Design oddity

labatt50

Ever seen a inline 8 engine? ... in a ford tempo?

t_drive-2.jpg

http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-ford/FMC-engines/t-drive/default.htm

Very interesting!

The Italian Supercar Cizeta Moroder had a similar system, except it was a V16 engine in the back.

It also reminds me of the early Honda RA272 F-1 V-12

ra271.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-07-29-at-10.46.50-am.jpg

The honda engine with 8 valve and 2 rods per cylinder... was to cheat by having a v8 in disguise!

maserati 6 valve per cylinder

6-36-03.jpg

Not super radical, but I always found it weird ever since I saw it: the AWD Dodge caravans are equipped with a De Dion rear suspension, a type used on 1950's formula one and Lotus and Mallock sport racers...

It's a mix between independant rear and live axle. More than a mix I should, it is litterally both:

peugeot-boxer-dangel-II.jpg

The above image is not a caravn, but it shows more clear whata DeDion rear suspension is.

awd.jpg

In typical Chrylser fashion, they had a genuinely interresting deisgn, but the fucked it all up with fucking leaf springs, like a 1870´s Chuckwagon...

Another good one: BRM 3.0 liter H16 formula one engine.

the-10-most-unusual-engines-of-all-time-feature

V16+B.R.M.jpg

Surprisingly, lack of reliability and excessive weight killed it... Dunno why...

the OP reminds me of another experimental car that ford built in the 80's. They experimented alot and imo they were too ahead of their time releasing turbo charged engines as top sport models in the time of the 5.0 V8.

We all know the Mustang SVO + the Merkur XR4TI had the pintos 2.3L block in SOHC turbo form. I read the story a while ago, and I'll link to it later if I can find it again, Ford contracted Roush Racing to built a DOHC head for use in the Merkur. Which they completed and installed in a Merkur, tests proved the speed and reliability of the head, and testers agreed that it turned the car into a rocket ship. As always Ford was balls deep into it when they decided to scrap the DOHC project because of poor sales of the Merkur brand.
Legend goes that Roush still has the prototype head in their factory somewhere.

The DOHC 2.3 would have been as competitive as the YB Cosworth 2L or even better due to the strength of the cast iron block.
I ll update after I find more info

wow j'adore voir ca, more plz

Ben un design ' hors-normes ' les plus répendu est le VR6, très cool comme bébelle si on regarde comment il a été designé, mais bon j'apprends peut-être rien a personne

motor-vr6.jpg

500px-L_V_VR6_engines.svg.png

Presque aussi compact qu'un I4, aussi performant qu'un V6, fonctionne comme un I6

The name VR6 comes from a combination of V engine (German: V-Motor), and the German word "Reihenmotor" (meaning "inline engine" or "straight engine") - and so is described as a "Vee-Inline engine" (VR-Motor). It shares a common cylinder head for the two offset banks of cylinders. It has a specific sound that is unique and different than either inline or "V" engines. The engine is currently in use in a variety of VW models, one such example is the Volkswagen Passat NMS.[1]

This engine configuration was also adopted for the Horex VR6 Motorbike.

The Volkswagen VR6 was specifically designed for transverse engine installations in front-wheel drive vehicles. The narrow angle of 15° between the two 'rows' in the VR6 engine is a more compact size than a wider angle V6 design. This made it possible for Volkswagen to install six-cylinder engines in existing four-cylinder cars. The wider configuration of a wider angle V6 engine would have required an extensive redesign of the vehicles to enlarge the engine compartment. The VR6 is also able to use the firing order of a straight-six engine.

The narrow angle between cylinders allows the use of just one cylinder head - whereas wider angle Vee engines require two separate cylinder heads. This arrangement also allows for two overhead camshafts to drive all the valves. This simplifies engine construction and reduces costs. In early 12 valve VR6 engines, there were two overhead camshafts with six cam lobes on each. The forward camshaft has three intake valve lobes and three exhaust valve lobes to control the frontmost three cylinders. The rear camshaft is designed the same way, but controls the rearmost three cylinders. The operating principle of this design is most similar to a single overhead camshaft (SOHC) design. Later 24 valve VR6 engines still had two overhead camshafts, but with 12 cam lobes each. However, the operation of the camshafts in the 24 valve engine is different from that of the earlier 12 valve engine, in that the front camshaft only operates the intake valves, and the rear camshaft only operates the exhaust valves. The operating principle of this design is most similar to a double overhead camshaft (DOHC) design...

There are several different variants of the VR6 engine. The original VR6 engine displaced 2.8 litres and featured a 12 valve design (two valves per cylinder). These engines produced a DIN-rated power output of 128 kW

Tiens, ça aussi pour le W8, la logique derrière

horex-vr6-motorcycle-patent-includes-w8-configuration-31213_2.jpg

UB2B7dH.jpg

kswagenPassatW8W8EngineCutaway-vi.jpg

Aussi compacte qu'un V6, puissance et fonctionnement d'un V8, disposition vraiment compacte. pour une meilleure balance...

For installing to smaller and lower price cars, W8 is a logical development from the W12. However, W8 does not balance inherently, unlike W12. Like all W engines, the W8 has 5 main bearings and 4 crank throws like a conventional V8. It should have balanced as well as any conventional V8s, but space reason doesn’t allow. If you remember, conventional V8s can have 2 configurations:
1) flat-plane V8: some high performance V8s use this configuration. It works like a combination of 2 inline-4 engines so that there is quite a lot of second order vibration generated. However, these engines usually employ short stroke and lightweight pistons / con-rods to enhance power, thus vibration is also largely reduced.

