: Instead Of Lighting The Jacques Cartier Bridge, How About Paying Our Cops & Teachers?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
Instead Of Lighting The Jacques Cartier Bridge, How About Paying Our Cops & Teachers?

1115-jacques-cartier-bridge-lighting-640x350.jpg

Last summer, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre announced a plan to install lights on the Jacques Cartier Bridge to commemorate the 375th anniversary of the city.

The project would be a joint project between the Federal and provincial governments, the city of Montreal and the Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated and cost a whopping $39.5 million dollars. The city will be responsible for $9.5 million and the rest will come from the Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Corporation owned and financed by the federal government (also known as a crown corporation).

The Montreal Gazette did some research into other bridge lighting projects and found that on average this project is ten times more expensive than anything they found in the world.

The bridge most comparable to the Jacques Cartier Bridge was the John A. Blatnik Bridge in Duluth, Minn and its lighting system cost only $750,000 U.S.

Montreal 375 committee head Gilbert Rozon is actually claiming this project will pay for itself! He thinks the bridge will be seen as a new icon for the city like the Eifel Tower is to Paris. It’ll be widely photographed and recognized throughout the world and lead to an increase in tourism presumably. Do you know anyone who traveled to another city because of a crumbling 85-year old bridge with lights on it?

You know what might counter this alleged increased tourism? Cops wearing camouflage pants, dirty police cars covered in stickers and teachers protesting on street corners forcing people to take time off work.

To be fair, it’s not the mayor’s job to negotiate with the provincial unions, nor is it the federal government’s but he could make a statement in favor of responsible governance that could make a huge difference in the lives of the people province-wide. Opt for a cheaper lighting project, send the money back and tell both the federal and provincial governments that before they spend one penny more in this province, teachers, cops, firefighters and other public workers should be taken care of first.

The $40 million is a drop in the bucket compared to the $16.9 billion earmarked for education spending in the 2015-2015 provincial budget but it shouldn’t matter. If the government (and really – does it make a difference in eyes of the voters whether it’s provincial, municipal or federal) is willing to waste money on this project, they are surely able to muster up some extra cash and present a reasonable offer to public sector workers.

http://www.montrealracing.com/wp/en...ridge-how-about-paying-our-cops-and-teachers/

Avec 40 millions de dollars tu ne paye environs $100/année d'augmentation aux policiers, professeurs et infirmières. lol

Last edited:
Lol denis coderre... Yer sur un esti de power trip. 40million vs 750k.
Pis ils compare le pont jacques cartier a la tour Eiffel hahahahaha

Denis Coderre était pourtant dans le droit chemin... Il sait parler créole, encourage le canadien, fait caca dans le fleuve...

Une chance que le pont va etre illumine, les excréments seront visibles la nuit aussi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

less pay for the cops..less cops on the road or cops on strike i don't see any problem with that...

It's 40 million dollars, with installation and dismantling (twice because they want to repaint the bridge a some point in the near future) and maintenance for 10 years. It's also illuminating both sides of the bridge, has an dynamic/interactive component and I'm pretty certain that the Jacque-Cartier Bridge is more complex structures than the one's it's being compared to.

It's not the city's job to pay teachers, this is a commitment for 10 years, providing raises for everyone is a commitment into perpetuity. Frankly this city need something it can look at and be proud of.

I was hoping these "articles" would stay out of OT. Guess not

Montreal reminds me of Springfield sometimes.. All we're missing is a monorail and escalator to nowhere ... Well we are almost there with the dorval circle overpass to nowhere

If i recall correctly, the salary raises the public sector employees are asking for amount to 4.7 Billions. Per year. And that's on top of the 2 Billions they are getting automatically by changing pay scales.

So, where do we get that money? Raise taxes? Put a new tax on gas? The taxpayers are already doing more than their part and are nearing the breaking point.

Instead Of Lighting The Jacques Cartier Bridge, How About Paying Our Cops & Teachers?
I have a question of my own: do the cops deserve more money?
They haven't managed to dent the activities of organized crime, they are afraid of patrolling the "ethnic areas" of Montreal at night, have done nothing to stop the corruption at city and provincial level. The only thing they are good at is to rob the honest citizens on the highways.

The bridge most comparable to the Jacques Cartier Bridge was the John A. Blatnik Bridge in Duluth

the-john-a-blatnick-bridge-connecting-duluth-mn-and-superior-wi--22414.jpg

VS

xpro2964.jpg

c'est tu moi ou c'est pas comparable

I have a question of my own: do the cops deserve more money?
They haven't managed to dent the activities of organized crime, they are afraid of patrolling the "ethnic areas" of Montreal at night, have done nothing to stop the corruption at city and provincial level. The only thing they are good at is to rob the honest citizens on the highways.

They seem to do nothing about the construction business collusion, prostitution everywhere, basically they are only there to tax the citizen with stupid tickets while yelling loud and clear that they are doing this for public safety. hahahaha please.

Politicians have more credibility than police officers. Cold hard truth.

Raise salaries for nurses, paramedics, teachers, doctors, babysitters. You know? shit that actually affects children/health/education and collaborates to society.

Coderre is a farce, yet another wasted politician on Montreal. He gives the impression to get things done but in reality he doesn't...

Just look at him...Quel bouffon.

1113-na-sewage-copy.jpg

Back