Tint/Exhaust inspection/ticket questions

VroomX2

Hi all,

I have a car with an aftermarket exhaust and dealer tints.

I got an inspection notice for my front window tints, and a ticket for the exhaust.

What are my options? Am I guaranteed to fail my inspection even though the car rolled off the lot like that (tints are not an option I chose/paid for, and at least 3/4 of these things roll off the lot with these tints).

I don't have the OEM exhaust and don't want to pay the 3k stealership price. Do I buy an quieter one, or is there no point?

Not interested in arguing innocence/guilt/how shitty cops are etc, just weighing my options here.

Thanks,

Hi all,

I have a car with an aftermarket exhaust and dealer tints.

I got an inspection notice for my front window tints, and a ticket for the exhaust.

What are my options? Am I guaranteed to fail my inspection even though the car rolled off the lot like that (tints are not an option I chose/paid for, and at least 3/4 of these things roll off the lot with these tints).

Will fail inspection if car exhaust is not legit,witch I bet it is since you got pulled over and ticketed for it. even if you didn't want, you bought them. For the tints, remove them and problem solved.

I don't have the OEM exhaust and don't want to pay the 3k stealership price. Do I buy an quieter one, or is there no point?

Well since you got a ticket with this one and If you want to have peace of mind, I would buy a stock one. Go to a muffler shop or a scrap yard or look online for kidz who are selling their oem one. If you leave it like this, you might be pulled over and sent
back to inspection 3 weeks after the first inspection even if for whatever reason you pass it. They can't know you did pass the inspection with this muffler, you could have put back the oem one for inspection and put back the loud one after it. Depend where you live

Not interested in arguing innocence/guilt/how shitty cops are etc, just weighing my options here.

Thanks,

see answer

Si ton echapement est complet (catalyseur, resonateur et silencieux ... ou comme oem car je ne connais pas ce modele) ca va passer meme si ca fais du bruit comme un top fuel ... pour tes tints ... enleve les ... passe l'inspection ... retourne en faire installer

thats it

see answer

Thanks. I didn't get sent to inspection for exhaust, just tints. I guess there's no way I can win even though the car had tints like that rolling off the lot?

Si ton echapement est complet (catalyseur, resonateur et silencieux ... ou comme oem car je ne connais pas ce modele) ca va passer meme si ca fais du bruit comme un top fuel ... pour tes tints ... enleve les ... passe l'inspection ... retourne en faire installer

thats it

My exhaust is definitely not OEM but it's not crazy loud. I didn't get sent to inspection for it, can I get it inspected anyway to check legality?

Just remove the tint from 2 front windows and you will be fine. The tint inspection is just that and has nothing to do with your exhaust. Just pay the ticket for that.

Even if you had to go through a mechanical inspection they pass cars with aftermarket exhausts. They look for exhaust leaks when inspecting not noise.

My exhaust is definitely not OEM but it's not crazy loud. I didn't get sent to inspection for it, can I get it inspected anyway to check legality?

ils vont regarder si les composants sont comme OEM donc ... si ton auto avais un catalyseur ... tu dois l'avoir ... s'il avait un resonnateur ... tu dois l'avoir ... pareil pour le silencieux ... mais ce n'est pas obliger d'etre original ... mais les composantes doivent etre la.

Demande le schéma de l'exhaust au dealer...

Please elaborate.

This is my second exhaust ticket. Last time I got one I was informed the noise was the problem and installed a muffler. This time I told him I installed and he just told me "put back oem".

Legally I am hearing that if I have OEM components (which I do), and the system is not broken I am fine. But it's still "too loud and too not oem" to the ticket man.

Meanwhile je pense enlever mes mufflers sur mon maxima lol.

I went 4 years with 0 problems. Now 2x within a year despite me trying to fix it. Both times on a route I take on average 14x a week.

It's an annoying grey area. I want to comply without reinstalling OEM (because it's expensive AF) but I'm not sure if it wouldn't lead to more tickets FFS.

Tu es pas obligé de mettre OEM. Un équivalent aftermarket cheap fait l'affaire tant que tu reste dans le même type de muffler que t'avais d'origine sinon le 3/4 des muffler sur les chars ici seraient illegals.

Meanwhile je pense enlever mes mufflers sur mon maxima lol.

ca fait un son d'enfer.

Quand c'est manuelle, c'est relativement utile, car stock tu ne peux juste pas shifter au son, y pas de son. Tu y vas au feeling ou tu regarde le gauge.

Automatique, au pire le butt dyno ca se faire aller.

Tu es pas obligé de mettre OEM. Un équivalent aftermarket cheap fait l'affaire tant que tu reste dans le même type de muffler que t'avais d'origine sinon le 3/4 des muffler sur les chars ici seraient illegals.

Did that, got ticket again anyway.

There doesn't seem to be an inspection I can get to invalidate the ticket. SAAQ nor cops are giving me a straight answer for what "too loud" is, it exists for motorcycles though. Called a police station and they told me to contest.

if you were just sent to inspection for tint they get it fixed and go pass.. pay your exhasut ticket and thats it.

How can this a$$hole of a cop know if your exhaust is ''too loud'' without using a sound level metre? I say :squintfin to that cop for no valid reason. As if his ear is calibrated to X decibels! Also for the tints. Did he use a tint meter on your windows? Or did he use his naked eye? All this to make $$$ imo.

How can this a$$hole of a cop know if your exhaust is ''too loud'' without using a sound level metre? I say :squintfin to that cop for no valid reason. As if his ear is calibrated to X decibels! Also for the tints. Did he use a tint meter on your windows? Or did he use his naked eye? All this to make $$$ imo.

Yeah. It's kind of stupid.

I concede for the tints. The law exists, it's dumb, but I am no longer a student and don't have the time to fight this.

UPDATE CONCERNING EXHAUST:

after calling 2 police stations and the SAAQ, there is no ACTUAL law that states what "too noisy" is, or that "too noisy" is illegal. The only concrete response I can find is that there can be no leaks, and it has to be properly attached and at least 2 inches away from something flammable/unsafe.

Yet I feel like if I contest I'd lose anyway.

La loi dis que ton exhaust doit pas faire plus de bruit que d'origine aussi. Les nissan sont étouffés raide avec leurs exhaust stock malgré que ton se-R devait avoir un petit grondement d'origine.

Anyway la plupart des police savent même pas faire la différence entre un muffler Bosal et un MagnaFlow, ils pensent que c'est illégal si c'est pas taggé par ton manufacturier.

La loi dis que ton exhaust doit pas faire plus de bruit que d'origine aussi. Les nissan sont étouffés raide avec leurs exhaust stock malgré que ton se-R devait avoir un petit grondement d'origine.

Anyway la plupart des police savent même pas faire la différence entre un muffler Bosal et un MagnaFlow, ils pensent que c'est illégal si c'est pas taggé par ton manufacturier.

That's exactly it. There's also no literature I can find, no article in the CSR that specifies. Just a "if it's louder than original it's 100-200$ fine" in the quick help.

SAAQ: There's no actual defined law on the noise level.
Cops: Well, the cop can't exactly prove that it's non-compliant.

Back