2) Cross-plane V8: most V8s - including all sedans V8s - employ this configuration. It uses large counter balances incorporated in the crank throws to cancel the force generated by pistons and con-rods, thus all vibration is eliminated.

Because W8 is far shorter than conventional V8s, its crank throws are machined extremely thin and have no space for adding large counter balances. As a result, it employs the flat-plane configuration. Therefore W8 does not generate the "rumble bumble" noise like conventional V8s.

On the other hand, being a mass production sedan engine, W8 would have actually generated more vibration than the high performance V8s from Ferrari, Lotus and TVR, because:

1) Long stroke: the narrow-angle configuration does not allow bores too large, otherwise combustion chambers in adjacent banks would have been overlapped. Moreover, a sedan engine requires to generate a health amount of torque. No wonder Passat’s 4.0 W8 has a stroke measuring 90.2mm, longer than the bore of 84mm.

2) Heavier pistons: while Ferrari uses lightweight forged pistons and titanium connecting rods, the W8 can only seek more cost-effective method to cut weight from pistons.

To sports car V8s, a bit vibration means nothing. To the sedan-use W8, the only choice is to add twin-balancer shaft like many inline-4 engines.

Même principe pour le W12... meilleure balance de poids, plus compacte, plus de puissance...

Pour les OCD

Last edited:
Not an "oddity" but still interesting read. The saftey engineer at Volvo invented the shoulder belt. He did not ask for any money in return, Volvo encouraged all other manufacturers to use the superior design -- free. The engineer rallied governments to make the 3 point belt mandatory in all new cars sold, and proved how superior they were.

Quote directly from History.com
"Nils Bohlin, the Swedish engineer and inventor responsible for the three-point lap and shoulder seatbelt–considered one of the most important innovations in automobile safety–is born on July 17, 1920 in Härnösand, Sweden.

Before 1959, only two-point lap belts were available in automobiles; for the most part, the only people who regularly buckled up were race car drivers. The two-point belts strapped across the body, with a buckle placed over the abdomen, and in high-speed crashes had been known to cause serious internal injuries. In 1958, Volvo Car Corporation hired Bohlin, who had designed ejector seats for Saab fighter airplanes in the 1950s, to be the company’s first chief safety engineer. (A relative of Volvo CEO Gunnar Engelau had died in a car crash, which helped motivate the company to increase its safety measures.) Bohlin had worked with the more elaborate four-point harnesses in airplanes, and knew that system would be untenable in an automobile. In designing the new seat belt, he concentrated on providing a more effective method of protecting driver and passenger against the impact of the swift deceleration that occurred when a car crashed.

Within a year, Bohlin had developed the three-point seat belt, introduced in Volvo cars in 1959. The new belts secured both the upper and lower body; its straps joined at hip level and buckled into what Bohlin called “an immovable anchorage point” below the hip, so that they could hold the body safely in the event of a crash. According to Bohlin (as quoted by The New York Times in his 2002 obituary): “It was just a matter of finding a solution that was simple, effective and could be put on conveniently with one hand.”

In the interests of safety, Volvo made the new seat belt design available to other car manufacturers for free; it was required on all new American vehicles from 1968 onward. Since 1959, engineers have worked to enhance the three-point belt, but the basic design remains Bohlin’s. At the time of Bohlin’s death in September 2002, Volvo estimated that the seat belt had saved more than one million lives in the four decades since it was introduced. In the United States alone, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, seat belts save more than 11,000 lives each year."

The DOHC 2.3 would have been as competitive as the YB Cosworth 2L or even better due to the strength of the cast iron block.

The Coswoth YB always had an iron block.

Alloy block YB are all aftermarket engines, like the Millington Diamond.

But I am interested in the faith of this 16V Roush head. A common mod among the Merkur crowd is to fit a Volvo Turbo 16V head, as it is eerily close to the pinto head (bore spacing, stud arrangements etc)

2998_3lo.jpg

33581.jpg

5M7CCAY.jpg

Saab vs Symmetry
A turbocharger is placed on one side of the engine. Conventional balance is upset. And the world’s first asymmetrically turbocharged V6 is born. Unique in the realm of V6’s. Exclusive to the Saab 9-5. The goal was to design a 3.0 litre engine both powerful and efficient. By channeling exhaust gases from three cylinders to boost six, torque was maximised in a lighter engine. Acceleration is quick and smooth. Power is abundant. Ironically, balance is achieved.

:D

The Coswoth YB always had an iron block.

Alloy block YB are all aftermarket engines, like the Millington Diamond.

But I am interested in the faith of this 16V Roush head. A common mod among the Merkur crowd is to fit a Volvo Turbo 16V head, as it is eerily close to the pinto head (bore spacing, stud arrangements etc)

I didnt say it wasnt. I know about the volvo (Folvo) head swap.

I dont see it done that much, have not seen any dyno sheets of it being done successfully recently. If it was so easy I think it would be more common.

Like GM and the corvette, right ?

Another thing... Corvette use the transverse leaf spring has a spring only, it otherwise uses double wishbones, like any high end sports car. The Dodge Caravan and older leaf sprung suspension design use the leaf spring to locate the axle and as a spring. This is pretty damn bad for handling.

Ils vont vraiment utiliser le duke dans un vehicule? J'ai entandu dire que ca vibrait trop et que trop de pieces en mouvement ca serait un paquet de trouble

Back