Inspection problem?

Skarpyona

So in september I bought a 96 cherokee 2 door 5 speed from Ontario. I went to Deschamps GM for the inspection where they informed me I had no airbag light and that my daytime running lights don't work. DRLs aren't a big deal but the airbag light, is, as its mandatory and it won't pass inspection without it. Problem is the XJ didn't get them until 97 with the redesign.

What can I do? Tony transfer can't help since it's from Ontario, and the guy didnt seem open to the idea of being greased. Any help would be appreciated, tired of seeing the poor thing just waste away.

See if you can get a 96 owners manual and prove to them there is no light if they insist try another inspection place.
Worst case maybe get a 97+ cluster and wire in a "light" that will turn on only in ACC

I found the factory service manual online which explains why, but the mechanic was a real ball buster and I'd go as far as saying he'd question the documents validity, especially with it written in english.

Wiring a light would be an idea. I'm not ideal in my electrical work but I can get things to work. Wouldnt the light be easy to spot? With a typical vehicle( or my other jeep to say the least) the airbag light stays on a few seconds after start up and turns off after.

I'd find another inspection center if I were you.. In all my cars the SRS light is off as soon as you start the car. I think that might be the best solution for you if to grab a later model cluster and wire something in from behind. Turn key to ACC light is on, car running it's off. Sadly most of these guys working at dealers and such just do it for a job, they don't actually like cars.

Go at PK auto near cegep Bois-de-Boulogne. They inspected my car last summer and are really understanding. I am sure that if you show them the service manual explaining your problem they will let you pass but you'll need to fix your drls before going there

I'd find another inspection center if I were you.. In all my cars the SRS light is off as soon as you start the car. I think that might be the best solution for you if to grab a later model cluster and wire something in from behind. Turn key to ACC light is on, car running it's off. Sadly most of these guys working at dealers and such just do it for a job, they don't actually like cars.
Right. The way the jeeps ignition is made wouldn't allow that to work I think. The order you hit goes as follows:

-starter
-on
-off(default when you put they key in and out)
-acc.

I hope you get the gist of my half assed diagram. And its a shame they don't care for cars. I know my vehicle is safe to drive on the roads but because bureaucracy Shes been sitting since september.

Go at PK auto near cegep Bois-de-Boulogne. They inspected my car last summer and are really understanding. I am sure that if you show them the service manual explaining your problem they will let you pass but you'll need to fix your drls before going there

Thank you I'll keep that in mind. I am not worried about drls, just waiting for some nice weather to pull the module and test it. Worst case I'll wire in my own.

Does the cute girl still work the counter?

Right. The way the jeeps ignition is made wouldn't allow that to work I think. The order you hit goes as follows:

-starter
-on
-off(default when you put they key in and out)
-acc.

I hope you get the gist of my half assed diagram. And its a shame they don't care for cars. I know my vehicle is safe to drive on the roads but because bureaucracy Shes been sitting since september.

Thank you I'll keep that in mind. I am not worried about drls, just waiting for some nice weather to pull the module and test it. Worst case I'll wire in my own.

Ahh forgot that. So wire it up with something that lights up when ignition "on" but turns off when started.

Je vois pas pourquoi t'aurais besoin de modifier quoi que ce soit si t'as un 96 et que c'était pas disponible en 96 :dunno: Il est conforme.

this!!

va chez chrysler et demande leur de te signer une feuille en bonne et du forme comme quoi que en 1996 ce n'etait pas sur ton modele!!

my 2 cents

Je vois pas pourquoi t'aurais besoin de modifier quoi que ce soit si t'as un 96 et que c'était pas disponible en 96 :dunno: Il est conforme.

this!!

va chez chrysler et demande leur de t
e signer une feuillce en bonne et du forme comme quoi que en 1996 ce n'etait pas sur ton modele!!

my 2 cents

Il exige ce modification la car cest devenu standard a partir de 91 ou 89, je me souvien plus. Pensez vous tous les dealers ferais ca? J'habite juse a côter d'un grand concessionaire.

En 1991 c'était juste les modèles grand luxe qui avaient des airbags d'origine. Les econobox c'est autour de 1995 qu'ils en ont eu.

BTW je viens d'aller voir moi-même le FSM du GC 1996 et tu es supposé avoir une ampoule dans le cluster pour les airbags en 1996. Soit elle est brûlée soit le système à été désactivé si elle allume pas, genre fuse brûlée ou un relais qui fonctionne pas.

Last edited:
En 1991 c'était juste les modèles grand luxe qui avaient des airbags d'origine. Les econobox c'est autour de 1995 qu'ils en ont eu.

BTW je viens d'aller voir moi-même le FSM du GC 1996 et tu es supposé avoir une ampoule dans le cluster pour les airbags en 1996. Soit elle est brûlée soit le système à été désactivé si elle allume pas, genre fuse brûlée ou un relais qui fonctionne pas.

Diablo, it's a Cherokee not a grand.

Il exige ce modification la car cest devenu standard a partir de 91 ou 89, je me souvien plus. Pensez vous tous les dealers ferais ca? J'habite juse a côter d'un grand concessionaire.

91 ou 89 pour quoi? Airbag dans tous les chars au Canada? Bullshit. On est pas aux USA ici... Sur les Cherokee? Check, si ton truck en avait pas un étant neuf, t'en a pas besoin. si le tata à l'inspection est trop cave pour s'en rendre compte, change de place et demande un remboursement.

J'avais un sentra 2 portes 1996 qui avait pas de airbags d'origine....

Anyway je viens de comprendre la. En 1995-1996 les Cherokee avaient juste un airbag dans le volant et non les 2 frontaux comme on est habitué de voir. Dans le FSM ils ne parlent pas d'un indicateur dans le cluster MAIS ils disent qu'il y a aucun moyen de faire quelque diagnostic que ce soit sur le système donc aucun besoin de la fameuse lumière....

Back