Montreal Drivers: You suck (Accident 13 North)

Fuzz

Section Moderator
This morning at around 8:30am, there was a 'coming together' of two vehicles just past Boul Samson on the 13 North. The end result. Two cars heavy into the left guard rail, including one that hit twice, the initial impact - sending it back into the middle and right land lane and flinging debris everywhere before coming to a rest hard back into the left guard rail.

There was a minefield of parts that were laid to rest in the middle of the highway, including bumpers, axles, suspension parts, including a fully assembled wheel/hub/brake/shock/LCA. This accident happened with about 30 cars around them, miraculously missing them; except for a trucker where the afore mentioned wheel assembly went flying through the air and hit his truck.

Two bashed up cars, a woman trapped in her vehicle, head trauma, broken wrist, and I am sure many cuts, bruises and what have you.

It was a pretty spectacular crash in terms of a street accident. But what happened next is what really scares me.

Driver's did nothing. With the exception of 1 person and myself, nobody stopped. Nobody pulled over. Nobody could be bothered.

I was about 400 to 500 feet back when it happened. I was in a second 'wave' of cars coming off of the bridge. I had 911 dialed before the dust settled. Initially I had parked on the shoulder, but then after I see people swerving to miss debris; and they are swerving into the left lane, with a decent amount of speed, near the impacted vehicles, and myself talking with 911 operators... I move my car and I parked it squarely in the left lane.

My hopes was that it would force drivers into the middle lane, and keep a safe distance between the smashed up cars, the people standing around who were involved. Nope. As soon as people got past my car they cut back into the left hand lane and slam the gas pedal passed the smashed cars, people and bits of debris. It wasn't until I started piling the debris from the other lanes into the left hand lane did people start to get the message that... maybe I shouldn't try and drive by there.

I'm absolutely disgusted by what I saw from Montreal motorists today. I used to think the 'move over laws' were pointless. I said... Common sense. I learned today that without them, people are too stupid to understand to give other people room... police, pedestrians, accident victims, truckers.

You know... staying 1 lane over for 15 second to drive past an accident scene doesn't change your life. But it could end mine.

I whole heartily agree. It's just a self-centered mentality here.

In other news, we should permanently ban taxis from our streets.

They are pure f*cking cancer. Let Uber take over, I don't give a sh!t. If you can't drive, don't.

i agree with you, but i always have this fear of getting out to help someone in distress and then getting pummelled by a driver who isn't paying attention

I never ever experienced such a hard year as a driver honnestly. People are just asshole this year. Nobody gives a fuck about ANYTHING anymore. Road rage, nervous people, semi panicked people driving around because I need that job, never seen so many blattant mistakes on the road than this year. Im 33. This year is just horrible. Maybe because gas price?

Tell me about it. This morning i saw a person driving down the wrong way on a major street in the city (newman blvd. In lasalle) then when she realized she was going the wrong way she hopped the sidewalk drove up some grass into a strip mall parking lot. So i go after the person to ask if they're ok. (Of course ends up being an asian lady with her husban or something sitting in the back seat). I ask if shes ok. She nervously says no and i say why dont you pull over park the car and take a rest because you driving is very dangerous, and that maybe ahe ahould go do her liscense again. They both started chuckling as if what she did was funny. This kind of reaction pisses me off. I was so close to getting out my car taking the keys out and calling the cops.

Tell me about it. This morning i saw a person driving down the wrong way on a major street in the city (newman blvd. In lasalle) then when she realized she was going the wrong way she hopped the sidewalk drove up some grass into a strip mall parking lot. So i go after the person to ask if they're ok. (Of course ends up being an asian lady with her husban or something sitting in the back seat). I ask if shes ok. She nervously says no and i say why dont you pull over park the car and take a rest because you driving is very dangerous, and that maybe ahe ahould go do her liscense again. They both started chuckling as if what she did was funny. This kind of reaction pisses me off. I was so close to getting out my car taking the keys out and calling the cops.

No mai faaauuult not mai foooolt! Husband seid turn heee, i tun heeye!!

Nous c'est l'inverse

A Sherbrooke quand y'a un accident, tout le monde arrete, meme le monde qui passait pas dans le coin font le détour pour venir voir ce qui se passe.

Ca fini que les services d'urgences arrivent au milieu de 25-30 chars arreter, 30-40 personnes autour....

lol

Trust me coming back from my European (Germany) vacation it seems worse. In Germany people respect the traffic laws, drive with a constant steady flow, if people wanna merge they let them if there's a stop, they stop.

Then I come back to Montreal and to use your blinkers actually force people to accelerate so you can't merge, people don't signal, drive slow in the left lane, cut 2 lanes last minute to take an exit........ my blood pressure was so nice with walking around and enjoying European food and then I came back and it's back to shit

Tu dramatises. A chaque fois que je vois un accident, c'est exactement le contraire qui se produit: trop de monde qui arrêtent pour rien.

