1990 Nissan 300ZX (N/A) Question

FieroAlex

Legacy Member
Hey Guys,

I need some advice.

I've owned several Z32's in the past but I sold my last one 6 years ago. All of my previous cars were TT's. I'm looking to get back in the game as we'd like to get another summer cruiser but this time we are going with an N/A as we do not need a TT.

I've found a car that I sorta like. I've driven many hours and seen 7 cars in 2 provinces and 1 state and so far it's the closest to what I am looking for but the problem is that the seller is a bit of a douche and I don't like him much. The car seems to run well, body work is clean and so is the interior. I feel the seller is playing stupid about the car and already lied to me about the A/C working and rust (although minor). Even though I would normally walk away from a car because of this, it really is a nice care compared to the junk I've seen in my price range.

I've found this issue with the car that I can't explain, I have no clue why it is this way and the seller doesn't seem to know.

The timing cover has the "cam gear" slots cut out to expose the gears. When the engine runs you can see them turn. The timing belt seems to have been replace in 96 or 06 I can't remember now. Does any one know WHY someone would cut out the timing cover to expose the cam gears? Also the passenger side cam gear seems to turn unevenly compared to the driver side but I believe it is only the cover (brass metal plate seen in the closeup below) that is on crooked giving it that off balance look.

Here are pictures of what I mean.

cams_zps9mzvopdf.jpg

zcam2_zpspqr80xac.jpg

zcams1_zps8h1ltcgg.jpg

This is what it should look like:

ftm3gm.jpg

I saw this car about 2 weeks ago now, I haven't given news to the seller yet because I've been pondering the issue for a while. No one could help me on the Ontario Z car forum or Reddit so I'm hoping someone here might have some advice.

Thanks

it would be for me, especially since the timing belt on a Z can be expensive and a pain to do.

also, from looking at the pictures you see how dirty the covers are and there is some oil leak from the left side (look on the coolant tube)

double also, i dont know if you are on the group, but you might be interested in joining since it's a Z dedicated page (owned by me) there might be some Z that could interest you in there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/167426003462843/

Thanks I joined the group.

I was hoping to get a car in time for zcon but that looks less and less likely.

We know what we want. NA LHD manual with reasonable miles, no rust and in good shape. We are picky on the body and interior colors and prefer 2 seaters.

Many of the cars I've checked out seem to be running rough, or require more body or interior work than I'd like. They aren't as common as they used to be that's for sure.

Back