Buying a car in europe for a eurotrip

Lexus

I've been toying with this idea for a couple of weeks now and we might do a family eurotrip this summer for 2-3 months.

I quickly checked rental car prices and it's way too expensive (especially given it would need to be an automatic wagon/MPV) so I'm wondering if anyone has done this here: fly to Germany (or other EU country), buy a car, drive it around and resell it before leaving? If yes, how does it work given I am not an EU resident (I do have an EU passport though).

I'll be honest with u i always like the idea of having a car in europe untill i went. You do not need a car in europe, all big cities have amazing subways. Between a country to another u can take low fare planes or the train which is very cheap. Gas was like almost 2 euro a litre which is ridiculous specially with our dollar right now

I'll be honest with u i always like the idea of having a car in europe untill i went. You do not need a car in europe, all big cities have amazing subways. Between a country to another u can take low fare planes or the train which is very cheap. Gas was like almost 2 euro a litre which is ridiculous specially with our dollar right now

I'm ready to bet you didn't fo with 2 children and a wife. taking the train or plane every time will get expensive real quick

Good luck doing that, you better go on a forum from Europe and ask them how to do it. But pretty sure it changes from country to country and it would be very hard to do.

Pretty sure it would be easier to just rent.

Let say you buy a car, you can't buy something cheap because you don't want it to brake on you right ? Let's say you get a Dacia Duster (lel) for 7.5k Euros, you get insurance you drive it for 3 months and decide to sell it, what if it doesn't sell ? Let's say someone comes and sees the car and offers you 5.5k, are you ready to lose 2k ?

If you have family in Romania, I would suggest talking with someone there, maybe they can pass you a car for for 2-3 months, or just rent a car in Romania, we went a couple of times and we rented a car for 1 week we ranted a Daewoo for like 100 Euros for 4 days from a cousin that knew a guy that knew a guy. The rest of the time my grandmother passed us her 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi with 20k km, she barely drives it so she had no problem passing it to us for a good 2 weeks.

Anyways keep us posted, I am interested to see if it's possible to buy a car in Europe for a 2-3 months

Sorry, I forgot to mention. Family eurotrip for 2-3 months means 2 adults + 2 little kids and a lot of luggage. Public transport+trains and airplanes are just not an option.

You can try to see if any individual is willing to rent his car for 2-3 months if you provide the right insurance. Ouicar offers up to 1 month rental, it's about 300-350/month insurance included from what I see, so maybe it's cheaper than typical rental companies.
http://www.ouicar.fr/

Otherwise, buy a cool 15 year old car and ship it to Canada :D
you could also buy a brand new Volvo and they will pay you two plane tickets.

I went to Europe and I hate taking trains, or any public transit.

We went to Paris landed at CDG we had an 9h layover so we decided to visit Paris. We took the bus to Paris, from there we only used Trains/buses. Let me tell you that when you have no clue what goes where and how their system works, it's very very hard to get around. And it was in French so way easier to ask people. Would never use public transit in Europe.

Went to Switzerland and rented a car, SO, MUCH. BETTER. then public transit, When you visit a country the last thing you want to do is sit in a bus in rush time...

Good luck doing that, you better go on a forum from Europe and ask them how to do it. But pretty sure it changes from country to country and it would be very hard to do.

Pretty sure it would be easier to just rent.

Let say you buy a car, you can't buy something cheap because you don't want it to brake on you right ? Let's say you get a Dacia Duster (lel) for 7.5k Euros, you get insurance you drive it for 3 months and decide to sell it, what if it doesn't sell ? Let's say someone comes and sees the car and offers you 5.5k, are you ready to lose 2k ?

If you have family in Romania, I would suggest talking with someone there, maybe they can pass you a car for for 2-3 months, or just rent a car in Romania, we went a couple of times and we rented a car for 1 week we ranted a Daewoo for like 100 Euros for 4 days from a cousin that knew a guy that knew a guy. The rest of the time my grandmother passed us her 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi with 20k km, she barely drives it so she had no problem passing it to us for a good 2 weeks.

Anyways keep us posted, I am interested to see if it's possible to buy a car in Europe for a 2-3 months

For the selling part I'm not THAT worried, mainly because I'd take the car to Romania and leave it for my dad to sell it there after we leave. I was planning on something fairly cheap on which I wouldn't lose much in depreciation. I know it's a little more risky for repairs but...it is what it is. Found decent prices in Germany for something like a Renault Scenic, Opel Zafira, Peugeot 306 wagon, Laguna & Megane wagon. Even found older Benz and Bmw but they're probably problematic in he 1-2K euros range.

