Chesterman's best of Montreal restos for 2015

Le Mousso was terrible in my opinion... I still have a bitter taste in my mouth just talking about my experience there. Even more bitter when I look at the $$$ I spent for this junk.

Went there in October, a few weeks after the opening. I tried calling on the Friday for a reservation on Saturday and they never managed to call me back, but when my gf called saturday afternoon, she was able to get a reservation, go figure... We ended up booking for the full menu (7 courses or so) + wine pairing.

Once we got there, the service was really good, but the food was the most disappointing. The presentation was not as refined as critics made it look, the mastery of the culinary techniques just wasn't there either.

We started dinner with a celery mousse and smoked-infused trout. All I could taste was the "too much" smoke in the trout. Then we had a plate of confit style carrot that was supposed to taste like "marshmallow" with a side of "smoked" sponge cake. Well god damn, it tasted like a raw carrot... hard to cut and with barely any taste and the sponge cake tasted like a puff of smoke. And then, for the finale, we got 72-hour cooked sous-vide beef wagyu. God damn, we got overcooked beef wagyu that was dry (how the fuck do you get a dry meat sous-vide???). Lastly, we got the dessert which was "petit lait" with pepper. Both my gf and I thought the petit lait was really good, but we both choked on our first bite from the imbalance of pepper and petit lait.... WAY too much pepper.

This is why I said the techniques weren't mastered in my opinion, everything that was smoked tasted purely and only of smoke, the sous-vide was fucked, the incredible amount of pepper in the dessert.

One thing that also ticked me off was the use of ikea utensils. The same utensils my parents got me when I moved away from home when I was a student. God damn it... you're paying for a high-end restaurant, they gotta act high end.

What angers me too though, is that every food critic is in love with this place. I just don't get it... maybe it was just a terrible night for the restaurant and we happened to be there that night? i don't know.

I guess the only good thing was that I left the place with a good buzz from the 7 wines I had tasted through the night.

ok, i've emptied all the sand in my vagina.

I'm shocked she did places other than "fancy dining" she got flamed pretty hard for that last year and stood by only doing "fancy dining" Shes pretty stuck up and nothing stands out on her list. Damas is good but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.. Tapas24? really?

As I've said before Montreal has way too many restos

I'm shocked she did places other than "fancy dining" she got flamed pretty hard for that last year and stood by only doing "fancy dining" Shes pretty stuck up and nothing stands out on her list. Damas is good but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.. Tapas24? really?

Too many open and close, I don't bother checking out the newest places. If it can't stay open for a year I think it speaks to the quality of it.

Agreed about Damas As much as I like it, I wouldn't consider it fine dining and the wine list isn't that great but I haven't been since it moved.
There's nothing exceptional about Harricana, it's a nice place in a part of town that's sorely lacking in good bars/restaurants.

If I were more cynical I would say this is mainly just free advertising restaurant owners she's friends with.

Ill have to try Damas, and I do agree that Montreal has way too many restos. It's insane how many you can find down a stretch of a busy street.

Didn't read the whole thing but noticed she says in the beginning that Montreal is not a 3 Michelin star level city. What exactly does she mean by that? How do restaurants get rated to obtain these Michelin stars?

Ill have to try Damas, and I do agree that Montreal has way too many restos. It's insane how many you can find down a stretch of a busy street.

what's more worrisome is all the people going to these restos... banks are making a killing off that credit card interest!

Didn't read the whole thing but noticed she says in the beginning that Montreal is not a 3 Michelin star level city. What exactly does she mean by that? How do restaurants get rated to obtain these Michelin stars?

I find it's more a style of dining than a level of culinary excellence. The culture and the population in montreal just isn't conducive to it, we don't really do high-end uber-luxurious anything in Montreal. There's a handful of restaurants in town that certainly are michelin star level.

hahahaha Tapas24 is such garbage

Moi j'ai bien aimé la Tannerie pour un brunch . Je vais absolument i retourné pour un souper bientôt . Sa fait un bon apporté votre vin.

Je sais qu'il son entrain de développé un accord met bierre avec le dépanneur a coté ce qui laissera la chance d'allé acheté ta bière pendant que tu attend sont soupé !

Moi j'ai bien aimé la Tannerie pour un brunch . Je vais absolument i retourné pour un souper bientôt . Sa fait un bon apporté votre vin.

Je sais qu'il son entrain de développé un accord met bierre avec le dépanneur a coté ce qui laissera la chance d'allé acheté ta bière pendant que tu attend sont soupé !

la photo que t'as posté avait l'air vraiment appetissante entk... accord mets et bieres ca serait cool pour un resto, j'en vois vraiment pas souvent.

la photo que t'as posté avait l'air vraiment appetissante entk... accord mets et bieres ca serait cool pour un resto, j'en vois vraiment pas souvent.

Ma blonde avais pris les Pancakes au petit fruit et chocolat noir . La portion étais maladement gross ma blonde a jamais fini . J'aime pas les pancakes mais eux goutais la pates a biscuit cétais malade haha .

mon Chiken waffle en valais tout les dollard (16$) pas cher. Cétais malade

Any good suggestions around Stade Uniprix?

I've already been to pastaga. What about Manitoba? Tapeo? Impasto?

Back