My MK4 TDI

Yup the 4motion Bora belongs to me since may/june...i bought it from my friends friend who originally imported it. Its my daily. This thread is mostly about the jetta but ill post things about the bora time to time.

Anyways ill update a bit more...

Soo during the summer i started gathering parts for the winter..

When i was at h20i i picked up a sectionned subframe(modified to sit 1 inch higher off the ground). My buddy is currently blasting is and respraying it.
e21ddaf707c30bf8a4478f6565bbf7b8.jpg

I also got 1 inch engine spacers to match with this...this will completely raise the whole engine 1 inch.

Also aquired some cool and rare parts for it...
Projektzwo grille:
2e2474f64a91f08b55448527fd5bb7be.jpg

Projectzwo P1 Mirrors (brand new)...hunted soo long for these, they shipped from germany 4days ago actually:
331d06200b2da39508ea329267017b61.jpg

And a pair of shaved/slightly widened front fenders i got from a buddy in NJ.
93c67782a9fbf39691fa1505f8be22e0.jpg

I also decided i was going to go full chrome mouldings soo i picked all the necessary pieces and ordered a front euro moulding for the bumper and also picked up a 4motion valance that later would be smoothed and color matched.

Winter was right around the corner...and I found a set of wheels I wanted in Quebec city and another buyer in the same area for my BBS..soo drove down there to sell/buy the new wheels...while im there i findout someone is parting out a mk4 GLI soo i pickup the full black interior/headliner swap for my jetta(dirt cheap!!)..altho the headliner and pillar werent in good shape...atleast i had all the black pieces and clips/lights/sunvisors/seatbelts...i actually sold the headliner to a MR member later that same week.

Putting the wagon to good use..hauling back the full interior and new wheels.
dc76d3f33fdd7fdd38988e1272c77017.jpg

More to come ;)

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Soo let me make another update..

After having all my parts i sent the car back to my bodyshop (BodyCo.). He had to do some work on the fenders since the previous shave work was done a long time ago and had some defects. He also had to modify the front bumper to.match to the fenders..came out to my liking :)
1 week later car was ready.
0395af304355f3c8cd1f78647bec565a.jpg

498d8fedc077340f6a9885e4bf75b924.jpg

(Didnt have the front chrome piece at the time..i found one now, yet to be installed)

I started working on my new wheels aswell..took them appart, cleaned the barrel, sent the faces to be powdercoated at a shop in st-hyacinthe and my lips polished at "Polisson Custom Parts" same guy that did my bbs last year. (Wheel pics/build will be posted when they are complete).

I gave my sectionned subframe to a friend that still worked at my old job in the Train shop...he sanblasted it and gave it a coat of new gloss black paint(same paint we use to paint the truck assemblies on the Locomotives).
Picked it up this weekend, looks brand new 😊
e6d0c6ef9ff5184ff389bce65725da30.jpg

I also ordered new door handles that come on another model in europe(i think w8 passat..not sure) they have an inbeded chrome strip in the middle on the handle that would match with the mouldings i had put on.
I received my P1 mirrors last friday soo i sent the mirror caps and handles to get painted aswell.

Back in november was also able to score OEM VW lexan headlight covers from a friend of mine in Toronto..got a very good deal and picked them up while i was there..
Reference pic(havent even unwrapped them yet haha)
f8db535eb675b01412fc392d24f7655a.jpg

I am also working on getting a very nice set of retrofits from a buddy and working out a deal on Hella Magic White tails from germany. (My GLIs will be for sale very soon if anyone is interested )

Not much else going on for now..

Alright, ive been updating what ive been doing on my car lately on the VW section quite a bit..so thought id update this thread to keep it up to date.

First thing on the list was to pull my beam out and give it a much needed refresh after its 420k+ kms of life.

