2016 Porsche 911 R: Already a Legend. For Good Reason? - Ignition Ep. 161

If you wish to talk about soul then talk about the torsion bar suspension cars.. 964s still retained the trailing arm rear setup but had coil springs on all corners. Hell 964/993 is the same setup up front! 993 got new rear suspesnion.. I believe most people who praise the cars have never driven an older 911... They are great machines but they aren't perfect either. As much as the internet craps on 996s at the end of the day it's the one that offers best bang to buck ratio. As much as I do love the older cars and have built a client base.. They are far from perfect.

They are far from perfect, they are not that fast, but they have that mechanical connection... And that sound!!!!

It's a little funny to me how they can in effect build a stripper model (with a few premium bits) and have people pay so much MORE for the things they're effectively missing.

Less sound deadening? More money please. 20$ porsche badge? nein. Pay us more for the 2$ sticker. Cool areo bits? removed for your convenience!

I've got vinyl floor, crank windows, no A/C and a stick shift in my truck. Using porsche logic, it should fetch a premium over the better appointed models for the genuine work truck experience.

If they really cared about the experience and wanted more people to be able to enjoy it, they'd start off with a base model carrera, strip away the things that aren't needed and start substracting from the mainstream model's price. Oh, and build more than a handfull so they actually get driven.

It's a little funny to me how they can in effect build a stripper model (with a few premium bits) and have people pay so much MORE for the things they're effectively missing.

it has been the same forever with Porsche, the "delete" options and "race" models are more expensive than loaded ones. and they keep/increase in value much more too.

964 RS America were almost the same price as regular ones a few years ago and now they are triple the value.

it has been the same forever with Porsche, the "delete" options and "race" models are more expensive than loaded ones. and they keep/increase in value much more too.

964 RS America were almost the same price as regular ones a few years ago and now they are triple the value.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like it would be nice if the automotive journalists called them out on it for a change.

1) Get access to "exclusive model"
2)Make it sound like it's out of this world when objectively the most significant accomplishment was raiding the previous gen parts bin for a transmission and sticking it in the current chassis + fluff

3)Go overboard with praise to ensure access to the next "exclusive model"

It's like a never ending circle jerk.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like it would be nice if the automotive journalists called them out on it for a change.

1) Get access to "exclusive model"
2)Make it sound like it's out of this world when objectively the most significant accomplishment was raiding the previous gen parts bin for a transmission and sticking it in the current chassis + fluff

3)Go overboard with praise to ensure access to the next "exclusive model"

It's like a never ending circle jerk.

Journalists are either paid to promote the product, or will promote the product themselves to stay on good terms with the manufacturer so they keep getting sent cars.

They are far from perfect, they are not that fast, but they have that mechanical connection... And that sound!!!!

The 964 had a bunch of electronics compared to older 911, honestly I don't find the drive that much involving and the steering is a bit slow. Nice car to look at, not that great to own imo.

I should've said "inb4 Broody bashing his father's 964"

You must drive like a wuss to find a 964 not that great.

Every single thread here about the 964 you come here to bash it. I think you're the less car enthusiast on this forum and your father owning one doesn't make you more of one.

Those cars (air cooled up to 993) have a status from all owners and they are not overpriced because they are "not that great". They are the ultimate drivers car outside of exotics.

You want more proof, every single day there are articles that praises about air cooled Porsches.

Latest one:
https://youtu.be/N6pdwdMjkZE

With a 100% unbiaised opinion, my mr2 offers 95% of the driving experience and performances of a 964. These cars look great and are different for sure, but back then, their advance vs Japanese sports cars was really thin. And no regular Porsche has ever been the ultimate driving machine, they have always been fun to drive GTs with daily driving capabilities. But at any time you could find a more fun to drive and connected car, either from UK or Japan.

So, as odd as it may seem, I'd say that Porsches have an advantage over other expensive and fragile supercars, or full size GTs, but don't compare that well with cheaper, more fun to drive cars, at least when we talk about air cooled models.

And I'm a car enthusiast, but I'm enthusiast about really unique cars or good bang for the buck cars, couldn't care less about expensive cars I can't afford or bibelots, and I care even less about how many articles were written on a car. I didn't see a single mr2 or even a die cast model of it in my trip in Japan, but I still enjoy it as much as I would enjoy a jdm that has a big following (ae86, skyline) because its simply a good and fun car. Same for my older motorcycle.

First time I've read an mr2 compared to a 964. You need a map to follow that logic!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I've never driven one. But a guards red 930 is to this day still at the very top of my wish list.

No old car is perfect. They arent the most reliable, best on gas. And we accept this. yet we love them because of how they feel when they do work. Those rare moments when nothing is wrong and everything feels just right.

Im talking from my experience driving my old mk3 (lol) and i can only imagine owning a 930 must be the same but cranked all the way up to 11.

The thing though, is that a 964 doesn't really has that old raw feeling that people rave about. Its a car with acceptable comfort, electronics and fairly disconnected steering (first power steered 911 so they probably didn't master it back then). Remove the rear mounted flat six (not so torquey and sounds like a tractor) and awesome style and nobody would talk about its "superior drive"

Back