My main concern is, can I legally purchase a car in Europe without being a resident and drive it across the EU with those plates (or maybe I get temp plates from the seller??!!) or do I absolutely have to be a resident.

You can try to see if any individual is willing to rent his car for 2-3 months if you provide the right insurance. Ouicar offers up to 1 month rental, it's about 300-350/month insurance included from what I see, so maybe it's cheaper than typical rental companies.
http://www.ouicar.fr/

Otherwise, buy a cool 15 year old car and ship it to Canada :D
you could also buy a brand new Volvo and they will pay you two plane tickets.

I'll check ouicar, at 350/month it could be an option but it can't be some Toyota Aygo lol.

Getting a new V60 and doing this would be a dream but I'm not part of the MR 100K/year ballers club :D.

The 15yo car idea is interesting...I'll look into it....maybe something like an AMG benz? But then again, at 2$+/liter of gas, it's gonna ruin me in fuel costs lol. E36 wagon? Alfa Romeo 156? Found a couple of very cheap ones and I adore that car.

Ninja edit:

Checked ouicar, interesting concept, it's basically airbnb for cars in France but it's a month only and it's 500-1800 euros. Some people ask 500-700 for Smarts and Aygos, no thanks.

I'll check ouicar, at 350/month it could be an option but it can't be some Toyota Aygo lol.

Getting a new V60 and doing this would be a dream but I'm not part of the MR 100K/year ballers club :D.

The 15yo car idea is interesting...I'll look into it....maybe something like an AMG benz? But then again, at 2$+/liter of gas, it's gonna ruin me in fuel costs lol. E36 wagon? Alfa Romeo 156? Found a couple of very cheap ones and I adore that car.

Ninja edit:

Checked ouicar, interesting concept, it's basically airbnb for cars in France but it's a month only and it's 500-1800 euros. Some people ask 500-700 for Smarts and Aygos, no thanks.

there is an E36 wagon diesel in europe, it might be a cool option

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-325tds-e36-touring-msport-manual-£1300-ono/1151936778

back in the days, like 7 or 8 years ago. My friends went in europe and took a buyback thing at a car dealership

they were the first driver of the car. paid not that much and brought back the car to the dealer after their vacation. I was basicly a brand new car.

I wonder if it's still available today

I've been toying with this idea for a couple of weeks now and we might do a family eurotrip this summer for 2-3 months.

I quickly checked rental car prices and it's way too expensive (especially given it would need to be an automatic wagon/MPV) so I'm wondering if anyone has done this here: fly to Germany (or other EU country), buy a car, drive it around and resell it before leaving? If yes, how does it work given I am not an EU resident (I do have an EU passport though).
There are companies specialized in long term euro rentals.

It's called In french "achat-rachat"

http://www.lapresse.ca/voyage/desti...-947851-voitures-location-ou-achat-rachat.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

We went to Paris landed at CDG we had an 9h layover so we decided to visit Paris. We took the bus to Paris, from there we only used Trains/buses. Let me tell you that when you have no clue what goes where and how their system works, it's very very hard to get around. And it was in French so way easier to ask people. Would never use public transit in Europe.

Went to Switzerland and rented a car, SO, MUCH. BETTER. then public transit, When you visit a country the last thing you want to do is sit in a bus in rush time...

Jeez just inform yourself, it doesn't take a fucking genius to figure out how public transit works even when you don't speak the language.

I visited 4 countries by public transit. Super easy, relax and dirt cheap. I also used blablacar, really nice too

Je voulais le faire cette annee justement, un eurotrip avec une voiture que je ramenerais au Canada ensuite. Je me souviens plus exactement des details, mais c'est possible d'acheter et d'assurer une voiture meme si on a pas d'adresse dans l'UE.

Sinon, sur St-Denis y a un building avec un logo de Citroen dessus, c'est la division "location" de Citroen, destinee aux touristes qui veulent avoir une auto en Europe. Tu loues directement du manufacturier.

get an e34 M5, drive it for 3 months, pay whatever you have to fix on it, import it here when you are done, sell it and still end up making money on it.

heard about achat-rachat before, will check it out.

Ok, checked this out, it's very expensive. Starts at around 1400 CDN for 17 days for a compact. I'm sure the price per day decreases the more you rent but still for 3 months it will be quite a lot.

Back