Thoughts on Audi a4 b7

sotam123

Ok as the title says im looking for personnal reviews from people who have owned a audi B7 2.0t a4.

I will be in the market soon for a new daily for work and im looking into getting a 2006-2008 audi a4 Avant with a s-line package(projectors are a must)
Looking for something with 150000kms on it or less soo it would not be a high mileage car(these seem to go around 7.5 to 9k)

I did a bit of research on the model and seems to be a fairly solid car and engine besides the common cam follower issues that need to be checked.
Ive also heard that oil pump is something to watch when you get into higher mileage (200k and up).
Obviously also check when the timing belt was last done too.

My main concerns would be the following;

-how is the automatic transmission(manuals wagons are rare soo ill probably end up with an auto.)
-Turbo issues?
-oil consumption issues?

If there are any other issues worth mentioning or to look for when going to see the car that would be good aswell.

thanks!

google picture of the said model:
2ujkxuw.jpg

Solid car, reliable, but the engine....

- cam follower wear, bring to cam wear, may bring to a engine faillure. ( make sure the maintenance is done, inspect cam and cam-follower)
- this engine has a timing belt (maintenace)
- cam chain tensioner seems to fail ( related with oil pressure issues)
- thermostat will fail one day( not big deal, normaly open)
- windows regulator will fail one day.
- n80 valve appear to fail ( not a big deal)
- coil pack appear to fail ( not a big deal)
- oil pump and shaft balancer may fail (rare) oil pump mesh might need to be clean at least once in the lifetime
- carbon built up ( this is kind of normal for turbo engine)
- pvc valve appear to fail
- cover valve gasket appear to fail ( cause #1 of oil consuption
- piston ring seems fragile (might be 1 cause of oil cosumption)
- diverter valve , rubber membrane will fail ( not big deal, =boost lost )

- Never heard major issues on the turbo, k03 seems strong
-I do read time to time issues with automatic transmission. Manual for the win.
-Avant are rare manual, but not that rare. I saw 5-6 in two years.
- engine revision in 2008, I think there's 3 2.0t engine type through 2005.5 to 2008.
- all 2008 s-line are real sline ( Axis to confirm)
- I don't think Avant a4 got the base s-line, I think is always full s-line ( Axis to confirm)
- Do not buy non s-line, because look .

General Cons :
- lack of power, this car feel sooo slow.
- performance upgrade won't provide huge power upgrade for low prices
- engine realibility
- 2.0t engine sound VS the 3.2

Pros:
- well done.
- quattro amazing
- engine not that bad with maintenance, easy to work, relatively low cost to repair this engine.
- lot of a4 on the road : after market part + performance parts.
- no rattle even with high mileage.
- comfort
- good rust resistance
- easy to work
- police won't look at it
- great driving

Ask Axis, he's the king in the B7 world.

Last edited:
Early A4's with BPG engines (2005.5-2006) had the crown pistons which are forged, rarely consume oil but dont have the revised intake camshaft*.
Early 2007 have cast pistons and dont have the revised intake camshaft*.
Late 2007-2008's have cast pistons and the revised camshaft. (Dont have the extended warrantee because they have the revised camshaft)

*If it wasnt changed by the dealer.

Oil pumps balancing shafts tend to seize on these engines starving the engine and destroying it. There's a revised pick up tube you can install to avoid destroying your engine in case it would clog. (06F115251B)

Tensionner on the cam chain usually need to be replaced around 150-200kkm. (You change the chain while you're there)

All 2008 had the Sline appearance. To be sure if its a true Sline you need a 3 spoke steering wheel and brushed aluminium trims (Not fishscale) 5 spoke 18" wheels, ect The picture you posted is a perfect example, its a 2008 with the Sline body package, base 17" split spokes, no sport suspension = Obvious non-Sline.

Cam follower needs to be checked pretty often.

- carbon built up ( this is kind of normal for turbo engine)

Ask Axis, he's the king in the B7 world.

Carbon build up is normal for direct injection engines :p

And lol, I know them a bit but not that much :)

For auto tranny, change oil, filter and flush. No such thing as unserviceable transmission. Heat kills ANY automatic. So if oil levels go down and the do, you'll kill the tranny. You can service it pretty easily.

Worse case scenario, swap manual! *tu*

For auto tranny, change oil, filter and flush. No such thing as unserviceable transmission. Heat kills ANY automatic. So if oil levels go down and the do, you'll kill the tranny. You can service it pretty easily.

