Pimped my Garage - Ribtrax flooring review

MontrealM3

Legacy Member
I have been trying to figure out what to do with my garage (which looked like ass) for a while. It has not had any love since 1983. Holes in the wall, concrete floor chipped everywhere, no paint, previous owner had done electrical work that looks like it was done by a 5 year old, etc. Half the space was unusable collecting garbage with an old work bench taking up at least a quarter of the space. It's roughly 18x18. I wish I had before pictures :(

I decided to do three things;

1) Storage - It has to be clean from a storage perspective, cabinets (nothing can touch the floor anymore)
2) Paint - needs to look nice
3) Flooring - Whatever I did, it had to be recoverable as eventually I might need to dig up the pyrite (so far it hasn't cracked). So no epoxy, etc.

For storage, I went with the Gladiator Garageworks pre-assembled cabinets. I checked out the NewAge stuff from Costco but figured the Gladiator stuff was a little more expensive but had solid quality. The problem is you can't find them locally anywhere.. Lowes Cornwall or in VT so I had to order them. Best pricing/service I got was from sears (about 230$/cabinet of 24x30x12 plus the tracks 100$):

garage_storage_cabinet.jpg

I also wanted a clean look so I bought a vacuum cleaner and put my small compressor up on a shelf.

Next for paint, went with a grey/red theme. Nothing crazy.

Flooring.. here is where I think I found the killer application. Highly recommended, it too me about 2 hours by myself to install everything (final cutting for the edges)... amazing quality, great price.. The company is called SwissTrax and the tile is called RibTrax:

pearlsilver_2[1]_mod.jpg

It cost me roughly 1400$ shipped for 18x18.

Final cost was about 4000$ for everything (almost 800$ on plastering the 439493 holes I had in the garage)...

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

Final steps is to get a bike mounting system for the family. Hesitant about the "garage gator" type ceiling units.. any recommendations?

The problem with your garage flooring for someone like me that washes his cars once a week is that dirt will get trapped in the tiles and will stay there until you take it apart to clean.
It looks good but isn't practical for everyday use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that floor looks fantastic! :bigup: Really like the setup.

The problem with your garage flooring for someone like me that washes his cars once a week is that dirt will get trapped in the tiles and will stay there until you take it apart to clean.

Interesting.. But if it took 2 hours for OP to setup the floor, I think it shouldnt be so bad having to remove everything to clean it once a year...

I mean, it looks WAYYY nicer than bare cement and if you wanna have a nice setup, you have to be willing to put in the work right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wash your car your garage?

looks like a garage where not a wrench is turned!
That's why he pays me to come over, pick up the car , work on it and return said car to his house..

MontrealM3, did you fix the 1ft drop between the garage floor and driveway ?

You clean the floor by running plenty of water and the dirt goes to your drain. You mop the surface so it's always clean and never wet especially in winter with melting snow.

Once a year you remove one row and you pull the whole thing outside to thoroughly clean the slab.

Very easy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP nice choice on ribtrax it's my choice once I'll get there. It's much thicker than racedeck and thus not prone to buckling like racedeck.

WTF premiere foit j'entend ca pour du résidentiel.

Faque l'eau splash sur les murs et armoirs et rangement et c'est pas grave?

Laver sa voiture dehors un beau soir d'été, ca vous dit rien?

Pas besoin de hose à pression pour laver à la mitaine et rincer.

Some responses;

1) Cleaning the flooring is easy, there are small channels under the tiles the allow the water to flow to the drain.. Hose the tiles down and that's it;
2) You are correct, I do not do any mechanical work in this garage as I have professionals like Gregster that will do a better job than I can;
3) Yes I corrected the massive gap and redid the entire driveway (made it 3 cars wide) to make sure it's even with the entrance;
4) I wash my cars outside in the sun, not inside. I use this to dry off the car in about a minute:

ACC_2003-2T.jpg

WTF premiere foit j'entend ca pour du résidentiel.

Faque l'eau splash sur les murs et armoirs et rangement et c'est pas grave?

Laver sa voiture dehors un beau soir d'été, ca vous dit rien?

J'ai jamais lavé mes auto a l'extérieur.... beaucoup mieux dans un garage. Tu peux prendre ton temps et tu peux la ciré sans avoir la poussière de l'extérieur qui colle après 1heure.
Ca coute pas grand chose pour rendre un garage lave auto friendly. J'ai ramassé des tubes de silicone, des panneaux en plastique4x8 au marcil et peinturé mon planché en epoxy.
Quand tu as finis tu passe un coup de squeegee et c'est sec.

Mon setup avec des neons sur les murs:
IMG_4363 by Fred, sur Flickr

J'ai jamais lavé mes auto a l'extérieur.... beaucoup mieux dans un garage. Tu peux prendre ton temps et tu peux la ciré sans avoir la poussière de l'extérieur qui colle après 1heure.
Ca coute pas grand chose pour rendre un garage lave auto friendly. J'ai ramassé des tubes de silicone, des panneaux en plastique4x8 au marcil et peinturé mon planché en epoxy.
Quand tu as finis tu passe un coup de squeegee et c'est sec.

Mon setup avec des neons sur les murs:
[url]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3761/9356126268_ff34017c59_z.jpg[/url]IMG_4363 by Fred, sur Flickr
Combien en tout comme projet pour rendre ça lave auto friendly ???

Dimension de ton garage svp ?
Merci

Envoyé de mon HTC One M9 en utilisant Tapatalk

inside carwash crew checking in. J'ai un garage double et l'eau ne se rends pas au mur. mes prises de courant sont à 4 pieds du sol et le bas des murs est recouvert. y'a rien qui bat laver un char à l'intérieur

Combien en tout comme projet pour rendre ça lave auto friendly ???

Dimension de ton garage svp ?
Merci

Envoyé de mon HTC One M9 en utilisant Tapatalk

Je me souvient pas trop des dimension exacte. C'est un garage simple d'une nouvelle construction avec une extension de 4 pied.
Peinture epoxy= 100-150$
6 panneaux 4x8 en plastic=120$
silicone=20$

Back