What would you buy for ~$10-12k?

BallstriKer

Alright fellas. I'll be moving to Montréal soon and I'm trying to get an idea of what ~ $10-12k could buy me. Been mostly looking at kijiji ads but I'd be interested to know what you guys would consider the best-for-your-buck car in this price range.

I'd like something that's sporty, fairly reliable and with decent running costs. I know, not the easiest of combinations but that's why I'd love to hear your petrol heads opinions.

One last thing, coming from a high revving N/A motor in the 2zz-ge, I've always wanted to try my luck with a turbo car. So far I've been considering used MS3s, WRXs, A3/4s with the 2.0T etc. but they're all kinda tricky to buy used and can have all sort of issues if not carefully looked after.

What say you?

More details in your criterias?

Does it have to be recent? Manual only? All year fun or summer fun?

Based on the criteria we have so far, I'd go mustang. If you wan't older and fun, e36 m3. An audi TT could also be a nice option.

Thanks for chiming in guys!

Effectivement la gti est également envisageable merci!!

Rob preferably it'd be something I can drive all year round, manual and fairly recent (2006+). I'm not really set on a specific make/model but coming from a jdm background, j'ai commencé mes recherches par là.

This is mostly why I'd appreciate some help though, in case I'm overlooking a car that's a better value than what I'm considering now. That and the fact I'm not too familiar with the used car market in QC.

I should add that I've always wanted to own a Subaru but I've been sort of put off by all the horror stories about the EJ25. Next best thing on my list was the MS3 but in this price range, it'd have to be a gen 1 and they also come with their fair share of issues... Can't exactly afford to save for a possible engine replacement at this point...

Edit: Oh and an S550 Mustang GT 😍 One can always dream right...

Last edited:
what are you needs in terms of space and # of doors?
I don't have space constraints really but preferably a 5-door hatchback. Then again I wouldn't say no to a coupe or something with 3-4 doors as long as the trunk's big enough to fit some sport gear/the occasional luggage and the rear seats fold down.

Yeah, I'd stick with either a GTI if you really want a turbo hatch or a Civic Si which will probably have lower running costs and give you that high revving jap feel you're used to.

Thanks mate, appreciate your input! I've seen a few mk6's in the 12k-15k range on kijiji that might be worth a look. The mk5 honestly I wouldn't feel like it's an upgrade from my current car so...

And I'm ready to try something more torquey so I don't think the civic will do it but I hear ya about the running costs!!

cote fiabilité, a 10 000 $ t'as de quoi de bien coté civic SI. Moi j'ai un csx type-S 2007 (meme affaire qu'un si)Cote conduite sportive ca livre la marchandise avec les ratios courts, la bonne conduite et le differentiel LSD. Il est rendu a 160 000 km et a part des brakes et un filtre a air j'ai pas touché a ca. Je regrette des fois de pas avoir prit une GLI ou une GTI mais la honda a tellement livré coté fiabilité que je me console.

Oui c'est sur qu'un Honda avec un moulin N/A sera bien plus fiable dans cette gamme de prix. Si je n'avais pas cette obsession du boost en ce moment...

La M3 serait un vrai driver's car no doubt la dessus. Mais effectivement difficile a trouver bien clean a ce prix et j'ai un penchant pour la E46 qui est encore hors budget.

Instead of going with a turbo, You should consider something with more cylinders lol.

If it were only up to the petrol head in me I'd be driving a 2015 Mustang GT lol

Cheers for the links! 2011 323i relatively low mileage with extended warranty... That doesn't sound bad at all now does it ☺ Need to research their reliability now.

If it were only up to the petrol head in me I'd be driving a 2015 Mustang GT lol

Cheers for the links! 2011 323i relatively low mileage with extended warranty... That doesn't sound bad at all now does it ☺ Need to research their reliability now.

lol updated the list to make things more interesting. Just dont ask any of the mechanics on the forum how reliable the W engines are. Think with your heart not your brain. Owning a 12 cylinder car is a dream every petrol head should strive to make a reality.

quand un gars met audi S4 4.2 V8 dans une liste ou le demandeur parlais de fiabilité et de couts d'entretien normaux. Tu prend toute le reste des ses suggestions pis te met a poubelle.

lol updated the list to make things more interesting. Just dont ask any of the mechanics on the forum how reliable the W engines are. Think with your heart not your brain. Owning a 12 cylinder car is a dream every petrol head should strive to make a reality.

Haha but as majestic as it is there's no way on earth I'm gonna own that W12!!! I reckon the maintenance costs on that thing will probably drive me round the bend. Easy 😅

quand un gars met audi S4 4.2 V8 dans une liste ou le demandeur parlais de fiabilité et de couts d'entretien normaux. Tu prend toute le reste des ses suggestions pis te met a poubelle.

I did put a disclaimer saying it it was less reliable. the first 3 are safe suggestions.

I've got to say I'm swaying more towards the mk6 gti so far as I love their looks the best and they seem to have come with a shitload of goodies in Canada which is never a bad thing. Need to do some more research about that 323i now.

Edit: Silly me I thought the E90 323i came with a turbo I4 but it doesn't. Don't think I can settle for that, plus my current corolla looks a fair bit quicker : /

Last edited:
Back