Native Americans against Christopher Columbus

lord_galathon

I think it's unfair to judge Columbus by TODAY's standards for something that happened half a millennium ago but apparently they don't.

I also like how some of the natives interviewed view him as being the "thief that stole the United States" from them.

Like there are no natives in Mexico, Canada, throughout South America.

I wonder how they'd answer if someone asked them about Pizzarro who in fact did commit a genocide against Incans, or Cortez (Cortes) that literally destroyed the Mayans. I wonder if they'd even know what I'm talking about.

lol fucking whiners.

Also I can't stand people who stick out their thumb when giving the finger

The guy had a pretty long drawn horrible death...

During a violent storm on his first return voyage, Columbus, then approximately 41, suffered an attack of what was believed at the time to be gout. In subsequent years, he was plagued with what was thought to be influenza and other fevers, bleeding from the eyes, and prolonged attacks of gout. The suspected attacks increased in duration and severity, sometimes leaving Columbus bedridden for months at a time, and culminated in his death fourteen years later.

Based on Columbus' lifestyle and the described symptoms, modern doctors suspect that he suffered from Reiter's syndrome, rather than gout.[85][86] Reiter's syndrome is a common presentation of reactive arthritis, a joint inflammation caused by intestinal bacterial infections or after acquiring certain sexually transmitted diseases (primarily chlamydia or gonorrhea).

They should should feast on the grimly part of his life, call it "karma is a bitch" thing and move on.

At the same time we do blow him out of proportion in the history book. We've been putting aside the very shitty side of the story. He did what he did not because the moral standards were that different back then but because he was in a position of total control over a land without law or order. It is unfair to the native to leave that part out of the story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus#Later_life

More recent views of Columbus have tended to be much more critical.[107][108][109] The combined effects of Columbus' forced labor regime, war, and slaughter resulted in the near-total eradication of 98% of the native Taino of Hispaniola.[110] De las Casas records that when he first came to Hispaniola in 1508, "there were 60,000 people living on this island, including the Indians; so that from 1494 to 1508, over three million people had perished from war, slavery, and the mines. Who in future generations will believe this? I myself writing it as a knowledgeable eyewitness can hardly believe it...."[110]

The native Taino people of the island were systematically enslaved via the encomienda system implemented by Columbus,[111] which resembled a feudal system in Medieval Europe.[112]

Disease played a significant role in the destruction of the natives; however there is no record of any massive smallpox epidemic in the Antilles until 25 years after the arrival of Columbus; rather the natives' numbers declined due to extreme overwork, other diseases, and a loss of will to live after the destruction of their culture by the invaders. When the first pandemic finally struck in 1519 it wiped out much of the remaining native population.[113][114] According to the historian Gonzalo Fernandez de Oviedo y Valdes by 1548, 56 years after Columbus landed, fewer than five hundred Taino were left on the island.[115]

Columbus' treatment of the Hispaniola natives was even worse; his soldiers raped, killed, and enslaved with impunity at every landing. When Columbus fell ill in 1495, soldiers were reported to have gone on a rampage, slaughtering 50,000 natives. Upon his recovery, Columbus organized his troops' efforts, forming a squadron of several hundred heavily armed men and more than twenty attack dogs. The men tore across the land, killing thousands of sick and unarmed natives. Soldiers would use their captives for sword practice, attempting to decapitate them or cut them in half with a single blow.[116]

The historian Howard Zinn writes that Columbus spearheaded a massive slave trade; in 1495 his men captured in a single raid 1500 Arawak men, women, and children. When he shipped five hundred of the slaves to Spain, 40% died en route.[48] Historian James W. Loewen asserts that "Columbus not only sent the first slaves across the Atlantic, he probably sent more slaves – about five thousand – than any other individual... other nations rushed to emulate Columbus."[117]

When slaves held in captivity began to die at high rates, Columbus switched to a different system of forced labor: he ordered all natives over the age of thirteen to collect a specified amount (one hawk's bell full) of gold powder every three months. Natives who brought the amount were given a copper token to hang around their necks, and those found without tokens had their hands amputated and were left to bleed to death.[48][118]

The Arawaks attempted to fight back against Columbus's men but lacked their armor, guns, swords, and horses. When taken prisoner, they were hanged or burned to death. Desperation led to mass suicides and infanticide among the natives. In just two years under Columbus' governorship more than half of the 250,000 Arawaks in Haiti were dead.[48] The main cause for the depopulation was disease followed by other causes such as warfare and harsh enslavement. [119] [120] [121]

Samuel Eliot Morison, a Harvard historian and author of a multivolume biography on Columbus writes, "The cruel policy initiated by Columbus and pursued by his successors resulted in complete genocide."[122] Loewen laments that while "Haiti under the Spanish is one of the primary instances of genocide in all human history", only one major history text he reviewed mentions Columbus' role in it.[117]

There is evidence that the men of the first voyage also brought syphilis from the New World to Europe.[123] Many of the crew members who served on this voyage later joined the army of King Charles VIII in his invasion of Italy in 1495. After the victory, Charles' largely mercenary army returned to their respective homes, thereby spreading "the Great Pox" across Europe and triggering the deaths of more than five million people.[124]

That IS pretty genocidal behavior...

