Backup Important Files at Home

Raptor_86

What do you use to backup Important Files at Home?

I used to have a personal Cloud Website, for free, but since I exceeded the available space, 50GB, no synchronisation is being done no more (MEGA Backup from New Zealand).

Any free or Cost-less alternatives for that space?

Personal External Hard drive?

I heard about NAS Servers but do not know much about them...

I use a home NAS with another NAS at the cottage and a disk to carry between both.

not cheap but no cloud stuff and 100% safe in any case (fire, theft, etc)

You won't have cheap solution other than free cloud service, or one single external HDD (no redundancy)

What do you use to backup Important Files at Home?

I used to have a personal Cloud Website, for free, but since I exceeded the available space, 50GB, no synchronisation is being done no more (MEGA Backup from New Zealand).

Any free or Cost-less alternatives for that space?

Personal External Hard drive?

I heard about NAS Servers but do not know much about them...

I personally don't trust cloud services like Dropbox and so on if only because they're usually hosted in another country and that the FBI/CIA/etc can close them down whenever they want for no reason, "hackers" can get in and steal hour shit. Not for me thanks, I also usually don't recommend cloud based storage for my workplace.

Depending on your budget vs how important your data is you could get a local single drive NAS for 100$ at Best Buy or Canada Computers or you could get a full fledged Q-Nap RAID NAS drive for 300$+ the drives (get the RED NAS drives if you're going to put them in a NAS.)

Then depending on how secure your home is against fire/theft you might want to get another NAS to place at a friend/relative's house and backup some of your more important data there. You can reciprocate by offering to host their data at your home. This is effective and simple as long as you trust the other person and that you both have a good internet plan (i.e. unlimited or high cap like 500Gb.)

Make sure both ends of the data are encrypted/protected so your friend doesn't get to see your GF's sex tape and you don't get to see his dick pics. This is easy to do with any entry level Q-Nap or Synology drive among others.

If you're the local IT guy like me you can even get a NAS drive and back your more important and sensitive shit up at work. Nobody will care and you will have the password or encryption key in case.

I personally don't trust cloud services like Dropbox and so on if only because they're usually hosted in another country and that the FBI/CIA/etc can close them down whenever they want for no reason, "hackers" can get in and steal hour shit. Not for me thanks, I also usually don't recommend cloud based storage for my workplace.

Depending on your budget vs how important your data is you could get a local single drive NAS for 100$ at Best Buy or Canada Computers or you could get a full fledged Q-Nap RAID NAS drive for 300$+ the drives (get the RED NAS drives if you're going to put them in a NAS.)

Then depending on how secure your home is against fire/theft you might want to get another NAS to place at a friend/relative's house and backup some of your more important data there. You can reciprocate by offering to host their data at your home. This is effective and simple as long as you trust the other person and that you both have a good internet plan (i.e. unlimited or high cap like 500Gb.)

Make sure both ends of the data are encrypted/protected so your friend doesn't get to see your GF's sex tape and you don't get to see his dick pics. This is easy to do with any entry level Q-Nap or Synology drive among others.

If you're the local IT guy like me you can even get a NAS drive and back your more important and sensitive shit up at work. Nobody will care and you will have the password or encryption key in case.

Thanks for that, good idea, 100$ is in my budget line. Data is not that sensitive... but still important.

j'ecris toute sur un papier

mystere.jpg

I use a cloud service for my pictures and videos, you get 1Tb for free on Flickr but its only for photos and videos.

Since thats usually what takes more space, the rest is just backed up on another cloud service or a second hard drive

Lol some of the answers on here are funny. Sign up for Crashplan or Backblaze and be done with it. Most robust options available for the regular crowd.

I have to stand corrected on the 100$ price though as I can't seem to find anything under 200$. I bought a 1Tb NAS a couple years ago for 99$ at Future Shop but I see it's not available any longer. It's outrageously slow but it's perfect for backups you'd run overnight with Syncback Free.

[edit] I thought it was iOmega, it's this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/NetDisk-ENCL-...1471964082&sr=8-1&keywords=NDAS+network+drive

Exactly.

j'ai cet enclosure la...fonctionne bien sauf que trouver le logiciel devenais une plaie !

Yup. Crashplan here. 448 bit encryption on the local machine before going in the cloud.

Not that my data really needs that much encryption but it is safer.

Also, a NAS is nice but you have to maintain it, and it's in your house so it becomes useless if your loss your home to a fire or whatever.

We use crashplan on the work laptops, works well.

I have a NAS at the cottage so no risk for fire/theft/etc. I stream from it to any device without using data, it has uTorrent, my Dropbox sync, etc, without having any computer on in the house.

Back