My gti 337 build thread

je suis tout a fait daccord avec toi, mais "got to pay to play" jai 19 ans je suis a lecole a temps pleins je suis quand meme pas mal restraint dans mon budget et un setup turbo de qualiter, bien faite, avec rods, pistons et toute la poutine va me couter pas loin de 10k si pas plus. jaime bien faire les choses alors je naurais pas ete satisfait avec le setup pour cette ete, je l'aurais surement pas sorti.

cette annee ca va etre le air ride et le setup turbo dans le future. avec l'argent du turbo et tout je suis capable de me permettre la nouvelle suspension.

ps: je le fait pas pour le merite je le fait pour moi! ;)

Damn pour un gars de 19 ans tumbs up tu es habile d'avoir fait un build. A ton age je faisais pas mal juste changer mon huile pis mes tires. On dit que le tuning est finit et que les jeunes ne s'y intéressent plus mis à part mettre des sticker et des roues rose sur des mazda 3 mais tu es l'exemple qu'il y a encore de la relève

merci beaucoup!! cest vraiment le fun a entendre!

Tout ca n'aurais ete possible sans le support, laide et l'encouragement constant de mon pere Claude! Il ma dit jetait un malade quand jai commencer a demonter la gti, il a toujours cru en moi meme dans mes projet les plus fous meme d'avoir prit 3 semaines dr vacance pour m'aider a le finir avant la fini de la saison! Je ne pourrez jamais le remercier assez, je sais quil check souvent le thread, so shoutout to you dad, love you and thanks for everything!!

Update! Yesterday i went to pick up the gti from storage, only problem is the oil pan that leaks a little from the bolt. ill be changing it soon.
a9e44f2c868cf93bd022ad20c067a150.jpg

in the meantime i have also received glass lenses for my headlights!

Today was a good day! i went to pick up my front and rear bags, tank and compressor. I'll be getting the v2 management sometime this week.
ee61436ccccf1b1d1624708bf1d54c37.jpg

while i started to take off the front coils i noticed, a lot of axle grease -.- last summer i had changed 3 of the 4 axle boots and now 2 possibly 3 are done only from driving 1000km last fall. it seems like it was rubbing on the bottom of the front strut...

a70ebb9d771794effff19c364e53ca02.jpg

95fa8beb563ce92ea3b216f0545ed55b.jpg

to do list:
-frame notch
-install idf drop plates
-install bags
-install the glass lenses
-change axle boots again
-change the oil pan
-plug boost/airfuel/oilpressure gauges
-plug my radio
-re bleed the clutch
-tires for the new wheels
-put the box back on
-pray everything goes fairly well

Frame notch is a great exemple of why dropped cars have bad reputation and why cops are harrasing most of us...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1. its not even visible from with the wheel on
2. the area to notch isnt structural, the car wont fall apart
3. once welded, grinded and gravelguard is applied, its looks oem
4. you cant be low with a mk4 without a notch, the axle will bind
5. Rusted out ek hatches with shot floor pans, jb welded motor mounts, cut springs, with sick rimz is the reason why we are getting harrased

1. its not even visible from with the wheel on
2. the area to notch isnt structural, the car wont fall apart
3. once welded, grinded and gravelguard is applied, its looks oem
4. you cant be low with a mk4 without a notch, the axle will bind
5. Rusted out ek hatches with shot floor pans, jb welded motor mounts, cut springs, with sick rimz is the reason why we are getting harrased

1. the fact that it's not visible doesn't make it ok
2. I highly doubt you have the knowledge to confirm that
3. See 1
4. If your plateform can't do whatever you wan't, change platform
5. The fact that some make even worst doesn't excuse the fact that you are doing it wrong.

Your project is very nice and you have awsome craftsmanship, don't get me wrong. But it seems like in the VW world it's common practice to do crazy stuff for style purpose only and it's pretty sad to see to be honest....

i understand your point of view in a way, but i feel like im writing to a cop.

the shaved bay is "crazy stuff for style purpose only" i certainly didnt do it for better gas mileage lol
i did it simply because thats what i wanted, ive seen them at shows such as eurokracy and i thought they were cool so i made my own.

is not having wipers legal? no.
did i cut out the raintray? yes.
is welding in the engine bay permitted? certainly not.
are bags legal in quebec? nope.

frame notching is necessary in order to get the maximum low out of bags even coils if youre really low.. one of the reasons why i am switching from coilovers to bags. Where i live the roads are terrible, my driveway isnt made for lowered cars, another reason why i chose to get bags. it will make life alot easier. plus i will be able to park alot lower at meets and shows.

The thing i dont understand is why you point out this frame notch thing when the whole project is welding, grinding in the engine bay and also possibly affecting the structural integrity of the car.

Either way the notch is done.

ps: i know an engineer, he's notched on a mk4.

Last edited:
1. the fact that it's not visible doesn't make it ok
2. I highly doubt you have the knowledge to confirm that
3. See 1
4. If your plateform can't do whatever you wan't, change platform
5. The fact that some make even worst doesn't excuse the fact that you are doing it wrong.

