why am i being charged for not declaring my cars as stored

Wyze

Legacy Member
So on the weekend I wanted to plate my summer toys, so I went online to put my vehicles back on the road. Didn't work so I remembered that I had forgotten to declare my vehicles stored during the winter. No biggie it happens often enough, but this year they are charging me for the time that the vehicles weren't plated. No letters, no warnings, no notices or threats of fines. Just a bill for the 2 cars and my bike that wasn't declared stored. I looked all over the English saaq site and the only mention of a fine is 11$ for late registration. That's it that's all. Now on my behalf, its not the first time I've forgotten to declare my vehicles stored and I've never been charged before. I want to know if there is anything I can do to contest this or am I stuck paying this extortion

Thanks

So on the weekend I wanted to plate my summer toys, so I went online to put my vehicles back on the road. Didn't work so I remembered that I had forgotten to declare my vehicles stored during the winter. No biggie it happens often enough, but this year they are charging me for the time that the vehicles weren't plated. No letters, no warnings, no notices or threats of fines. Just a bill for the 2 cars and my bike that wasn't declared stored. I looked all over the English saaq site and the only mention of a fine is 11$ for late registration. That's it that's all. Now on my behalf, its not the first time I've forgotten to declare my vehicles stored and I've never been charged before. I want to know if there is anything I can do to contest this or am I stuck paying this extortion

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand. You forgot to tell them the vehicules were stored. So of course they are going to charge you for those months.

Ouan! You cant just tell them you didnt drive the car this winter... Everyone would do that lol

C'est comme ça que la SAAQ fonctionne. C'est beau hein!

T'avais pas le droit de circuler mais eux te chargent quand même pour les mois ou tu n'as pas circulé.

C'est un des "vestiges" si on veut d'un système dissuasif. Avant les scanner de plaque, c'était difficile pour les policiers de savoir qui payait et qui payait pas. En mettant un système comme ça, ça évitait que les gens qui prennent leur char une fois par mois ne paient leur plaques 2 ou 3 mois en retard en pensant sauver de l'argent.

OP a juste a payé ses plaque par mois toute se renouvelle tout seul.

ou OP avait juste a declarer REMISES ses vehicules remises ca coute rien et c'est ca que la loi dit de faire

une chose ne changera jamais sur MR c'est le "m'a contester" chaque fois qu'un ticket est recu a cause de l'idiotie d'un OP

Not sure I understand the question either here.

You put your car is storage status on the SAAQ website, it takes litteraly 30sec to do. If you didn't do that, then your car was on the road as far as the SAAQ is concerned.

I keep my summer plated all winter long because...well you never know what happen and idk i like it to be plated, but i don't complain that they charge me for this haha

I think i know what you mean

i tried to have some answer from the girl at the saaq and she was very evasive

In short if your registration are ending up lets say in october... you park you car in the garage in october...and never advise the saaq...

WHY ..because your fucking plate are ending and the you don't have the right to drive with it...

why advice them that you will not drive... your not allowed to drive anyway...and not paying is the confirmation of that fact

they are happy to say they are in no obligation to advice you ... so there are not linked to you after the end of it

but the reverse is different even after the end of it...you still have the obligation to advise them

in my case i sold the vehicle out of province so the saaq didn't know and the vehicle was not on qc road

but the saaq still think they have some kind of right to know and charge if you don't advise them

well that's it my plates were due in October, I didn't bother renewing because vehicles are stored. So its not like they can't see that my plates aren't paid, cars are not around so it slipped my mind. But the problem I have is that I've never been charged before for this, they have no mention on their site about this so that's the part that has me so pissed

well that's it my plates were due in October, I didn't bother renewing because vehicles are stored. So its not like they can't see that my plates aren't paid, cars are not around so it slipped my mind. But the problem I have is that I've never been charged before for this, they have no mention on their site about this so that's the part that has me so pissed

Here's the thing: they can't guess if you're going to store your vehicles or if you just forgot to pay your plates.

tiré du site de la saaq:

Si vous ne voulez pas renouveler l'immatriculation
Il faut indiquer la raison du non-renouvellement sur l'avis de renouvellement et nous le retourner par la poste. Vous éviterez ainsi de payer des frais supplémentaires et une partie du montant exigé pour l'immatriculation.

Donc OP a recu l'avis de renouvellement et l'a ignoré.

Back