2016 Porsche 911 R: Already a Legend. For Good Reason? - Ignition Ep. 161

Never driven a classic 911, never driven an MR2. My neighbor has a mint MR2, and not once did I ever ask him for a ride or even bother to talk about his car.

On the other hand, if my neighbour had a classic 911, I would be in his driveway nearly everyday.

Maybe on a personal level for you it's comparable, but the feeling both cars give me is on complete opposite ends.

I'm talking behind the wheel. I would indeed enjoy the sight of a 911 in my neighbor's driveway, nice view and no need to pay the maintenance.

The thing with the 964 is that it wasn't developed at a very good time for Porsche. The company was in a very difficult financial state in the late 80s/early 90s and their car weren't selling well at all. The 964 wasn't supposed to be a ground breaking car from the beginning, but more of a modernized G series (Coilsprings suspension, power steering and components directly taken from the 959... ). The 964 Turbo was pretty much an old 930 mechanically wise (3.3 cis with a G50 gearbox).

Porsche needed a car that could be more competitive and more luxurious. Lets face it, Japanese sports cars were on top of their games in the early 90s.

The thing with the 964 is that it wasn't developed at a very good time for Porsche. The company was in a very difficult financial state in the late 80s/early 90s and their car weren't selling well at all. The 964 wasn't supposed to be a ground breaking car from the beginning, but more of a modernized G series (Coilsprings suspension, power steering and components directly taken from the 959... ). The 964 Turbo was pretty much an old 930 mechanically wise (3.3 cis with a G50 gearbox).

Porsche needed a car that could be more competitive and more luxurious. Lets face it, Japanese sports cars were on top of their games in the early 90s.

The fact they held onto CIS for so damn long is almost comical. Even by the early 80s everyone had gone EFI! If you ever look under a 964 in the rear you can still see where the torsion bars would have gone

EFI conversion is probably the best upgrade you can do to a 930/964 Turbo. It seems like its a very expensive process though.

Its kinda funny how the 964 hijacked the thread about what is arguably the best 911 ever made. I would still take a 997.2 GT3 RS before it for some reasons.

EFI conversion is probably the best upgrade you can do to a 930/964 Turbo. It seems like its a very expensive process though.

Considered it for my 930 and it's indeed expensive to do it right, if you can't do the work yourself. It will vastly improve drivability and fuel efficiency. I got an average of 25L / 100km on mine with the CIS.... However, the conversion is frown upon by purists, who believe a 930 should remain 100% original. So it should be made completely reversible, too avoid hurting resale value.

Back