Sell or Fix?

Harley514

So today my car was leaking fluid from beneath the driver side. The leak is coming from the rubber dust guard of the rack and pinion, and it's leaking the hydraulic power steering fluid. Now I topped it up and it stopped the screeching noise but kept leaking and had to re-top it. Haven't brought it in yet but I'm almost 99% sure that's what's happening.

That being said I'm debating whether or not i should fix the damn thing or sell the car. It's a 2009 Cayenne GTS with a little under 160,000Kms on it, I've been the only owner of it, took meticulous care of it, and i always treated it well. It's paid for and so far hasn't had any major problems. Drives fantastic and i really love the car, i don't mind getting it dirty, i use it as my work car when i need it, i haul my all my recreational vehicles with, drive ppl around even lend them the car if needed (etc etc the whole nine yards). Basically its well taken care of and it runs great and so far haven't really spent a lot on it in terms of repairs, and leasing I'd probably spend as much as whatever it takes me to run this one so why get a new one.

I did the whole breaking system (pads disk etc etc etc) last year so those are good for a long time, and I know parts are nowhere near cheap so now I'm stuck with this decision. My real breaking point is the transmission, when that fucks off then I'm getting rid of the car, but so far that is still in good condition and hasn't had any major hiccups with this being the first thing that actually broke down. Called a few places and a rebuilt part would probably be about 1000, while the dealership will probably run me up 2-3gs. Now I'm almost sure the dealer also gets rebuilds but that's regardless.

Given the situation would you guys suggest I sell the car or fix it?

Thanks, if you have any suggestions or other information I'd greatly appreciate it.

So? You want get rid of it because of a power steering leak or because the transmission is busted? Anyway, wanna ride in a Porsche then pay

Considering how much you paid for it brand new, I would bite the bullet and fix it. Otherwise that's a huge loss for a car that's only 8 years old.

Back