What you guys do for motivation?

Ever since my concussion and since I been diagnosed with 'light" PTSD I have been trying to figure out how to make my life more enjoyable, there are times when I feel positive and I have energy and I feel like accomplishing something, but it quickly goes away by the end of the day, and any potential I had feels wasted. I gave up on school and the gym. I gained like 10lbs of fat, lost all my gainz, abs are gone, had a partial tear in my bicep 4 weeks ago from throwing out the trash lol.

But today I decided it's time to change and hit gym again. But how do keep myself constantly motivated and what can I do to keep motivated?

What do you guys do for motivation for hitting the gym?

Personally my motivation is to lose fat i have lost 45lb since September 2015 and im training more then before my goal is to be 200lb im 220 now

Going to the gym in the morning at 5:30am and i run every 2 days at night for maximum 30 minutes

I tried the gym at night after work but i found it really difficult to go to sleep after

I feel more motivated now because a see the results and people tell me i look better then before I feel better too

The first month i only wanted to quit but when the hard work star to show then you will star to be more motivated.

This is of course personal to everyone as your sources of motivation might diverge alot from mine. But I'll take a bite:

1) Surround yourself with people with similar goals/ambitions. Even better if they are overachievers, they will drive you more and encourage you on your journey by being examplary. You might aswell become a source of motvation for them if you start getting results

2) Make a plan and objectives and make it a priority to stick to it. Talk about it with your friends, make it part of your general lingo. This will engage you more to accomplish your objectives if you talk about reaching yhem to others

3) Don't make enormous changes you cant live with. Make small lifestyle changes gradually. Maybe change your diet for a few weeks and stay with it until it becomes second nature. Then add some gym days.. Maybe not 5 days a week but 3 with some physical activity in between.

4) Don't expect immediate results. Give yourself some reasonable time frame and trust the process

5) Do lifestyle changes for your health and long term future self. Not extreme quick fixes that won't be sustainable.

6) Have fun, enjoy trying out different things, become an ambassador of your lifestyle and don't be afraid to bathe in it

@Volkswannabe

Wow! don't know if you got that form the internet, but if you got that from yourself, hat's off to you my friend, you really got it!

That's seminar/conference quality type of advice right here!

@ fightingcars OP First let me say congrats for reaching out, that's already a positive thing! Congrats for wanting to succeed,That's already 2 positives!

Besides what's been previously mentionned, the other things you could do in your situation if you're struggling:
-train early in the day or firts thing in the morning while you're fresh and recovered that way, if anything else happends during the day, you won't get caught in a funk.
-if in the morning or when it's time to go, you don't feel good, make it a priority to go as soon as you feel energetic or positive mentally speaking. If you don't take a short nap and the go!
-another thing you could try that works well for some people is for a few weeks at least, make a habit of going to the gym as often as you can like 6 days a week, you can even aim for 7 days a week(even if usually not advised)...that way if you miss one or two...you'll be going often enough...just don't get too hard on yourself if you miss one.(coul be a 2 edge sword if used incorrectly, as long as match the right mentality to your plan, it will serve its purpose!) Habits are hard to opvercome once they're set...positive ones too, like what we're trying to create here.
-Try keeping training sessions as short as possible, your goal could be to be out of the gym in 30 minutes, even if you feel good one day, get out! you'll remain hungry for more for the following day and you will look forward to it, plus it won't wreak havoc on your energy level. Just plan carefully your periodisation but you can do that for awhile with great results.
-Variety, variety, variety!
-if you can't be in the gym, try to incorporate some kind of physical activity/sport you like or something you've never tried before and do that 1-3 times a week, that will keep your interest up and shake up the mix!
-keep a training log, that doesn't lie and help keep track of progress and assiduity, you can then set some monthly goals to improve on what you've done the previous one.
-For now just forget where you are or where you've been, look at where you wanna be and focus! I understand how hard it is believe me, but negativity doesn't lead anywhere.
-As for the symptoms, even if it may feel like it take forever to go away, read and READ AGAIN, everyday if you need to, make a post it and stick it to your fridge! ''PAIN(SYMPTOMS) IS ONLY TEMPORARY, it WILL GO AWAY!!!''
-focus on your long terms vision and don't lose focus this long term vision whenever you're down...you already know that there are gonna be bad days, so recognize the situation whenever this occurs et just don't let if affect you, look at your progress so far, you're the boss of you!

Believe in yourself and never give up, you owe that to yourself ;)

Happy success!

Last edited:
Have you seen your doctor lately? It's one thing to give motivational advice to someone but the concussion and PTSD issues make you a special case.

Summer is coming.What about doing some bike in the streets or some rollerblade? Or playing hockey/soccer? That won't replace the gym for muscles but it keeps you in shape and makes you lose some weight.It's also more enjoyable than going to the gym (in my opinion anyway).

@pennytime2004

Thanks for the props, it's not a copy pasta, those advice come from my personal experience. Although I can say this, my motivation has not always been stable and it showed on my gains :p but then you have priorities (2 kids..)

For me I don't need motivation. I have found a sport/workout that I absolutely love to do.

There are a lot of sports out there that you can practice on a daily basis that will put you in a very good shape. Once you find something that you love, motivation won't be necessary because it's all you're gonna think about!

I tired playing basketball the other day, it was fun. But I avoided the physical aspect of the game, I avoided driving to net because I am still afraid to get hurt.

Thanks for the advice everyone, especially to volks and penny. I will try my best to hit le gym and make it more of habit

my pleasure man! and keep up posted with your progress , wether it be next week or in a year ok? just give yourself enough time and things will fall into place I'm sure.

Musique, video sur youtube de monde pas sur le stock (plus facile à être motivé quand tu sais quest-ce qui est possible pour toi), les amis sa aide, perso j'en ai pas beaucoup qui s'entraine autant ou proche de moi. Etc.

Moi je suis un rameur...

Bref quand je manque de motivation je regarde les courses transatlantique a la rame... +-45 jours avec des shifts de 2 heures ON 2heures OFF...pendant 45 faxking jours!!

Si son capable, je suis capable de faire mon training

Moi j'aime pas trop le sport et encore moins le gym, mais je me suis mis au squash l'an passé et j'adore ça. Et vu que tu as un partenaire et book d'avance, choker est pas une option.

Seul désavantage cest qu'en faire daily ou improvisé c'est pas trop possible, j'y vais 2x semaine

OP, j'y connais rien mais je te recommande l'écoute des entrevues suivantes. C'est un docteur qui traite les problèmes de PTSD de soldats. Ils parlent aussi du sujet des commotions cérébrales chez les athlètes (sujet que Joe Rogan aborde souvent), des commotion qui amènent des problèmes de PTSD... etk, bonne écoute en poussant de la fonte!

Musique, video sur youtube de monde pas sur le stock (plus facile à être motivé quand tu sais quest-ce qui est possible pour toi), les amis sa aide, perso j'en ai pas beaucoup qui s'entraine autant ou proche de moi. Etc.

Tu vas avoir pas mal plus de results avec ça

JiQrOoy.jpg

Ta photo marche pas mais j'te gage que ça doit être une référence à des stéroïdes comme d'habitude pour essayer de montrer que tu connais ça.

Back