Trust me coming back from my European (Germany) vacation it seems worse. In Germany people respect the traffic laws, drive with a constant steady flow, if people wanna merge they let them if there's a stop, they stop.

Because they have very strict enforcement of the traffic laws. For example failing to indicate is not only a huge fine, but your first offense if serious enough can lead you straight to jail with license suspension. Its easy to loss your license there if your not a confident respectful driver.

My life is worth more to me and my family than to pick up debris on a busy highway to try to divert traffic. Fuck that. All it takes is an old lady in firefly while you're being hero or semi into the rear of your parked car and your dead. Let the police take care of it.

People are bad drivers though, I agree.

Exactement, laisse les employés surpayé du MTQ avec leur pickup ramasser les débris, beau plan de nègre pour ce faire frapper par une épaisse qui regarde son cellulaire

le Doc mailloux a perdu sa jambes dans des circonstances similaires

My life is worth more to me and my family than to pick up debris on a busy highway to try to divert traffic. Fuck that. All it takes is an old lady in firefly while you're being hero or semi into the rear of your parked car and your dead. Let the police take care of it.

What if it was you, or your family?? Remember that everyone is SOMEONES Son, Daughter, Father, Mother, Wife, Husband, or Kid. Life in of itself is risky. This lady was driving along minding her own business when she got into that accident. At no time was my life at any more risk than it is normally. The thing with an accident is everyone likes to stop to look. It's after is when they drive like idiots.

How many of you know that you actually have a lawful responsibility to provide assistance?? People like to take things like... Freedom of Speech, Religion, and says things like I have my rights, I have my rights. You know what one of your so called 'Rights' is? It's the second one written into the Charter of Rights and Freedoms...

2. Every human being whose life is in peril has a right to assistance.

Every person must come to the aid of anyone whose life is in peril, either personally or calling for aid, by giving him/her the necessary and immediate physical assistance, unless it involves danger to himself/herself or a third person, or he/she has another valid reason.

From the time of the accident to the time the police got there, I'd say 6 or 7 minutes went by. In those few minutes, not a single person bothered to stop, or even roll down their window and say... Can I call 911??

Nope. That is everyone's attitude. Let someone else do it. I can't be bothered.

Because they have very strict enforcement of the traffic laws. For example failing to indicate is not only a huge fine, but your first offense if serious enough can lead you straight to jail with license suspension. Its easy to loss your license there if your not a confident respectful driver.

I didn't know that but I also noticed that the polizei didn't really seem to enforce laws, they were actually very approachable and in the 2 weeks I have not seen 1 person getting pulled over. I almost had the impression they were there for show.
I think it also goes with the European mentality. check this picture out that I took

20160729_160844.jpg

I noticed this guy on the bike pull up and stop as the pedestrian light was green and his was red (just like a car) and then I crossed and looked back to see if he was still there, lo and behold he's still there and still off the bike waiting, the light on the pedestrian just turned red and I took that pic. If you also look around there's no traffic yet he did stop.
Goddamn Germans I love you.

I didn't know that but I also noticed that the polizei didn't really seem to enforce laws, they were actually very approachable and in the 2 weeks I have not seen 1 person getting pulled over. I almost had the impression they were there for show.

because here in quebec they are everywere collecting money..over there they are actually doing thier job..

I
I noticed this guy on the bike pull up and stop as the pedestrian light was green and his was red (just like a car) and then I crossed and looked back to see if he was still there, lo and behold he's still there and still off the bike waiting, the light on the pedestrian just turned red and I took that pic. If you also look around there's no traffic yet he did stop.
Goddamn Germans I love you.

dont get me started on the bikes.. i was downtown on maisonneuve last weekend and the amount of bikers that were riding no helmet and just cutting lanes and intersections and not using the bike lanes...then they cry that we dont share the road...

As for OP.. Ive personnally stopped before..but if its in rushour on the left lane id just call the cops and continue with my life...like MTV said.. everyone are morons and its not going to get better...if i get into an accident i dont expect any of those idiots to come help me..

Nice isn't it! Civilized motoring for all. He has the same laws as other motorized traffic so you burn a red light on a bike and your treated like you would in a car. Fair for all. Don't forget most intersections have light/speed cameras to catch infractions. To see a cop dealing with a traffic infraction in germany means the drive is in big shit!

If we want to improve our road manners like OP points out more of us will have to 'lead by example'. I've notice here that when people follow me on the highway they emulate what I do. Indicate to pass in the left lane a cruise in the right, rinse repeat. And I see in my rear-view that they copy it.

I'm not surprised the majority would just leave someone heavily injured to sit and wait with no help.

If it was your family, you'd be OK knowing they sat their while no one helped?

As a motorcyclist and car enthusiast, I consider other cars/drivers on the road as enemies.
That's how you remain alive, mainly on 2 wheels.
Idiots around you crash, well too bad and fuck you I am out of there safe and sound.

Back