small chirping noise coming driver side wheel at low speed

Xc0m

Legacy Member
I just got my new wheels installed, so it could just be a coincidence...

Anyway, at low speeds, and I can only hear it when my window is down, and a car or wall next to me. At low speeds, i hear a small chirping noise coming from one of my wheels. I don't hear it at higher speeds. It chirps only when the tire seems to be doing a full rotation.

I've only noticed this in the last 2 days, and put on new wheels 4 days ago, not sure if it could be related.

Any idea what it could be? The car only has 38,000km on it.

Rock or other (bolts nails), rock stuck between pads/rotors. Wheels not bolted correctly or not align with the hub.
Take wheel off, inspect, re-install properly. If problem persist the it's mechanic.

Maybe due for new brake pads... if carbon brakes, probably a small rock or something stuck between dust cover and disk or between calliper and disc....

I actually have the same issue!

I dont think that the Disk and pad are worn out (less than 30k), and it "squeal" only under 20km/h.

Will remove the caliper, see if there's something stuck in between.

Last edited:
I actually have the same issue!

I dont think that the Disk and pad are worn out (less than 30k), and it "squeal" only under 20km/h.

Will remove the caliper, see if there's something stuck in between.

did you ever find out what it was?

I haven't been able to narrow it down. But confirmed the back wheel where the sound is coming from isn't rubbing on anything that I could see. Since it's the back wheel, there's lots of space around the brakes and rotors, and testing a slow speed wheel rotation, they weren't touching that part.

It happens during almost the whole rotation, not just per rotation, and only under 30km/h. And it's also intermittent. Goes away, comes back, goes away, comes back. Very annoying.

went to VAG last week, and they took apart the entire wheel assembly (rotor, caliper, hub, etc) and couldn't find anything. They think it could be the sound when brakes have ~15% life left on them. I've never had my brakes squeak like that before so i don't know. It's possible, i suppose.

Weird that the noise started up the same time i got new wheels though. But they did confirm there's no rubbing

Has this happened to anyone else?

You sure there's isn't a birds nest in your wheel fender ?

When you say you have new tires, tire defect ? or a rock, nail stuck in the tire ?

hah, i checked for a bird's nest, just in case. those little sparrows can fit in tight places ;)

nah, actual new wheels and tires. No rocks stuck in the tires, and when the car is jacked, and the wheel rotated it's not rubbing on anything or making any noise.

I believe VAG when they tell me it's probably the brakes, but they weren't 100% sure either, so that leaves me just a bit confused on this whole problem.

hah, i checked for a bird's nest, just in case. those little sparrows can fit in tight places ;)

nah, actual new wheels and tires. No rocks stuck in the tires, and when the car is jacked, and the wheel rotated it's not rubbing on anything or making any noise.

I believe VAG when they tell me it's probably the brakes, but they weren't 100% sure either, so that leaves me just a bit confused on this whole problem.

Change brakes, you're due anyway at 15%

Back