Worse case scenario, swap manual! *tu*

They have a weak torque converter, common issue on A4's. A manual swap is so expensive that you're better off finding a car with the man pedal to begin with. Plus, these are the last gen to have a third pedal in Avant form, resale value is good.

Thanks for the tips guys! yes i know the biggest part would be getting one with good service records. the imagine was the only one i could find on google that wanst modded lol. and im leaning into getting the later 2007-2008 models since as mentionned they are a little mode updated. As for the transmission i will always take the manual over the auto..i guess ill just be patient and wait all summer untill i find the proper one.. i considered the 3.2 but as i mentionned this is for work and dont plan on doing any mods on it. Also the 2.0t will have much better mpgs.

everyone mentions to check the cam follower..but when going to look at the car i guess is should just ask if its ever been checked and by who?.

once again thanks!

Also just wondering if anyone would have any other equivalent models in the same price range or cheaper and not more than 10yrs old. i think this is my best option quality/price wise..
looking for a awd preferably wagon, 4cyl engine preferably that isnt too boring to drive... maybe there is something else ive missed...

Thanks for the tips guys! yes i know the biggest part would be getting one with good service records. the imagine was the only one i could find on google that wanst modded lol. and im leaning into getting the later 2007-2008 models since as mentionned they are a little mode updated. As for the transmission i will always take the manual over the auto..i guess ill just be patient and wait all summer untill i find the proper one.. i considered the 3.2 but as i mentionned this is for work and dont plan on doing any mods on it. Also the 2.0t will have much better mpgs.

everyone mentions to check the cam follower..but when going to look at the car i guess is should just ask if its ever been checked and by who?.

once again thanks!

I won't be to worried with modded one.

For this simple reason :those car are not jap car. You don't do your PREVENTIVE maintenance, this car will let you down.
Most of people will do only the minimum, this is bad for those cars. 2008 model get their maintenance call at 12000km, wayyy to long.

People who take care of those cars, love them, will do the preventive maintenance.

In my case the guy was an ex modder, but my a4 was 100% stock. He made the preventive maintenance, so the car was 100% ok.
I put many mods, but my maintenance is more than predictive, I take care of this car almost like a son.

I won't be to worried with modded one.

For this simple reason :those car are not jap car. You don't do your PREVENTIVE maintenance, this car will let you down.
Most of people will do only the minimum, this is bad for those cars. 2008 model get their maintenance call at 12000km, wayyy to long.

People who take care of those cars, love them, will do the preventive maintenance.

In my case the guy was an ex modder, but my a4 was 100% stock. He made the preventive maintenance, so the car was 100% ok.
I put many mods, but my maintenance is more than predictive, I take care of this car almost like a son.

yea that were most people go wrong with these cars...thats the key part to keep your car problem free..

i was just saying that i dont plan on modding it because its my daily/work car and going to see clients and whatnot...i have my mk4 to mess around with for that..Just wanted to get a general idea on this model...i really like the following generation but they are out of my price range..

la photo de overdosed résume pas mal

Hahahahha sa oui..jai bien remarqué LOL

yea that were most people go wrong with these cars...thats the key part to keep your car problem free..

i was just saying that i dont plan on modding it because its my daily/work car and going to see clients and whatnot...i have my mk4 to mess around with for that..Just wanted to get a general idea on this model...i really like the following generation but they are out of my price range..

Hahahahha sa oui..jai bien remarqué LOL

you might consider the bmw 328 wagon also.

J'ai une A4 wagon 2007 2.0T manuelle rendue à 156000km.

Si tu fais bien la maintenance préventive, ce sont d'excellentes voitures. Seul point négatif, la mienne consomme un peu d'huile contrairement à mes 2 autres véhiculed 2.0T que j'ai eu (Jetta 2006 2.0T et GTI 2008). Sinon rien à dire contre la fiabilité.

Tu peux me faire une offre si tu veux :)

11707853_10153139126701109_4087439518240736912_o.jpg

IMG_20140711_140508.jpg

you might consider the bmw 328 wagon also.

yeah ive looked into in but seems kinda boring for a 6cyl...rather spend the money on the a4. plus ill get better resale outta the audi imo..

anyways thanks for all the tips guys!

I better like the A4 look

yeah definatly..i find the bmw seems on the smaller side too...plus finding used parts for whatever reason should be easier. dont think im willing to get a 6cyl either, but ill still look into it.

Phil at Hillauto has a b7 wagon..i was there a few weeks ago and he is putting a tdi engine in it...NOW THATS WHAT I WOULD NEED!!!!! Lol he made me soo jealous

Back