24 hrs Le mans 2016

What a shame for Toyota, less than five minutes left

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep, engine failure. I guess Audi got a podium finish afterall. Lol

Porsche
Toyota 3 laps
Audi 12 laps

Wow. I was really really REALLY happy for Porsche (still am) But after seeing the faces of the Japanese crew i realise how much it must fucking suck for them :/

3 mins left in the race and their car gives out :/

2h7nl9c.jpg

Wow what a morning.

Chip Ganassi the man.

Japanese suicide rate just went up.

Yea, I've been watching Le Mans for the past 3 years and this was absolutely spectacular. I was watching all night, i was so sure Toyota had it. Still can't believe it ended the way it did. A Toyota actually broke down.

I can only image what its like being there in person. I look forward to asking oldschool what its like on the ground.

Good job at Ford. A win is a win but their sandbagging skills needs to be more subtle. You don't find 4s per lap just on setup changes from Le Mans test day to qualifying day.

Now that I found out about the whole BOP thing, GT class is dead to me. There just doesn't seem to have any motivations to make a better car when the race organizers can just nerf or buff cars like that. It might be good for people who want to see close races, but for someone like me who want to see tech innovations, it just seems ridiculous.
And I used to think that the GT class provides an indication of the speed of their production cars, how naive was I.

Now that I found out about the whole BOP thing, GT class is dead to me. There just doesn't seem to have any motivations to make a better car when the race organizers can just nerf or buff cars like that. It might be good for people who want to see close races, but for someone like me who want to see tech innovations, it just seems ridiculous.
And I used to think that the GT class provides an indication of the speed of their production cars, how naive was I.

Yea they were talking about that on Le Mans radio. Whats up with that? Can someone explain in detail how it works? Like is there a Bhp limit?

Yea they were talking about that on Le Mans radio. Whats up with that? Can someone explain in detail how it works? Like is there a Bhp limit?

I'm no expert but it's basically this. GT classes (GT3 or GTE) are cars that are based on production cars, you start with some regulations with restrictions on weight, size, power output etc. So keeping those regulations in mind, manufacturers start to make their race cars (again, based on road cars). After they finish making these cars, there will still be big performance differential between them, a Ferrari 458 is obviously still going to be faster than a 5000 lbs bentley, this is where Balance of Performance comes in, so at the beginning of the season, FIA will adjust the performance of each car, basically making slower car faster and faster car slower, so that the competition become more even.

This year at Lemans, there wasn't too much difference in lap times between the GTE cars during test days and free practice. But come qualifying Ford and Ferrari suddenly found 4-5 seconds advantage over the others. Needless to say there was an outrage, conspiracy theories are all over the place, justifiably imo, people were saying that the organizers are Ford's pocket and they wanted to recreate the historic competition between Ford and Ferrari. So they gave Ford and Ferrari weight increases, less boost for Ford as well I think. But clearly during the race, Ford and Ferrari were still faster than other cars.

With BOP in place, it doesn't mean that Ford and Ferrari are actually making better cars, it only means that they benefited from unfair BOP, so FIA basically has the power to decide who should be the winner.

Oh lordy...

Considering Risi is a privateer team.. Porsche and Corvette are joining Aston Martin and Ferrari in protest. Best field in recent history thrown away to create the story-line they wanted for Le Mans and Ford PR team. I'd also like to add that Porsche No.2 919 lights weren't working this AM either

Back