Sorry guys
Sorry black people
Sorry muslims
Sorry jews
Sorry Africa
Sorry Everyone else.

Yea I'm a white male. Sorry about that.

Sorry guys
Sorry black people
Sorry muslims
Sorry jews
Sorry Africa
Sorry Everyone else.

Yea I'm a white male. Sorry about that.

and you are also hétéro you cis scum!

Say sorry to gay and Transexuel. also do you check your priviledge today?

I thought this thing was big only 7-10 years ago

He was a top notch explorer like most Italians Explorer (literally in my history books ) , at that point you can go boycott every MErcedes/ VW product for making cars for hitler ... the again ones much more recent than the other, jus to show you how stupid this is

NOTHING wrong with Amerindians talking that they got destroyed by the Europeans , that is what happened it is a fact so its ok .

Back+to+the+future+source+dumpaday+subscribe+for+more_fb6e78_5327821.jpg

I thought this thing was big only 7-10 years ago

He was a top notch explorer like most Italians Explorer (literally in my history books ) , at that point you can go boycott every MErcedes/ VW product for making cars for hitler ... the again ones much more recent than the other, jus to show you how stupid this is

NOTHING wrong with Amerindians talking that they got destroyed by the Europeans , that is what happened it is a fact so its ok .

Recognize your Grand grand grand father get fuk. is legit.
Learn from the mistake of the past. always good.

the problem is today We see a race of who is the most the biggest victim.
The muh holocaust the muh black live matter Meh white genocide. Meh islamophobe. Meh LGBT...

look the group are the most victimized win.
like the girl who force his boyfriend to suicide. because she have no problem to complaint and relate to....

Donc Christophe Colomb est un innocent, et « shit happens » ?

Dans les Caraïbes, ça a mené au Génocide complet des Arawaks en République Dominicaine en Haïti. Pas un seul vivant.

C'est arrive comme une guerre.

Les Aborigenes d'Amerique vivaient ici en paix (plus ou moins a part quelques escarmouches entre tribus.)

Chris Columbus est arrive en explorateur et est rapidement devenu un envahisseur.

Il y a eu un conflit, les Aborigenes se sont defendus mais comme ils avaient des armes et tactiques inferieures aux Europeens ils ont perdu.

Comme dans ce temps la le terrorisme (et les explosifs) existaient pas (c'est pas comme si "Fuzzy Rabbit Feet" pouvait aller au marche des saveurs de la ville de Boston avec une veste faite de fleches & silex et se faire exploser pour la cause...) ben un coup la guerre perdue: Elle etait PERDUE. C'etait fini. Termine. The End. Finito.

/story

Tu peux pas arriver 2000 ans plus tard (par exemple) et te plaindre que quand t'as perdu la guerre contre (autre exemple) les Romains/Grecs/Turcs/Goth & Visigoth/Egyptiens/Prusses/etc. ils t'ont fait chier: T'as perdu une guerre.

Surtout si dans le fond t'as toutes les chances de l'Univers pour te refaire une vie dans leur societe apres-coup. C'est pas comme si on discriminait contre les Amerindiens non plus, ils peuvent aller a l'ecole, occuper des emplois. Le peu d'Amerindiens que je connais sont des bons gens, un peu faciles a souler et souvent sa grosse drogue mais overall des bon gens.

En fait, a propos de la video: J'en ai meme pas contre les Amerindiens. Dans le fond ils disent ce qu'ils pensent. J'en ai contre le producteur/productrice de la video "virale" sur Facebook/YouTube.

Il n'y a RIEN mais VRAIMENT RIEN de constructif la dedans.

I think LG watched the episode of the Sopranos about the colombus day and now he wants to stir shit up because italian roots.

why don't you just throw another of these translated italian jokes that no ones understands but you

Donc Christophe Colomb est un innocent, et « shit happens » ?

Dans les Caraïbes, ça a mené au Génocide complet des Arawaks en République Dominicaine en Haïti. Pas un seul vivant.

Ok!

C'est comme pour les Dodo. Yen a pu et on pourra pas les ramener.

Il faut éduquer les gens mais shit happens en effet. Colborne était aussi un pas fin.

I think LG watched the episode of the Sopranos about the colombus day and now he wants to stir shit up because italian roots.

why don't you just throw another of these translated italian jokes that no ones understands but you

You're just part of one of the two people on Earth: Italians. And everyone else that want to be Italian. Of course you're the latter.

Back