I started off by removing the old bushings and putting in new Cupra R beam bushings, these are stiffer than stock and last longer than the Polyurethane option. Also since I have a early MK4 i had the easy to remove rubber bushings, took about 10/15 mins to get both out and about 10/15 mins to get each bushing back in.

old bushing out (drilled out the rubber and punched out the plastic race)
21cz8uq.jpg

pressing new bushing in using a heavy duty clamp and various shims/sockets/etc
1ymwic.jpg

cleaned up beam with the new bushings
dfakd1.jpg

At this point I was ready to put the beam back in..but I find out my friend has a set of ECS Centering Plates that he used to have on his old car. Centering plates fix the weird look you get when you significantly lower a MK4 or any other VW that doesn't have independent rear suspension, the wheel sinks into the front part of the rear wheel arch...personally I don't mind the look..but for the price he offered me these I couldn't pass it up. I picked them up and followed the instructions on the ECS website for the install...Which lead me to break the first bolt head when i was torquing them down to spec. I took the plate back off and removed the other half of the Allen bolt to realize that its just badly designed Chinese hardware..I got new good quality Holo-chrome bolts and grinded the heads down for them to sit flush.
reference pic Left to right: Chinese shit, replacements, replacements after being ground
vi1t9d.jpg

Centering plates installed
2vx13zn.jpg

I installed the new brake lines I got from VW as well since the original ones on the beam weren't looking great after 17years of use. I also took the time to repaint the calipers and clean the shocks while it was all out..
8x8wed.jpg

Rear end is done for now..I added 2degrees of camber in the rear to help with my fitment with the new wheels. I also ordered some shims to correct the Toe you get when lowering the rear so Ill be adding those later on.

The wheels

So now moving onto the New wheels...

Back in December I found someone that wanted my BBS in Quebec City...The new wheels I wanted were 30mins away aswell so I organised to meet both people the same day and drove down...

The wheels were a set of OZ Pegasus 3 piece 17 inch. They were 17x10 and 10.5 but the guy was also giving me a 1 inch lip so I could make them 17x10 and 17x9...The issue here is that all the offsets he had given me weren't correct...I made it work tho. I also got into an argument because I ended up waiting at hes house because he was not home and hes Girlfriend didn't know were the center caps were...Me and my buddy ended up waiting for a good 1.5hours before he showed up..the center caps were all dented up and in terrible shape..not to mention the wheels were far from being like in the picture he sent me and had big runs from his repainting them..(later found out that picture was about 1 year old...figures.. I still really wanted them and they were well priced so as soon as I got back home I started taking them appart.

add picture:
t9w0w3.jpg

I picked up a set of 20mm adapters for cheap soo I could atleast test fit them and figure out what the final size of adapters Id need.

the front 17x10mm wheels mounted in the back (fronts already had a 225/45 tire on them..sold those):
ofq0kk.jpg

put the 17x10.5 on for the heck of it hahahhahah
nqpilc.jpg

Thankfully these OZ wheels came with a "factory spacer".
n1ff9h.jpg

These wheels were built back in 1993(still all had the cool sticker on the inside of the barrels)..apparently back then OZ would add factory spacers on their wheels, it was a "thing" and apparently BBS and other manufacturer did this, but it never caught on. Some say its to play around with the offsets but that doesn't make much sense since they were all 10mm...
Anyways my first order of business was to remove the factory spacers from all 4 wheels and send the centers to Powder-coat...all the Allen bolts holding those in were rusty and stripped so I had to extract them all out. i was planning on putting back the front spacers but the rear wheels would not have them(help me with the fitment)
30n94c1.jpg

done:
d6vpu.jpg

All I can say is that the centers on these wheels are HEAVY AS F*CK!

I sent the Centers to get Powder-coated and the lips to get Polished...the smaller lips were really rough and had some pitting since they were the original ones that came on the wheels from factory over 25 yrs ago.
I also calculated the adapter size id need for these and ordered the set from Ledger-design in Rimouski. Adapters came in a few days after i got the wheels put back together and tires mounted.

23wwwef.jpg

a0fjis.jpg

My last issue was the center cap...these are basically a flat piece of sheet metal that has the OZ logo painted on it and held with a hidden retainer clip...it was all dented from someone not knowing how to remove it so my buddy got it flattened back out at a Machine shop for me.

I ordered new decals and it was perfect.
before:
11l0ykw.jpg

After:
16m3whg.jpg

finished result:
2d7g3fo.jpg

aokdap.jpg

2ljnhv7.jpg

Now moving onto the mirrors,

as i mentioned a few months back I found a set of Brand new Projektzwo P1 mirrors for my car..I've always loved these and they will also match with my grille that comes from the same kit.

