Occasional Track Day and Forged Aluminium Lugs

Orpo

Hi Guys,
I plan on doing a couple of track days this season but I have a concern.
I did a "racing" stud conversion on my BMW 135i with forged aluminium lug nuts.
These aluminium lug nuts seem soft to me and while they seem fine for spirited driving but my concern is the track days.
So, people that have experience with track days and keeping that I may do a Max of 3 all season, are these lugs safe to use?

Thanks

we had aluminum nuts on our previous race car and never had any problem, you just have to be carefull when you put them on so they don't get cross-threaded because they are really soft.

we had aluminum nuts on our previous race car and never had any problem, you just have to be carefull when you put them on so they don't get cross-threaded because they are really soft.

Great to know. Thanks
I'll also bring my torque wrench and make sure they are properly set between sessions.

Great to know. Thanks
I'll also bring my torque wrench and make sure they are properly set between sessions.

torque them at the beginning of the day but don't do it between sessions or you will over torque them when they are hot. We had longer studs so it was additionnal safety

If you re really concern, just buy cheap open steel lugs... Switch them when you track your car... It s about 2$ each... Peace of mind is mandatory when your on track! Me I bought forged steel lug nuts. Mate with arp stud, thats peace of mind...

Its a bit off topic but how do you like your stud conversion? Thinking about doing it on my R32.

i think he was asking Orpo who did a conversion from wheel bolt to stud :)

I so much hate those wheel bolts!

Je trouvais la question bizarre mais qui suis-je pour juger!? :D C est à lui de peser sur le bon piton "reply quote" !

I lost a right front wheel with that sh!t. It did become a tiny bit loose after new paint burnt off (my fault!), but they all ripped right off. Good steel nuts would never have done that.
Why bother? Buy good forged steel long open end nuts and rest assured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ :yikes:

Studs make it easier on your lower back and at night, with the countless wheel changes during a lapping season.
Adding to the lug wear and tear, are the periodic the torque checks during lapping.

(Aluminum lugs wont last for lapping , racers just replace them)

Even then, all studs and lugs to be discarded after a few years.
Haven't we seen enough wheels rolling down the track by themselves! :D

Anyhoo , my first set was 75MM , now at 90MM for spacers.
Better to get the right size first time .

Last edited:
^ :yikes:

Studs make it easier on your lower back and at night, with the countless wheel changes during a lapping season.
Adding to the lug wear and tear, are the periodic the torque checks during lapping.

(Aluminum lugs wont last for lapping , racers just replace them)

Even then, all studs and lugs to be discarded after a few years.
Haven't we seen enough wheels rolling down the track by themselves! :D

Anyhoo , my first set was 75MM , now at 90MM for spacers.
Better to get the right size first time .

You can also weld the back of the stud in place if you fear they might back out even with thread locker.

PS: New wheels, 100grit sandpaper to each lugnut seat on the wheels.

Back