Death in family

CRNKY

My dad passed away this morning and I don't have a clue what to do. He was my step dad since I was 3, can I still take time out of work? Somebody have to help my mother deal with everything, she doesn't drive and lives an hour from (Mtl, me).

This is so fresh I'm still freaking out, so busy trying to find info on what my mom supposed to do that I don't even have time to cry about it. Also unable to contact family, doesn't help that we live in different countries.

Have to find her a place to live that she can afford, they were both retired. I don't have a clue where to start.

Told her to start writing down everything, who's name on which bill, who's CC pays for what.

Does anyone have experience with this? Went to the gov site but they only cover their stuff.

Thanks

First my condolences, it's hard and it won't get any easier in the coming days.

1st thing call work inform them of the situation and that you'll be taking at minimum the rest of week off.
Depending on how quickly you want to proceed with a burial you may or may not want to contact a funeral house if you want to get that ball rolling, they can be very helpful.

You'll want to start collecting all the paper work related to the death and apply for a death certificate sooner rather than later. This takes a bit of time but will be necessary in dealing with his estate and assets.
http://www4.gouv.qc.ca/EN/Portail/C...ces/Pages/demander-certificat-acte-deces.aspx

If you can arrange to have one contact member of the family in the foreign country to spread the necessary information so that you don't get swamped with calls.
Before you start making any decisions in regards to his affairs (debt, assets, estate etc) get a full picture before you act on anything.

So sorry for your loss.
First, find out if he has a will.
Do not notify his bank that he has deceased or they will freeze his account, if he had any funds. If your mother has his debit card, she should make some withdrawals. This way, some bills get paid. But the government has to be notified of his death so he stops receiving his old age pension. Rentes de Quebec gives 2500$ if i remember correctly for funeral stuff. That is what i got for my dad's death in 2008.

Sympathie Dude, l'une des premières chose a faire est de contacter un Salon Funéraire. Ils vont ce charger du transport de l’hôpital a leur emplacement. Ils ce chargerons aussi d'a peut près tout ( annonce dans le journal, ceremonie etc...) sa coûte chère mais c'est trouble free.

Si ton père avait un testament ça va simplifier les choses.

Honnêtement, je débuterais par l'organisation des funérailles, ca va vous enlever un poids énorme et réglera probablement 75% de vos questions sans que vous le sachiez.

Mon père est mort en Août 2012 et je me suis retrouver avec ma soeur a m'occuper de tout ca.

Mes condoléances. J'ai vécu le décès de ma mère en 2010, elle avait 45 ans. Tu vas vivre sur un rush d'adrénaline au courant des prochains jours, un peu comme si tu était vraiment déconnecté de la situation. Prends du temps off pour toi, prends le temps de vraiment réalisé ce qu'il vient d'arriver.... c'est important.

Before calling a funeral home, DO check with your mom if he had pre-arrangement with one... it might already be paid for and should be indicated in his will documents.

Sorry for your loss. Been there last year.

You need to take your 5 days off at work to settle everything up. Are you planning funerals? This should be the first thing to do if it was not already all prepared before he passes away. The hospital will keep him for a few days and he will be moved to the funeral home where he will be prepared for an exposition if it's what he was asking for. Also the death certificate must be made quickly.

Don't worry about the credit cards for now. It does not matter if they are unpaid anymore... first thing would be to write down the inventory of his assets and find all the testamentary documents. You need to know who are the heirs and who is the liquidator of the succession. If he has a lot of assets and you don't know what to do with the succession, you can process the succession through a wealth management service at the bank or with a notary; if you make a mistake, the creditors have more than 2 years to get back to the heirs and claim the debts. There is a lot of stuff to do and not to do when going through a succession that a simple mistake can cost you a lot of money, so don't do everything into a hurry and take the time to do things well. You should also look for a life insurance and confirm who are the beneficiaries if he had one. Feel free to PM me.

Sorry for your loss. Lost my mother in 2010, now my father in 2016. I was/am liquidator/executor in both cases, but they both had a testament/will so it's rather easy to deal with everything, it's just a LOT of time.

But for the 1st week, you should concertrate on funerals, on your mother and yourself, getting some time off and deal with legal matter later.

Anything regarding cards, payments, etc. can be dealt with later on.

Sorry to heard that! Sympathies à toi et aux proches. Been there last year too!

Try to get some helps with everything, or else you will have to run right and left. It is very exhausting mentally and physically.
Take the rest of the week off at least.

First thing first, funeral home, they will help you alot with all the paper (bank, gouv, testament, etc)

Take your time and good luck.

My condolences.... take a moment to process it. I went through the same thing in 2013...

First ask your employer to give you a few days off and most will accommodate you.
If there`s gonna be funeral arrangements, go visit a couple but don`t let emotions get to you... they`ll include stuff like a bouquet of flower for $500+ and when you`re grieving you`re not thinking clearly... It`s maybe not a bad idea to bring a trusty friend or relative. The funeral home usually takes care of the paperwork like death certificate and will notify different governments but you may have to contact others on your own. They`ll explain it.
As for your family affaires, you`ll need to ask your mother about any wills, power of attorney/executors.

I hope this helps a bit

Pretty hard to lose your father who has devoted his life for you. Sometimes I don't understand why it happened.

Back