Your project is very nice and you have awsome craftsmanship, don't get me wrong. But it seems like in the VW world it's common practice to do crazy stuff for style purpose only and it's pretty sad to see to be honest....

faudrait pas tu vois mon truck...lol!!!

first thing i had to do was the notch, i was worried about the paint in the engine bay, i was able to pull it off without damaging anything. i used a 2-1/2" hole saw, made a paper template then cut up a piece of 1/8" pipe i had laying around to weld into place. i didnt take pictures of the end result but only needs to be gravelguarded and we can call it a day.

8fd1865da79e903e6228805ec6836f4f.jpg

f211e7d54e9420f388d19d8347b87eef.jpg
a2dfcbbf09de2437e1586575028bf3a4.jpg
1fcdc1e8d9fc86bce4123d084e728d2f.jpg

Next up i installed the idf drop plates, since i didnt need to change my bearings i used a puller to have access to the rear bolts to pull the hub off the beam, it went fairly well. i bought the plates used but i had ordered a new set of hardware from idf.

f4a2ee573057da620f03f1b198f5c0da.jpg

f2fe7215d455f4e824a68eb01ce39469.jpg

2ca2e7d8db4790edc5f45a1f788c5231.jpg

Next up was drilling the shock towers... for some reason the holes ended up being a tiny bit off so i had to file them a little bit bigger, it wont be a problem since the holes were a very tight fit in the first place so even after making holes bigger the bags arent even close to being loose in the shock towers. i had a mini heart-attack when i first test fitted the bag lol i also regret not taking off the coils when we painted the bay.. ill have to try and do some touch ups on the paint.

16c43694171448a03d92f756190fbabd.jpg

e33829b61b011b9e5fc1051bf1f9d7ea.jpg

e836a730875273e4df2d56cff080b532.jpg

i finally got around to fixing the handbrake which hadnt even worked since i got the car 👍🏻 the cable was stuck under the car so it was already fully tentioned at the caliper, after pulling on it, we got some loose and then i readjusted it.

next up ill have ro fix the holes for the passenger side bag get new bolts and washers, install rivnuts for the rear bags and then ill only be missing the management and lines until i can finally test out the suspension

Function over form !!!!

change platform

Frame notch is wrong !!!!! I'm calling the saaq to report you hahaha

Little update*

I finished installing the bags but ive been waiting on a management that should come in tomorrow! I also went on a trip to granby to pick up 4 nitto neogens for the new wheels

adbd1074f23454595b1f3482eef79e44.jpg

i just received 2 new axle boots to replace the broken ones, i bought new a few missing fittings for the tank and compressor and changed a broken quick-connect on one of the fronts.

little test fit!
93c947b0bec2c816294bc3d06d28647d.jpg
19294d26a798cdb27dfd59f7eb988079.jpg

im also happy to say i got accepted into the show&shine at the Soclean show!
0b556f2c730b8ec60bafeda95695c6e3.jpg

so i since i first took out the car it would sometimes overheat, no matter how hard i tried to bleed the coolant system it still got too hot, so i bought a new rad since the one i had was getting old and was probably clogged.

I very carefully bled and put in as much coolant as possible in order to hopefully have the least amount of air in the system.

I was able to go to julep and back (200km) without any problems or overheating, such a nice feeling since i was always stressed about my temperature lol

today im going to get an aluminium plate cnc machined for the raintray heater hole! im also going to Gabeurosport to try and clear out some codes with vag-com and possibly a throttle body calibration.

here are a few pictures my buddy @awholley took of my car for the Eurokracy show&shine application!
d4ee6be5eb4dfe54c785a326e57958b1.jpg
fc582222a0640cbbe85ce33107835f04.jpg
2722eec92122d4c1ba2ed23fdb64084f.jpg
b231c4005c81a88aea54a88adbf712d7.jpg
07e35ce7f54e5d04039e9fe9eaf5c49c.jpg
c8351d2538baa6334480f2f1df44676d.jpg

ps: 300km on air without any problems (yet) fingers are crossed that it stays that way, i also out in the 2 new axle boots which arent rubbing anywhere this time so these ones should last!

Tu n'étais pas caché assez loin on était stationné près de toi dans le fond aux races wars (le genre de 180sx sti v8) et wow ton auto en jette! Au loin couché sur le béton avec les nouvelles roues, de toute beauté et je suis pas un gars de vw ou bag mais capable d'apprécier tout le diy

Tu n'étais pas caché assez loin on était stationné près de toi dans le fond aux races wars (le genre de 180sx sti v8) et wow ton auto en jette! Au loin couché sur le béton avec les nouvelles roues, de toute beauté et je suis pas un gars de vw ou bag mais capable d'apprécier tout le diy

votre char est malade! haha mais merci beaucoup, next up cest un drift build ;)

Saw ur car at spring bash looks damn awesome on the Notelles outstanding work sir *tu*

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back