I got them painted and started assembling them using the parts of my original mirrors.

back from paint with the new door handles:
24l33h5.jpg

Mirror servos installed:
or01uh.jpg

Bases mounted:
1zeyxk2.jpg

assembling the glass(this was scary..no going back)
I didnt bother connecting the glass heater wire since I want to avoid burning the glass and I dont really need them anyways..)
711ze1.jpg

2dgizau.jpg

Connectors soldered back:
2hgyfdl.jpg

end result:
9lhgqt.jpg

this one has the front chrome handle installed on aswell
f0t9j9.jpg

I also picked up a set of sought after HELLA magic taillights in White and a set of replica Bora projector Headlights... I think the clear/white/Chrome all goes together very well.
14ik4xy.jpg

Crazy high offset on the front ones!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
On the car you mean? The front and rear center and barrels are the same..its just that my fenders it the front are wider than stock. I will eventually put bigger lips on the front I think..i just played with what I had. I will also lower the car some more..more work still needs to be done and I will update when I have more pictures..

Last edited:
On the car you mean? The front and rear center and barrels are the same..its just that my fenders it the front are wider than stock. I will eventually put bigger lips on the front I think..i just payed with what I had. I will also lower the car some more..more work still needs to be done and I will update when I have more pictures..

No I meant on the wheel itself, the face of the wheel almost look flush with the lip In the pictures

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Time for another update since quite a bit has happened..

Soo I decided to do the front end work at this point, time to put all the parts that were laying around in my garage for the whole winter onto the car.

Started off by installing the sectionned subframe In along with my engine spacers. I also got my hands on audi TT/R32 front spindles and control arms(got all new parts for them and repainted them before installing.
20170418_163136.jpg
20170502_134330.jpg20170502_182715.jpg20170503_153252.jpg

Basically I did all this to correct the suspension from beeing substantially lowered. The sectionned subframe and engine spacers raise everything 1inch higher and give the control arms a better angle and the TT suspension parts allow me to run flipped tierods due to their factory design. The control arms also have more adjustement for camber on the balljoint.
Next I installed my Polo strut mounts and EuroImage Billet half cups..this basically lowers the car another 3/4 inch since the bushing is shorter.

Last edited:
At this point when you install your engine spacer you cannot run the powersteering reservoir at the stock location since the mounting holes are no longer usable, so I relocated mine to under the frame rail by making some custom brackets with some aluminium flatbar and using factory studs on the frame to mount it.
Optimized-20170424_164937.jpg20170424_194452.jpg

Next I got myself a set of 16k 5inch Swift Springs and a Pair of Rear Koni yellow sport struts.. Installed it all an firmed up the rear suspension...the rear is still a little too stiff on bumps soo I may adust the stiffness down a little more on the Konis.
Optimized-20170524_155834.jpg
FK vs Swifts
20170519_200942.jpg

How it sits now, right at 22.75FTG on 45 sidewall 17s..much better:
Optimized-20170521_174607.jpg

At this point the car is almost done for this year...i just need to install my GLI black headliner conversion.
Last thrusday I got a huge exhaust leak to find out 2 out of 3 of my turbo studs for the downpipe broke...had to remove the Turbo and drill out the old studs and put in the new ones along with new gaskets and all...car is running fine now but I still have my boost issue and Im running out of options!! I just put in a brand new Map sensor with no results either...time to look inti the vaccum system for leaks I guess...🤔😭😭😭.

In the past couple weeks I got accepted to the show and shine to all 3 shows I applied to. I really wasnt expecting much since I built the car for myself, but it is definatly rewarding to get accepted.

20eefe51fd11d7b08f2fa8a19140d07a.jpg
71f8ffb08bd56b63b601baf5cc743d10.jpg
6fceaa8ee74bb57a2f64aa33c8a89b6c.jpg

Also here are some pics from this weekend at a couple meets I went to

9fbb2f9b1b4365b5db154bf51bc39af2.jpg
9dfe887517f46bec1c934e2a60036c08.jpg

it look gorgeous!

the only thing I'm really not sure about is the taillight but that's only my opinion. I would prefer a redout look or something in this style.

But still, awesome work man and gorgeous car!

Le tient est la perfection même d'un MK4. Il semble showroom et j'adore le style avec les lumières sa fais différent des autres. Bonne chance a l'eurokracy! et au deux autres show ahah

Miss my MK4's so bad......they will forever be my favorite

Back